The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Midterm Elections - Republicans Now Controls Both Senate and House

DonLever

With a country of over 300 million people I don't think one can look at it from an "American perspective" and I don't think for a second that someone who dislikes the President is either sheep or a racist. In fact, I think the majority of those 300 million definitely are not racists.

However, my original comment was directed at a poster who claimed that the anti-Obama sentiment had nothing to do with racism, which I heartily disagree with.

I would also re-iterate that I don't believe Jan Brewer would have stuck her finger in the face of Bill Clinton.

Actually, I think he would.

You're right, i am merely one of 360 million and my perspective most certainly does not reflect the perspective of an entire country. But I do believe many Americans would share my irritation if they read some of the comments made in this thread.

And i wont disagree that some anti-Obama sentiment has a little something do with race. But i believe a majority of the anti-Obama sentiment has do with his decisions and policies and peoples disappointment would be the same whether he was white, brown, or polka-dotted.

As for whether Jan Brewer would have done that to Clinton...i honestly dont know. I mean, Clinton was impeached after all. If you dont mind me asking...do you think Clinton was fairly impeached?

With a country of over 300 million people I don't think one can look at it from an "American perspective" and I don't think for a second that someone who dislikes the President is either sheep or a racist. In fact, I think the majority of those 300 million definitely are not racists.

However, my original comment was directed at a poster who claimed that the anti-Obama sentiment had nothing to do with racism, which I heartily disagree with.

I would also re-iterate that I don't believe Jan Brewer would have stuck her finger in the face of Bill Clinton.

Actually, I think he would

To the bold, if you're referring to me, I never said it had "nothing" to do with racism, but that racism is hardly an issue anymore on this subject of elections, particularly with regards to the topic which was the rebuking of Obama's policies that led to Democrats losing the Senate, losing more House seats, and losing more governors seats. If you recall, in the 2006 midterms and the 2008 elections, much of the vote for Democrats was because of the essential hatred of Bush and his policies -- the exact same thing here, just flipped. Bush was often called a white trash redneck hillbilly, he was literally likened to apes and monkeys in general and nicknamed "chimp" -- with all the vitriol there, where was the complaints? The cries of racism? What would be said if Obama was likened to a chimp? I'm sure we all know.. dat's raaaaaacist. Anyhow, you wound up agreeing with me, the vast majority of Americans are not racist. So that's that.

But about the italicized portion, I didn't initially catch that poster suggesting you see things from the American perspective. An interesting piece of advice.. where have I heard that one before? ;)

If you can't put yourself in the historical shoes of the people you're discussing regarding how they should do their laws, with respect to their founding document and individual liberty that it centered around, why extrapolate so extensively on these country-specific issues? You really think Canadians would care what Americans think about gun laws here? Why do you think I don't bother trying to push the issue of a second amendment here in Canada? Duh, because our circumstances are not the same. Our mentality about our freedoms, our relationship with the government is not the same. We don't face the type of violence Americans face, with and without guns involved. Violent crime is hardly an issue whatsoever in comparison, so the need for a person to defend themselves by violence is likewise a non-factor. People often accuse Americans of ignorance and belligerence, but really, I see that often from Canadians regarding American freedoms, namely the second amendment.

You're right, i am merely one of 360 million and my perspective most certainly does not reflect the perspective of an entire country. But I do believe many Americans would share my irritation if they read some of the comments made in this thread.

And i wont disagree that some anti-Obama sentiment has a little something do with race. But i believe a majority of the anti-Obama sentiment has do with his decisions and policies and peoples disappointment would be the same whether he was white, brown, or polka-dotted.

As for whether Jan Brewer would have done that to Clinton...i honestly dont know. I mean, Clinton was impeached after all. If you dont mind me asking...do you think Clinton was fairly impeached?

316 Million people in the US. It will be a very long time until it's 360 million. Population growth has slowed down dramatically.

I think conservatives need to grow a pair of balls and stop cowering when liberals or the media try to play this race card.

Honestly, I'm not even a social "conservative" yet I'm fracking sick of liberals and their retarded race card.

