The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shots fired on Parliament Hill, soldier shot at National War Memorial

Heretic

People die in this country daily.

3 days ago a woman was found having 6 count em 6 infants decomposing in a storage truck/unit. A man shot and killed or wounded a number of cops in the maritimes recently. Local first nations groups dredged the red river and assiniboinne in hopes of finding the remains of some of the literally dozens of missing women and teens. These are all terrible events. Horrific and they happen with regularity in our country.

But the last 4 days saw 2 men with beliefs attack our soldiers. We have a very right wing government lead by individuals with their own very public beliefs. In an election year that have just embroiled us in another conflict. These events happened within that time frame.

It's funny how the media can really dictate what is and is not a terrorist event.

Exactly. As tragic as this is, if it didn't happen at Parliament Hill and if it weren't an Islamic guy this wouldn't get nearly the same attention. The symbolism is really the only thing that makes this more of an "attack on our nation" than any other murder. I still feel safe in my bedroom, and the vast majority of Canadians can still go about their lives in peace. I'm honestly more afraid of the government stripping our freedoms than I am of any terrorist. Steven Harper's speech reminded me too much of American-style propaganda and fear, used to justify increased surveillance powers and decreased civil rights. It already it appears that our government is going to go down that road. We don't take away an entire nation's rights when some guy gets shot in Surrey, so why should we now?

Note: This isn't to downplay the death of an innocent man. Certainly what happened is awful. However, a couple of isolated incidents doesn't mean national security is threatened. I like Canada because it is peaceful, open, and free, and I want it to stay that way. I don't think one crime (no matter how terrible) should be an excuse to change the entire character of our country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorials/after-the-attack-were-still-canada/article21248043/

Calling it a terrorist attack is a bit of a stretch IMO. Just some mindless loser who can't think for himself getting bad ideas from media hype and ISIS propaganda, ISIS had little if anything to do with it, but like the liars they are, take credit for it. I doubt they even knew of this idiots existence until now.

Well that didn't take long.

10649621_823464737676654_320872811591270

The Cold Lake Mosque in Cold Lake, Alberta was vandalized Thursday night. Windows were smashed and graffiti instructing the worshipers to "go home" was painted on the building.

Then something uplifting happened.

Members of the Cold Lake community came together Friday morning to repair the damage and cover the broken windows with signs of support.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Takes a lot to impress me these days. Cold Lake I am impressed.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/volunteers-help-clean-vandalism-from-cold-lake-mosque-1.2069668#

The Cold Lake Mosque in Cold Lake, Alberta was vandalized Thursday night. Windows were smashed and graffiti instructing the worshipers to "go home" was painted on the building.

Members of the Cold Lake community came together Friday morning to repair the damage and cover the broken windows with signs of support.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/volunteers-help-clean-vandalism-from-cold-lake-mosque-1.2069668#

The real Canada will absolutely refuse to turn into America. In this I have no doubt.

We just have a different mindset. A different approach. On most things, but esp. world politics and multiculturalism over segregation.

It's why we're better. And it's painful to watch Harper and his NeoCons attempt to ruin this for everyone up here. He needs to go.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

good-job.jpg

The real Canada will absolutely refuse to turn into America. In this I have no doubt.

We just have a different mindset. A different approach. On most things, but esp. world politics and multiculturalism over segregation.

It's why we're better. And it's painful to watch Harper and his NeoCons attempt to ruin this for everyone up here. He needs to go.

I actually heart you a little for that post TML :wub:

Exactly. As tragic as this is, if it didn't happen at Parliament Hill and if it weren't an Islamic guy this wouldn't get nearly the same attention. The symbolism is really the only thing that makes this more of an "attack on our nation" than any other murder. I still feel safe in my bedroom, and the vast majority of Canadians can still go about their lives in peace. I'm honestly more afraid of the government stripping our freedoms than I am of any terrorist. Steven Harper's speech reminded me too much of American-style propaganda and fear, used to justify increased surveillance powers and decreased civil rights. It already it appears that our government is going to go down that road. We don't take away an entire nation's rights when some guy gets shot in Surrey, so why should we now?

Note: This isn't to downplay the death of an innocent man. Certainly what happened is awful. However, a couple of isolated incidents doesn't mean national security is threatened. I like Canada because it is peaceful, open, and free, and I want it to stay that way. I don't think one crime (no matter how terrible) should be an excuse to change the entire character of our country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorials/after-the-attack-were-still-canada/article21248043/

Really?

What "freedoms" do you think the government is going to take away from you?

The only thing that scares me about the government is how much money they waste.

Really?

What "freedoms" do you think the government is going to take away from you?

The only thing that scares me about the government is how much money they waste.

Well for starters, the right to maintain ones privacy.

The absence of transparency is not indicative of illegal or abhorrent behavior.

The first step to becoming a police state, is to strip everyone of their right to privacy. Remember the omnibus bills that the Harper group tried to pass in the House of Commons?

I don't give a damn if the NSA has already logged and stored my information, communications etc, however it takes very little for an accord to be reached for information sharing between governments. Governments meanwhile changing laws prior to such an accord so that once such information is obtained, that information can be used in whatever fashion by the government that can actually do something that directly affects my life.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, everything I've just said is rhetoric, however it's only a stones throw from what is actually happening around the world.

I am not entirely convinced that the utter destruction of a nations privacy is in the best interest of the people, especially when that destruction is spearheaded by an ultra right wing neo Fascist citing examples of isolated incidents under the guise of Terrorism and attacks on our Nation.

Well for starters, the right to maintain ones privacy.

The absence of transparency is not indicative of illegal or abhorrent behavior.

The first step to becoming a police state, is to strip everyone of their right to privacy. Remember the omnibus bills that the Harper group tried to pass in the House of Commons?

I don't give a damn if the NSA has already logged and stored my information, communications etc, however it takes very little for an accord to be reached for information sharing between governments. Governments meanwhile changing laws prior to such an accord so that once such information is obtained, that information can be used in whatever fashion by the government that can actually do something that directly affects my life.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, everything I've just said is rhetoric, however it's only a stones throw from what is actually happening around the world.

I am not entirely convinced that the utter destruction of a nations privacy is in the best interest of the people, especially when that destruction is spearheaded by an ultra right wing neo Fascist citing examples of isolated incidents under the guise of Terrorism and attacks on our Nation.

If you think your "privacy" is completely private now then you're living in a dream world.

The only way to accomplish that is to unplug and go live on a mountain somewhere - where no one can find you.

Seems to me people who do the most complaining have the most to hide. I know, over generalizing.

Archived