The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eastside Hockey Manager 2015/Early Access Edition

Rick Grimes

22 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I currently fired my coach a month after he won OHL Coach of the year, and we finished first in the conference in points.

He was decent and all, but Bob Hartley was willing to join my team for some unspecified reason, and I signed.

It's not even allowed to go over smoothly, because you can't sign the replacement until you fire your actual head coach and anger everyone as if you don't have a plan.

That's one thing I've always hated about EHM. You can't hire someone until you fire your current, and you can't insure them that you have a better option lined up for the position.

Restarted the nucks on the 8.2 roster.  Sold miller for a 2nd. Vey, dorsett and a 2019 first for Arizona's 2016 1rst. Vrbata for Colin whites rights.  Tanked, got first and fifth overall. Mathews + tchuk. Sedin transition is under way! Dat rookie line! Tchuk Matthews white ..

2 hours ago, derr12 said:

I just fire them right before I click the confirm button to finalize a contract. Never heard a peep from the board yet.

I always do that too. Sign guys, if they accept fire the guy they are suppose to replace. Except for Scouting. I clean that right away if both attributes are below 15. 

2 hours ago, derr12 said:

Restarted the nucks on the 8.2 roster.  Sold miller for a 2nd. Vey, dorsett and a 2019 first for Arizona's 2016 1rst. Vrbata for Colin whites rights.  Tanked, got first and fifth overall. Mathews + tchuk. Sedin transition is under way! Dat rookie line! Tchuk Matthews white ..

From my experience, I never throw 18 year olds into the NHL, clean there way though Juniors and AHL then they make the jump 

Won the Stanley Cup with the Canucks in my 2nd season over the Lightning.

Traded Miller for a 2nd rounder. Prust and Cracknell for Ty Rattie and Robby Fabbri. Weber for Alex Petrovic.  Hamhuis for Nikita Zadorov. Burrows for Athanasiou. Vrbata for Kylington. Higgins for Toronto's 2016 first round pick and another prospect.  Drafted Juolevi and Sergachev with my 2 first round picks.

Bartschi, Horvat and Virtanen led the way with all of them with 20+ points in the playoffs. 

Edited by Bang Bang Boogie

On 5/8/2016 at 0:52 PM, derr12 said:

So far it's worked well with guys like virtanen. A year on the fourth followed by a year or two with quality linemates. Only works for high end prospects tho. 

Yeah that usually works. Most AI players who usually play at 18 take awhile before they actually get "good" I just roll with them dominating their league and then basically having an AHL team full of "good" prospects to dominate and improve. 

boeser for example, if i sign him right away he doesnt develop for $&!# in the A. 

If i sign him after a year or two more of collage, and then toss him in the A, he looks like a legit 2nd/3rd tweener.

Free agency tops me up.  you need draft pics early because prospects in future drafts suck balls. so sell the farm and tank the first year, top up in free agency.    kreider, ben, stamkos, several mid level goalies, yandle... and you can pretty much get anyone you want if you toss enough money at them.  couple hundred thou over the asking price.

On 08/05/2016 at 6:05 PM, DollarAndADream said:

That's one thing I've always hated about EHM. You can't hire someone until you fire your current, and you can't insure them that you have a better option lined up for the position.

I was willing to make him my AGM. But I had to fire him on the spot. 

Worked out for the best though. Hartley was 3rd place in Canadian Coach of the Year in his first season. He the won it ouright for the next two, as the team won back to back memorial cups to top things off.

The whole thing is a bit too easy at this point. Accumulate picks, bundle those picks into higger ones, and don't be afraid to cut ties with players if they're not up to par, regardless of how good they're supposed to be (and use them to accumulate picks.)

A player's first two years are an audition, and if by the third they aren't useful, or even able to crack the roster, I try and pawn them off.

I start every season with like 30+ players on my roster, and narrow it to around 25 by the very end by loaning out whoever is not fitting in at a high level, over a gradual pace. I still got a .815 winning % last year doing this.

Teams also tend to so stupid things in this game while trading. Sometimes they'll pony up a 4th round pick for a prospect of mine who was drafted in the 8th or 9th, who has shown to be nothing but underwhelming, and then subsequently cut him a few days later when they realize the same. I've more than once traded someone for a 4th, who went on to be a PPG player for someone else, so it goes both ways. But my system creates these low/no risk gambles for the AI to exploit, whereas those other trades are stupidity that needs to be patched out of AI patterns by the devs.

I was offered a job by the Red Wings after year 3 where I bounced from the OHL cup finals (year 1 with Hartley), but I turned it down because I hadn't completed my work with Ottawa yet. Now after winning 2 national championships, I haven't recieved anything for whatever reason. I mean Florida asked, but I'm a chooser, not a begger, lol.

11 hours ago, Intoewsables said:

The Flames just hired one of my scouts to be their Head Coach. He has 20/20 in his scouting attributes and his coaching attributes are terrible. Solid hire.

...and they've already fired him after 4 wins in 30 games. Bizarre. 

The fans and the team's board get really weird at the NHL level. Twice when trading different 6th/7th Defencemen for draft picks, they flipped out on me. They were overpaid by a couple million, and were borderline NHLers that I had already replaced with more effective, younger pieces, but apparently I made mistakes according to them.

Now while trading a 31 year old and inconsistent Adam Henrique for freaking two first round picks (and a 4th), my fans "raged", and "hurled abuse" at me.

But no one bats an eye to my being unable to retain Steven Stamkos though, as I lost him to free agency for nothing. They always seem cool with those kinds of moves.