The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Midterm Elections - Republicans Now Controls Both Senate and House

DonLever

The Republicans are expected to take control of the Senate and maintain its grip on the House of Representatives. All they need is 6 seats to take over the Senate.

Actually it is the norm for the opposition to gains seats in the 2nd term of a sitting president as people are usually fatique/angry at the sitting president. As is the case with President Obama's low rating now.

Not that it really matters as there is already gridlock in the House and control in the Senate will make it worse.

I feel that the United States right now is on the threshold of turning from a democracy into a dictatorship. Or at least change from a popularist dictatorship to a more repressing version.

I noticed the change over 20 years ago, about the time the political and institutional torch was passed to the Boomers.

It didn't start with them but they have turbocharge facilitated the agenda both wilfully and in ignorance.

I feel that the United States right now is on the threshold of turning from a democracy into a dictatorship. Or at least change from a popularist dictatorship to a more repressing version.

How so? Not disagreeing with you, just curious how you are coming to that conclusion.

I noticed the change over 20 years ago, about the time the political and institutional torch was passed to the Boomers.

It didn't start with them but they have turbocharge facilitated the agenda both wilfully and in ignorance.

Do you have an opinions on why the baby boomers are so incompetent, if you would consider them incompetent?

I've heard people say that because the Boomers were part of a generation where it was much easier to succeed, they have an especially warped view of what works.

Do you have an opinions on why the baby boomers are so incompetent, if you would consider them incompetent?

I've heard people say that because the Boomers were part of a generation where it was much easier to succeed, they have an especially warped view of what works.

Both as a result of being decadently spoiled by circumstance and having an immense sense of entitlement, and also from being subjected to toxic conditioning in the classroom when they were young.

How so? Not disagreeing with you, just curious how you are coming to that conclusion.

The US is pretty much bankrupt, yet still going through expensive wars in order to maintain it's world status.

Corruption, greed and the corporate agenda has led to a growing and inevitable polarization of wealth classes that will lead to more anarchy movements which will need to be suppressed by a ruling government. The Patriot Act, the NSA, and drones are just a few tools used to do just that.

Enter in a scary unknown, unseen enemy abroad hell-bent on killing Americans, largely invented by a government-controlled media propaganda machine, and you have set the environment for a possible turn to the eradication of civil rights in favour of heightened security. When the government itself is attacked from these 'terrorists' from home or abroad, then the majority will support a move towards a far more strict dictatorship.

I think all it would take is one national tragedy, similar to 9/11 but on a larger scale, perhaps nuclear, that would afford the government to install a far more totalitarian government than what we're seeing today. People will applaud and cheer while their own rights are taken away. Fear, 'Patriotism' and Death will be the order of the time, and you could stamp slogan that on the all-seeing eye dollar bill. But maybe that's going a bit too far.

Still, using war as a distraction is pretty much formulaic for maintaining the wealth for the few in empires during whatever state of crumbling they're in.

The US is pretty much bankrupt, yet still going through expensive wars in order to maintain it's world status.

Corruption, greed and the corporate agenda has led to a growing and inevitable polarization of wealth classes that will lead to more anarchy movements which will need to be suppressed by a ruling government. The Patriot Act, the NSA, and drones are just a few tools used to do just that.

Enter in a scary unknown, unseen enemy abroad hell-bent on killing Americans, largely invented by a government-controlled media propaganda machine, and you have set the environment for a possible turn to the eradication of civil rights in favour of heightened security. When the government itself is attacked from these 'terrorists' from home or abroad, then the majority will support a move towards a far more strict dictatorship.

I think all it would take is one national tragedy, similar to 9/11 but on a larger scale, perhaps nuclear, that would afford the government to install a far more totalitarian government than what we're seeing today. People will applaud and cheer while their own rights are taken away. Fear, 'Patriotism' and Death will be the order of the time, and you could stamp slogan that on the all-seeing eye dollar bill. But maybe that's going a bit too far.

Still, using war as a distraction is pretty much formulaic for maintaining the wealth for the few in empires during whatever state of crumbling they're in.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0MCuuePNQg

Don't know how to post videos, but great song about what you speak of. The thing that gets me is how the general population is so dumbed down that they actually believe everything 100% that they're told without question. And that to question things is seen as an act of a traitor/terror.

Easily more? Hah! What a Whopper of a statement that is.

Hey, they have more ghettos, but there's a thing called the brain drain for a reason, and the direction is towards the US.

May I point us towards our own upcoming municipal elections, where in Burnaby the only two mayor candidates I have heard of seem to be running on a platform of banning PDAs (which would be constitutionally unviable, but hey, we still get to hear about it!) and another who seems to be running on a platform of stopping the pipeline expansion (of which he has about just as much control as the lady that wants to bad the PDAs).

And instead of worrying about how to fix up our own back yard, we look down south and focus on being morally superior.

P.S. Just wait until our economy takes the same hit every western country did, and then we can see how smart we are!

Archived