The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Mock Draft - Canucks take Kempe

I did this Mock draft up for the site I write for. Enjoy and let the conversation begin. :towel:

Follow me on Twitter @IanEsplen for Fun, Flames, WHL and the Draft

Based on standings as of March 7th.

1- BUF- Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay

I still think he's the safest pick of what I'm calling the "Big 4. Buffalo can't pass on that as they re-build.

2- EDM- Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie

Edmonton needs and everyone believes that they get it along with their future captain - sorry Taylor.

3- FLA- Sam Bennett, C/LW, Kingston

All he does is put up points and play a complete game. He'll fit in well with all of the Panthers young players. I wonder though, would the Panthers move up for Ekblad?

4- NYI- Leon Draisaitl, C/LW, Prince Albert

When it's all said and done, Draisaitl, might be the best player in the draft. He could likely step into a number of NHL lineups next season.

5- CAL- Nicholas Ritchie, LW, Peterborough

Brian Burke type of guy. I haven't seen a 6'3, 230 pound player with his skill since Todd Bertuzzi in his prime.

6- NASH- Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa

The Preds are always on the hunt for offence and Dal Colle can certainly provide that.

7- CAR- Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Halifax

He might be the fastest player in the draft and he knows how to finish. Canes could use a little of that.

8- AHN (FROM OTT)- Julius Honka, D, Swift Current

This kid is Erik Karlsson 2.0. He's can do it all and makes the forwards better every time he's on the ice.

9- VAN- Adrian Kempe, C/LW, MoDo

Mike Gillis wants a centre, he wants speed and he wants size. Kempe is all of that and he's close to NHL ready because of the intensity he plays with. Think Hanzal worst case, Mikko Koivu best case.

10- WPG- Haydn Fleury, D, Red Deer

He's thos draft's darkhourse on D. players with his size, skating and skill are tough to find. Think J-Bo.

11- WASH- Anthony DeAngelo, D, Sarnia

Mike Greens days might be numbered. DeAngelo is the perfect air apparent - the ultimate rover.

12- PHX- William Nylander, C/LW, Sodertalje

He's slipping a litel, but still has incredible skill. Make four years in a row that the Yotes take former NHLers kids.

13- CBJ- Brendan Perlini, LW, Niagara

He's got pretty good skill level and fits the big, rugged style the the Jackets like to play.

14- DAL- Jake Virtanen, LW, Calgary

This kid just screams Dallas. He's got great hands, great speed and a great shot. The perfect winger to slot in with Benn and Seguin in a few years.

15-DET- Kasperi Kapanen, LW, KalPa

Wings like to go to Europe and Kapanen plays a Detroit type of game. The kids got a ton of skill and he isn't afraid to backcheck.

16- NYR-Nikolay Goldobin, LW, Sarnia

He's one of the move poise and dagerous scorers in the draft. Give him a few years and he should be popping in 30 a year.

17- PHI- David Pastrnak, RW, Sodertalje

Hands down, best stick handler in the draft. This kid can make defenders look silly.

18- TB- Roland McKeown, D, Kingston

There's a lot of good young forwards in Tampa, but they could stand to add a D to that group. McKeown is an excellent skater that should be able to log 25 minutes a night one day.

19- TOR- Jared McCann, C, Sault Ste. Marie

He's had a streaky year, but when he's playing well he's a top-10 player in this years draft class.

20- MIN- Robert Fabbri, C, Guelph

If he was just a little bigger he'd likely be a top-10 pick. He's an excellent skater with skill and an edge. Watch for him to rise by June.

21- MTL- Alex Tuch, RW, USADP

The Canadiens always seem to lack size, but adding Tuch should solve that. Tuch is big, physical and he can play a little.

22- LA- Conner Bleackley, C, Red Deer

One of my favourite players in the draft, Bleackley just oozes character and work ethic. He also plays for Brent Sutter, so Darryl will have a lot of intel on him.

23- BOS- Josh Ho-Sang, C /LW, Windsor

When is come to pure skill and athletic ability, Ho-Sang has it. He also has some swagger and I see that fitting in well with the Bruins.

24- SJ- Brayden Point, C, Moose Jaw

He's gets over looked by some because of his size, but this kid has hands that are in the top-5 in this years draft and I think he's got a little Marty St. Louis in him.

25- COL- Ivan Barbashev, C/LW, Moncton

This kid is just a real solid hockey player. He doesn't really play like a Russian and being from the Q, Roy will know him well.

26- CHI- Jack Dougherty, D, USADP

Not the quickest skater, but he's more then adequate in that area. In a lot of ways he reminds me a little of John Carlson.

27- PIT- Sonny Milano, LW, USADP

Another player that is loaded with skill, Milano makes the players around himself better. And while he might be 3-4 years away, the Pens can wait on him.

28- STL- Joe Hicketts, D, Victoria

He's missed a lot of time with an injury, but this kid is the real deal. You win with guys like Joe Hicketts and the offence he brings an't bad either.

29- AHN- Eric Cornel, C, Peterborough

He's a big, physical player that just looks like a fit with the Ducks. He might end up being one of the steals on draft day.

30- NJ- Jayce Hawryluk, C, Brandon

He's a great skater, with a pretty good set of hands and he doesn't mind mixing it up. Hard to tell if he's a top-6, but he should be a sure-fire top-9 who is close to NHL ready.

Thoughts on the picks?