While the same could be said about Republicans and the religious right, I bet Democrats sure love the fact that they have most minorities under their thumb. As soon as these minorities grow an independent thought process or conscience and don't tow the liberal line, they're equated to Uncle Tom's or people who can't think for themselves. If liberals had any sort of morals themselves, they'd see how the way they treat minorities, whether it be blacks, latinos, gays, etc., is not enabling of people to be individuals and empower themselves, it's that they serve a purpose of making (white) liberals feel like they're heroes when in fact they're more detrimental to their own causes than anyone else.

Oh yes, there is a ton of that! The black people who don't conform to the liberal agenda get absolutley ridiculed! And it is basesd soley on how the liberals think they should be acting based on their skin color. Remind me... Who are the racists again? Projection in it's finest form.

Oh yes, there is a ton of that! The black people who don't conform to the liberal agenda get absolutley ridiculed! And it is basesd soley on how the liberals think they should be acting based on their skin color. Remind me... Who are the racists again? Projection in it's finest form.

No kidding, here was the DailyKOS on Mia Love, newest member of the House, two years ago -- about her, Herman Cain, and Michael Steele, not being able to think for themselves because they're not conservative:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/296682/daughter-haitian-immigrants-gop-congressional-nominee-utah-john-fund

Love’s presence in Congress would certainly shake up the House. I met her at CPAC, the annual conservative conference, where she gave a stirring speech: “According to liberals, I’m not supposed to exist. I know that I am going to be a target for the Left. I have something to say to them: Game On.”

She was right about being a target. The liberal website Daily Kos ran an article about her race in January in which it dismissed her as “one of only two African-Americans living in Utah not currently playing for the Jazz.” It went on to claim “the GOP is clearly desperate for a new token black Republican, after Herman Cain and Michael Steele didn’t pan out.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/30/black-congressman-stands-by-comment-that-clarence-thomas-is-an-uncle-tom/

Black congressman stands by comment that Clarence Thomas is an ‘Uncle Tom’

Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) on Wednesday stood by his remark that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is an "Uncle Tom" and continued to suggest that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) opposition to President Obama is race-based.

Asked about McConnell's statement that his goal as GOP leader in the Senate was to make Obama a one-term president, Thompson wouldn't say flatly that it was racist but strongly pointed in that direction.

"I've never seen the venom put forth on another candidate or a president like I've seen with this president, and that's my opinion," Thompson said.

He added of McConnell: "I've never heard him say it to any other president."

^ He must have been in a coma for the 8 years of Bush. Or, as I suspect.. a selective memory as usual.

Herman Cain evidently is so dumb and black he can't even spell "Iraq": (and it rhymes!)

Ben Carson subjected to racism from the left: (this is a big one to watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bN7OdHIFM

Racism against Tim Scott:

It's very clear liberals only like blacks to use as victims as per their politics of keeping blacks stupid and dependent upon their big government utopia. When a black has the gall to be outspoken and independent, he's attacked by incendiary race-based vitriol. Or as Katt Williams said about Herman Cain, "you didn't get our [black people's] permission" to be who you are.

Just because we have made strides in combating racism and the majority of people are now more enlightened, it doesn't change the fact that there are still racists out there in every country.

TR's point about Brewer and the finger-pointing is correct. No way she does this to Bush, or even Clinton.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that much of the general disdain for Obama is based on the color of his skin and it's been so since he was first elected.

There is more racism against white people today on a global scale

Since 1980, Republican administrations ran deficit spending budgets MORE than Democrats. In Canada, Conservatives more than Liberals. Reagan/Pappa Bush raised taxes, Mulroney gave Canadians the GST. FACT. What you posted... FALSE

Its hilarious that we have almost 40 years of direct observable evidence from multiple levels of government, state, provincial, federal on both sides of the borders and yet right wingers continue to parrot their talking points and people still accept those talking points without laughing in their face.

The Republicans have been absolutely disastrous for the economy in the states the last 30 years and the Cons have been horrible here in canada along with the "liberals" here in bc...

Conservatives in power = instant deficits and debt. FACT

Its hilarious that we have almost 40 years of direct observable evidence from multiple levels of government, state, provincial, federal on both sides of the borders and yet right wingers continue to parrot their talking points and people still accept those talking points without laughing in their face.

The Republicans have been absolutely disastrous for the economy in the states the last 30 years and the Cons have been horrible here in canada along with the "liberals" here in bc...

