The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

EDM/TO(desperation-proposal)

TO goes back to Alberta, for biz..Hey, it worked in the Gilmour deal!

TO sends:

Pha9(they retain 1 mill/x eternity)

Kadri (Edm needs centres, so lose his ego/yap in the arctic)

Reimer (decent bloke needs a fresh start, he can also sell teen fashion, pt nights at the mall)

EDM:

Eberle (deal away before they destroy this product)

Hendricks (depth, gritty C for hogtown)

Scrivens (cos' him & Reimer both need to go, & same cap hit). He'd be a definite #2, so Bernier can try to rediscover lost Mojo.

With 1 mill retained by TO, both teams accept about 11 mill in Cap.

Edm has too much of the same player.

TO needs to start dumpin' lt-core contracts. Pha9 at 6 mill is not as nausea-inducing.

Who wins?

I had an Edm/TO proposal a few weeks ago, so yes, at this point why not swap problems?

Maybe playing in his home town would bring something better out of Phaneuf?

I would also include Clarkson however, Even with the horrible contract EDM could use someone like that.

Clarkson/Kadri/Perron would not be a fun line to play against. Might help dispel the image of a game against the Oilers as a night off.

asset wise a deal between the two makes some sense. The problem that both have that does not get resolved for either is a glaring lack of true leadership type players who can make a difference in righting the respective ships.

I'd say there'd be a mess of further deals for both sides.

For Edm it's about too many 6 mill contracts in kid-fwds. Allot some cash/term towards a veteran(scowling) D-man. At least Dion's a local guy, with a pretty missus.

For TO, it's about a young, fresh-faced kid up front, who's not a PR-disaster.

I'd also try to move Lupul, Gardiner & Kessel(retain cap on him, if it sweetens return). TO should target young, sizable, local kids, who wanna play in the 'Big Smoke'.

Value-wise it definitely seems close. Toronto does get the best player in Ebbs so they might be willing to lose key guys in two areas that they need help in (center and defense).

Not sure that they're the best trading partners though... both teams need defensemen who can play big minutes (as bad as it is already Toronto's D would pretty much collapse without Dion on it, he and Franson were the only D-men to push back offensively in some way against the Preds last game, and it's beyond me to wish that Roman Polak was on their first pairing, as ridiculous as it was for them to trade Gunner for him and as laughable as the results would be if he really was on the first unit). Also, Hendricks has been a solid add for the Oil along with Boyd Gordon, and I doubt they'd move him since he takes on tough assignments. Lastly, Ebbs on the Leafs' wing would pretty much make them the Avalanche of the East (no defense, all scorers).

J.v.R. ($4.25), Bozak ($4.2), Kessel ($8), Lupul ($5.25), Eberle ($6), Clarkson ($5.25), Komarov ($2.95) = $35.9 M or around half of their cap space. Compare that with

Robidas - Franson
Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - _______

That is not a good sight for Bernier to see night in and night out.

Value-wise it definitely seems close. Toronto does get the best player in Ebbs so they might be willing to lose key guys in two areas that they need help in (center and defense).

Not sure that they're the best trading partners though... both teams need defensemen who can play big minutes (as bad as it is already Toronto's D would pretty much collapse without Dion on it, he and Franson were the only D-men to push back offensively in some way against the Preds last game, and it's beyond me to wish that Roman Polak was on their first pairing, as ridiculous as it was for them to trade Gunner for him and as laughable as the results would be if he really was on the first unit). Also, Hendricks has been a solid add for the Oil along with Boyd Gordon, and I doubt they'd move him since he takes on tough assignments. Lastly, Ebbs on the Leafs' wing would pretty much make them the Avalanche of the East (no defense, all scorers).

J.v.R. ($4.25), Bozak ($4.2), Kessel ($8), Lupul ($5.25), Eberle ($6), Clarkson ($5.25), Komarov ($2.95) = $35.9 M or around half of their cap space. Compare that with

Robidas - Franson

Gardiner - Polak

Rielly - _______

That is not a good sight for Bernier to see night in and night out.

But that's the idea, Phil..Let that D collapse. TO NEEDS a big-time player, so the 2015 draft is also a major target, as they whittle down the vets.

Prob any NTC's will want out, when they see the downward-spiral.

But that's the idea, Phil..Let that D collapse. TO NEEDS a big-time player, so the 2015 draft is also a major target, as they whittle down the vets.

Prob any NTC's will want out, when they see the downward-spiral.

Based on the way they are playing it won't be long before they are in the basement. The team they had last year was better than the one this year and that team finished 8th from the bottom. That D is crippling though and it would put them on the Sabres level of suck.

Dion may be addition by subtraction, Kadri and Reimer for ebs?

Bingo.

I still think Edmonton would have to add something more, but the fact Toronto would not be retaining any salary of Phaneufs goes a long way in making this a better trade than it looks on paper.

Plus, Reimers value is low right now, even though I think he can still be a number 1 goalie in this league, he probably needs to leave Toronto.

You take the worst defence in the NHL and somehow make it even worse. Who is our number 1 D after this? Polak?

Also we have no problem scoring goals so adding another forward isn't a necessity at this point, especially another 1 dimensional guy.

Edmonton needs:

#1 Goalie - Reimer might still become one.

2 X Top 2 defense-men - Phaneuf has never been better than a 3/4 even when he was with Calgary.

A first or 2nd line center - Kadri fits the bill as a #2.

I don't know enough about Toronto's needs to comment on the return from Edmonton.

Archived