Ian

honestly a bad mock. Kempe doesn't have the ceiling you look for in a top 10 pick, despite being a probable lock to play in the NHL with his balance of abilities. Also Honka is not a top 10 pick at 5'7 or whatever he is. The logic of the washington pick is questionable "Mike green is unwanted, so they draft a clone of him, thereby not solving any problems"

Virtanen and Perlini also go much higher

honestly a bad mock. Kempe doesn't have the ceiling you look for in a top 10 pick, despite being a probable lock to play in the NHL with his balance of abilities. Also Honka is not a top 10 pick at 5'7 or whatever he is. The logic of the washington pick is questionable "Mike green is unwanted, so they draft a clone of him, thereby not solving any problems"

Virtanen and Perlini also go much higher

Where to start....Kempe is going to be a player.

I've stood next to Honka and trust me, whoever says he's 5'7 is wrong. I'd guess he's more in the 5'10-5'11 area now - size isn't a problem with him.

I like Virtanen too, but 1- we Know Gillis is crazy for centres. 2- we know the Canucks don't like taking kids out of the Dub.

If I was guessing and Gillis is still GM, Vancouver takes a centre.

Where to start....Kempe is going to be a player.

I've stood next to Honka and trust me, whoever says he's 5'7 is wrong. I'd guess he's more in the 5'10-5'11 area now - size isn't a problem with him.

I like Virtanen too, but 1- we Know Gillis is crazy for centres. 2- we know the Canucks don't like taking kids out of the Dub.

If I was guessing and Gillis is still GM, Vancouver takes a centre.

He must have grown 3 inches from the time I saw him in portland in october.

Kempe will be a player, but not the high end type that's still on the table at that pick. I agree that it would be a "gillis" pick, but not the best move

He must have grown 3 inches from the time I saw him in portland in october.

Kempe will be a player, but not the high end type that's still on the table at that pick. I agree that it would be a "gillis" pick, but not the best move

Must have.

In all honesty, I'd likely take Haydn Fleury, but I wanted to factor in Gillis.

What's so special about Virtanen? 67 points in 67 games? Gillis better not draft him because he's a "BC boy". Pretty poor reason to draft a player if you ask me

A point a game in the WHL is above average. Virtanen is only 18 and he's 6'1" and 210lbs already. He's like a power forward that can snipe.

What's so special about Virtanen? 67 points in 67 games? Gillis better not draft him because he's a "BC boy". Pretty poor reason to draft a player if you ask me

PPG natural RW with size, just turned 18 over200 pounds over 6 feet tall. he can skate, he hits has a solid 2 way game playing in the WHL and isn't afraid to drop the mitts. Added he's a local so the potential of discounts to play at home on salary.

We as prospects only have Grenier and Jensen at RW. We need that and PMD's or D with size finally. Ritchie Perlini are also good options if Dal Colle is gone, but as of now we can start drafting what we need for the org and not just strictly "BPA"

Lazar had 62 points in 71 games last season and he was picked 17th.

WHL-

Total Goals- 3855

Total Games- 1162

Goals Per Game Per Team- 3.32

OHL-

Total Goals- 4596

Total Games- 1360

Goals Per Game Per Team- 3.38

QMJHL-

Total Goals- 4277

Total Games- 1224

Goals Per Game Per Team- 3.49

I be surprised if we selected 10, (i'm thinking we will select even higher come june, as this team will continue to drop) and even if we did have 10th, I be shocked to see him draft Kempe. Really hoping Vancouver can fall to the top 5. Those players are pretty much Tier 1.

Man a top 5 pick and a trade for a pick in the 6-10th range would do nothing but wonders for our future. Say we trade Kesler to the team with the 10th overall in a package (I'll use the Islanders as an example: Strome, 10th overall, 40th overall)

5th - Michael Dal Colle

10th - Jake Virtanen

Dal Colle - Strome - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Fox - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Cassels - Grenier

A point a game in the WHL is above average. Virtanen is only 18 and he's 6'1" and 210lbs already. He's like a power forward that can snipe.

PPG natural RW with size, just turned 18 over200 pounds over 6 feet tall. he can skate, he hits has a solid 2 way game playing in the WHL and isn't afraid to drop the mitts. Added he's a local so the potential of discounts to play at home on salary.

Why do ppl think JV is 18 or just turned 18??? He is 5 months away from his 18th birthday, making his season to date an excellent one relative to age.

He also plays on the 2nd line and 2nd PP, so keep that in perspective when stat scouting. His production will be a bit lower than others who see top minutes at ES and special teams. I also wouldn't characterize virtanen as a guy willing to drop the gloves. Sure, he might to protect a teammate once in a while, but it isn't a main aspect in his game at all.

I also think virtanen could work on his two way game. Makes some careless mistakes when moving the puck in his own zone. It's frustrating to see him not clear the puck out of the zone and resulting in many turnovers. He needs to work on this area of his game.

I did this Mock draft up for the site I write for. Enjoy and let the conversation begin. :towel:

I have some concerns.

Cornel is tall, but I would not say he is big. Nick Ritchie is a big man. But Cornel is a stick figure in comparison. Think Mason Raymond kind of build. He has a nice tall frame. Cornel definitely has room to develop more strength and muscle. I would also not consider him physical. He lacks the strength to even do that in the OHL. I could probably count the number of hits I've seen him make on 2 hands. And I've seen more than a dozen games.

I have a really hard time seeing Hicketts drafted in the first. His size will play a major role against him. And to STL? I wouldn't bet on it.

Otherwise, interesting mock. Thanks.

Archived