Conservatives in power = instant deficits and debt. FACT

Not FACT.

If that is that is the case, how do explain Europe where the governments are mostly left of center, who have large social programs and high taxes, and massive deficits. They are economic basketcases.

And how about states like California and Michigan where the Democrats have been in power for decades. Those state have massive debts. Stockton, Californian, and Detroit Michigan, have declared backruptcy. Detroit has not elected a Republican Mayor in more than 50 years.

As for the Conservatives in Canada, unemployment is 7% one of the lowest in the industrial world, and lower tax rates than many countries. And low interest for home buyers. Besides, the budget will be balanced next year.

People also have a short memory. They seem to forget Trudeau ran up the debt when he was in power. I remember interest rates in the late 70's was around 15-20%.

As for BC politics, under the NDP in the 1990's, BC became a have not province, needing payments from the feds.

Man, how would Canadians feel good about themselves if they didn't have the USA to look down upon?

P.S. Were just as fat and stupid. Maybe less on the latter, but easily more on the former.

We're still minor leaguers in terms of corruption, but still every bit as corrupt.

Not FACT.

If that is that is the case, how do explain Europe where the governments are mostly left of center, who have large social programs and high taxes, and massive deficits. They are economic basketcases.

And how about states like California and Michigan where the Democrats have been in power for decades. Those state have massive debts. Stockton, Californian, and Detroit Michigan, have declared backruptcy. Detroit has not elected a Republican Mayor in more than 50 years.

As for the Conservatives in Canada, unemployment is 7% one of the lowest in the industrial world, and lower tax rates than many countries. And low interest for home buyers. Besides, the budget will be balanced next year.

People also have a short memory. They seem to forget Trudeau ran up the debt when he was in power. I remember interest rates in the late 70's was around 15-20%.

As for BC politics, under the NDP in the 1990's, BC became a have not province, needing payments from the feds.

NOT fact is your BS about California. If having a Republican was supposed to make everything financially wonderful, how come Arnold left the state in a deficit that Democrat Brown turned into a surplus?

NOT fact is your BS about California. If having a Republican was supposed to make everything financially wonderful, how come Arnold left the state in a deficit that Democrat Brown turned into a surplus?

Arnold is hardly a Republican. He just knew he would win if he ran as one.

That being said.... party affiliation doesn't mean much nowadays. It's just different sides of the same rear end.

What BS about California? Arnold was the govenor while the Democrats control both the state legislature and the state senate. He had trouble passing any bills. Arnold was really an opportunist who step in to replace democrat governor Davis who was very unpopular even with Democrats.

As for the surplus, govenor Brown did it by cutting programs and services, which is in line with right wing politics. If a right wing government did the cutting the liberals would be the ones screaming. But again, the Democrats control both legislatures and could cut services. Arnold did not have such luxuries.

What BS about California? Arnold was the govenor while the Democrats control both the state legislature and the state senate. He had trouble passing any bills. Arnold was really an opportunist who step in to replace democrat governor Davis who was very unpopular even with Democrats.

As for the surplus, govenor Brown did it by cutting programs and services, which is in line with right wing politics. If a right wing government did the cutting the liberals would be the ones screaming. But again, the Democrats control both legislatures and could cut services. Arnold did not have such luxuries.

Oh, I know, I voted to have Davis' illegal-immigrant-license-issuing ass recalled.

And you're right about Brown. The state of California is hilarious with ridiculous liberal politics. Prop 187 = enforce already existing immigrant laws = protest and riot like the thugs in Ferguson.

I agree completely with spending cuts, unfortunately, these cuts are only minor, and only temporary. Too bad there aren't any real fiscal conservatives in the Cali government.

Oh, I know, I voted to have Davis' illegal-immigrant-license-issuing ass recalled.

And you're right about Brown. The state of California is hilarious with ridiculous liberal politics. Prop 187 = enforce already existing immigrant laws = protest and riot like the thugs in Ferguson.

I agree completely with spending cuts, unfortunately, these cuts are only minor, and only temporary. Too bad there aren't any real fiscal conservatives in the Cali government.

