The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Bernier clueless about Nelson Mandela at Nelson Mandela event

Zfetch

The Toronto Raptors honored the late Nelson Mandela on Friday night at an event called “The Giant of Africa.”On the first anniversary of his death, the South African president and human rights icon was celebrated throughout their game against the Cavaliers, from the team wearing special warm-up gear to videos throughout the night.

Perhaps Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender Jonathan Bernier caught a few of those vignettes on the Jumbotron. Perhaps he then thought, “Holy [crap], I guess Nelson Mandela wasn’t a star athlete after all…”

Bernier was interviewed at the event, wearing a nice suit and supporting … well, someone he thought was a tremendous athlete he watched growing up.

The video was on the Raptors’ YouTube on Saturday before it was removed; Reddit user TeroTheTerror on r/Hockey provides a transcript:

Reporter1 (SportsNet mic): Alright Jonathan, how important is, uh, the legacy of Nelson Mandela to you?

JB: Well obviously he’s been, uh, a tremendous, uh, athlete and you know obviously what, uh, he means to all the sports you know when you know the worl- the world can uh be changed by the sports it’s pretty amazing. And I think he’s definitely uh got a lot of respect in every sports and uh he’s definitely one of the athletes I watched growing up as well.

Reporter1’s mic disappears from frame

Reporter2: Why is it important for you to come show support tonight?

JB: Well I think any good cause is, uh, sorry (he’s apologizing to someone to the left of the screen, not sure who/why), it’s always, uh, you know I love supporting, uh, any kind of cause obviously it’s for the Afri-, in Africa it’s obviously it’s, uh, a great cause, and enjoying, I guess, the basketball game.

Reporter2: Thanks.

Now, it’s possible that Bernier brain-farted and thought that the question was about one of the star athletes attending the event, like Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley. Although the question clearly asked about Nelson Mandela.

And in fairness, Mandela was a tremendous athlete: an amateur boxer who ran two hours a day. And he did believe the world could change thanks to sports.

But, um, we’re pretty sure Bernier didn’t grow up watching Nelson Mandela play sports. Then again, he was only 70 years old when Bernier was born. And, like Jagr’s still playing, so anything’s possible.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jonathan-bernier-clueless-about-nelson-mandela-at-nelson-mandela-event-215605061.html

Hopefully this cheers you guys up.

Bernier thought Nelson Mandela was a professional Basketball player. :picard::picard::picard:

1zw0rkn.jpg

still-- i don't see the big deal in him not being totally educated on nelson mandela. really, knowing about the guy won't mean too much-- other than you can say you know who nelson mandela is

it's pretty sad that he goes to an event for it and doesn't even know who the person is.

he was personally invited to go; you think he'd at least google it or something before going.

still-- i don't see the big deal in him not being totally educated on nelson mandela. really, knowing about the guy won't mean too much-- other than you can say you know who nelson mandela is

He wasn't "not totally educated", he was not educated... at all. At an event he was attending. And sure, if you don't value knowing anything outside of your society in terms of modern history at all and want to remain ignorant, go for it.

Just know you're in the minority, anyone who has read international news in the last few decades probably knows who Mandela is. It's not like he's a minor figure.

it's pretty sad that he goes to an event for it and doesn't even know who the person is.

he was personally invited to go; you think he'd at least google it or something before going.

if i had an inventation to go, i wouldn't say no. that guy had no real impact on my life, neither did he to bernier. why look down on him, or anyone else for that? because he's a leaf and he hate those guys, so we need to take petty shots every time we get-- like you're so above him, or everyone else, that you've studied this guy in history classes? get over yourselves

if i had an inventation to go, i wouldn't say no. that guy had no real impact on my life, neither did he to bernier. why look down on him, or anyone else for that? because he's a leaf and he hate those guys, so we need to take petty shots every time we get-- like you're so above him that you've studied this guy in history classes? get over yourselves

I could care less that he's a leaf. I just think it's stupid that he went to an event for a person, and didn't bother to get any backstory.

It doesn't even matter how famous or not famous the person is.

Archived