The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't recommend anything at all.  If you sell sell while it's up, if you don't, be prepared for a long hold out.

I don't ever want to be at fault for someone taking a hit because i don't know enough about this to even consider giving advice.  

Fair. Thank you.

I'll likely risk it and see how it plays out over the next week.

I sold Air Canada when it "should have dropped" and it's only gone up since then.

25 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I sold Air Canada when it "should have dropped" and it's only gone up since then.

See this I don't understand.  They're not flying.  Moving.  Generating a profit and travel is likely to be suppressed for months but they're up?

I'm expecting a further drop myself but I'm starting to develop FOMO hard

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I don't recommend anything at all.  If you sell sell while it's up, if you don't, be prepared for a long hold out.

I don't ever want to be at fault for someone taking a hit because i don't know enough about this to even consider giving advice.  

I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I talk about specific stocks I am not recommending buys or sells. On reflection it might sound like I am. If I mention a stock it is about my experience with it. Doing due diligence is always required. What is acceptable for one person might not be for another.  

• Like 1

Trying to time the markets a fool’s errand, when I’m really starting to realize now. 

Theirs plenty blue chip stocks at half value still, so either way theirs money to be made if you plan to hold. 

The fundamentals don’t seem to be aligning with the increases in price; I plan to keep a close eye on the next few quarterly reports to see how the market responds. 

If I end up buying high, I’ll live with it and average down. I just don’t want to have missed an excellent opportunity to make more than I have now.

I think Air Canada’s Q1 release is May 4.

Suncors Q1 release is May 6. 

Federal Reserve says rates to stay at bottom until economy on track

• Rates unchanged in a range of 0.00%-0.25%, as expected
  • Fed says rates to stay at lower bound until economy has weathered recent events and on track to achieve unemployment and inflation goals
  • Interest on excess reserves unchanged at 0.10%
  • Public health crisis will weigh heavily on the economy, employment and inflation in the near term
  • Will monitor incoming information for economic outlook and public health along with global developments in setting policy
  • Will continue buying Treasuries, agencies and commercial MBS in amounts needed
  • Will continue to offer large-scale repos
  • Disruptions to economic activity in US and broad have significantly affected financial conditions

Nothing in their statement was anything less than extremely dovish.

Translation = We are going to inflate the most insane equity bubble you have ever seen. Keep leveraging to the max. We got your back.

No different then when former ECB head Draghi said "Whatever it takes".

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Already reports that the 2nd quarter earnings for everything will be even worse and that 4.8%  negative the US GDP showed today will be even higher next quarter.  Feds talking about further stimulus on a larger scale leaving the US debt load teetering towards $30 TRILLION

I am not ready to invest in the big players until this shakes out

The crash is coming, Will be a monster sell off shortly.

The fact that things seem to be back to normal is the signal for the end. All this bullish talk makes me ever more bearish.

I'm guessing were at the peak of yellow. My moneys ready for the pickup on the backside.

Dow Jones Industrial Average, 2001- Present, Log-Scale [OC ...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

The crash is coming, Will be a monster sell off shortly.

The fact that things seem to be back to normal is the signal for the end. All this bullish talk makes me ever more bearish.

I'm guessing were at the peak of yellow. My moneys ready for the pickup on the backside.

Dow Jones Industrial Average, 2001- Present, Log-Scale [OC ...

If we see a drop back down those 2009 lows I'll be buying hard.

But I agree.  A lot of people set to lose a lot of money soon

Edited by Warhippy

32 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Got my stop limit orders in good until next Friday. Protects profits. Let's see what the market does tomorrow

It will climb no doubt.  I don't think we see any major or sustained sell offs for a while

A lot of government money and deluded brokers out there right now

17 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Great end of day rally for SU and CNQ. Hope there isn't a big crash tomorrow... May take profits if there's another rally tomorrow.

Amazon Q1 earnings coming and as we all know they’re expected to be huge. A post earnings sell off could very well happen, they’re big enough to swing the whole market and cause a panic sell.

38 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So the prices of SU and CNQ both dropped below my stop price yet Questrade didn't sell?

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 10.23.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 10.22.03 AM.png

Your limit prices are above your stop prices. For example on Suncor you placed a stop to sell if the bid drops below $25.75 but only at $28 or better.

The order should be something like stop sell trigger @$25.75, limit @$25.50. Then when triggered it becomes immediately executable but at no worse a price than $25.50. Gives your broker a little leeway in getting an execution (especially when trading an odd lot). While not selling you out at sub $25.50 on a gap or in a liquidity vacuum.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Your limit prices are above your stop prices. For example on Suncor you placed a stop to sell if the bid drops below $25.75 but only at $28 or better.

The order should be something like stop sell trigger @$25.75, limit @$25.50. Then when triggered it becomes immediately executable but at no worse a price than $25.50. Gives your broker a little leeway in getting an execution (especially when trading an odd lot). While not selling you out at sub $25.50 on a gap or in a liquidity vacuum.

FML.

I understood it as totally opposite. Holy cr*p I feel like an idiot, LOL.

I understood it as the limit and stop prices to be your ends of the spectrum ie. sell if it hits $28 or if it hits $25.75.

Ugh.

Thanks @nuckin_futz

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

FML.

I understood it as totally opposite. Holy cr*p I feel like an idiot, LOL.

I understood it as the limit and stop prices to be your ends of the spectrum ie. sell if it hits $28 or if it hits $25.75.

Ugh.

Thanks @nuckin_futz

This is the exact reason why I love this thread. No sarcasm just learning and education.. Awesome group of people here!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

This is the exact reason why I love this thread. No sarcasm just learning and education.. Awesome group of people here!

Concurred!

Glad my stocks didn't catastrophically drop, still in the green, and now I have proper stop limit sell orders in place :lol:

Edited by NucksPatsFan

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Concurred!

Glad my stocks didn't catastrophically drop, still in the green, and now I have proper stop limit sell orders in place :lol:

You think the last 2 days have  been interesting, wait till you see what happens tomorrow.

The sell off tomorrow will be real but this isn’t the big one. Amazon missed on Q1 and the after hours market is insane, Bezos made 1.9B from 9-4pm and has lost   2.6B in the 60 minutes since the close of the market.

9 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

You think the last 2 days have  been interesting, wait till you see what happens tomorrow.

The sell off tomorrow will be real but this isn’t the big one. Amazon missed on Q1 and the after hours market is insane, Bezos made 1.9B from 9-4pm and has lost   2.6B in the 60 minutes since the close of the market.

1.3B

MacKenzie lost the other 1.3;)

• Haha 1