California's debt levels soar under Schwarzenegger

October 7, 2010 | Louis Freedberg

Despite Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's promises to reduce California's indebtedness, the state's debt has nearly tripled during the seven years he has been governor.

Today is the seventh anniversary of the 2003 recall election, so it is an appropriate time to review how a central pledge in his unlikely race for governor has turned out.

As of July 1, 2003, California had a total of $27.6 billion in general obligation bonds and a total of $23.2 billion in authorized but unissued bonds, according to then-state Treasurer Phil Angelides' 2003 "debt affordability" report [PDF].

But the latest report [PDF] from current state Treasurer Bill Lockyer says the state now has $77.8 billion in outstanding general obligation bonds nearly triple the amount of seven years ago and an additional $42.8 in authorized but unissued bonds.

General obligation bonds must be paid from revenues coming from the state's general fund, meaning that debt payments reduce funds available for other services.

In fact, along with its overall debt burden, California's debt payments have tripled, from $1.8 billion paid in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2004, to a staggering $5.5 billion in the current fiscal year ending June 30, 2011.

At his first in-depth press conference on his economic plan for California during the recall campaign, with former Secretary of State George Schultz and multibillionaire investor Warren Buffett at his side, Schwarzenegger declared:

Needless to say, the elephant in the room in California's economy is the irresponsible operating deficit and the massive debt that this government has allowed California to incur.

After his election, he promised to "cut up the state's credit card," even brandishing giant-sized scissors as a prop to make his point.

But two of Schwarzenegger's first actions rolling back the vehicle license fee at a cost to the state of billions of dollars, and getting voter approval through Proposition 57 of a $15 billion Economic Recovery Bond compounded California's indebtedness problems.

In a stinging message at the time, Angelides argued vociferously against Schwarzenegger's plan to float an "Economic Recovery Bond" to help reduce the deficit he inherited, in effect paying for operating costs with borrowed money.

The nearly $18 billion in borrowings internal loans and bonds used to balance the 2003-04 budget and close the fiscal year 2002-03 operating deficit constitutes the largest borrowing package of its kind in state history, and seriously threatens our ability to restore the fiscal integrity so vital to our States sustained economic success in the 21st Century.

Angelides went on to say:

The path chosen to authorize an unprecedented amount of bonds to close the budget deficit is not one that I view as fiscally responsible.

H.D. Palmer, a Department of Finance spokesman, said that at the time Schwarzenegger had no choice but to seek outside financing. "The state was staring at the specter of having no ability to pay $14 billion in short-term borrowing that was coming due that spring," he said. "Prop. 57 saved the state from going off the cliff."

He also said that as Schwarzenegger promised, the state has not sought external financing to help close its operating deficit.

Jean Ross, executive director of the California Budget Project, said that there is good debt and bad debt. Good debt, for example, might be bonds floated at very low interest rates to build schools, which school districts end up owning once they are paid off.

But she said California made a strategic error by borrowing money during the economic recovery between 2002 and 2006. "That was when the state should have grabbed the bull by the horns and balanced its budget," she said. "Other states did it largely through tax increases, but we borrowed money instead. And now we have to pay it back."

By borrowing so heavily when the economy was strong, she said, California had maxed out on its credit limit. She said the amount California is paying in debt repayments is about equivalent to what the state is cutting from its schools.

Today Angelides is heading up the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, examining the root causes of the nation's and California's economic meltdown. He has emerged as one of the toughest critics of corporate and government leaders behind the meltdown.

Meanwhile, the elephant is still in the room. Seven years on, Schwarzenegger is in his final months as governor, facing basement-level approval ratings and the certainty of leaving office with California more deeply in debt and with outsize repayment costs for years to come.

Joe DeAnda, a spokesman for Lockyer, said "there should be no concern about the states ability to pay its bondholders." Rather, he said, Lockyer's concerns are about the impact of borrowing on programs and services in the state.

The Department of Finance's Palmer said that it is fitting that on the anniversary of the recall election, the Legislature is likely to approve two reforms that Schwarzenegger has long sought increasing its rainy day fund and limiting public employee pensions which if they had been in place earlier would have made coping with California's economic downturn more manageable. And perhaps allowed it to borrow less money.

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/californias-debt-levels-soar-under-schwarzenegger-5408

Archived