The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$15 Dollar Minimum Wage is Coming to the US, will Canada Follow?

TOMapleLaughs

Yeah it will be a gradual process to raise higher.

Where is the provincial stats for youth unemployment. I like to take a look.

http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/labourmarket/currenttrends/docs/monthly/201503.pdf

I think you are arguing for what you hope will happen or think should happen, I am trying to point out what I think will probably happen, I think a $15/hour minimum wage will be death to small business and entrepeneurs

http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/labourmarket/currenttrends/docs/monthly/201503.pdf

I think you are arguing for what you hope will happen or think should happen, I am trying to point out what I think will probably happen, I think a $15/hour minimum wage will be death to small business and entrepeneurs

If you jack it right to $15 then yah there will be an issue. Increase it slowly over a few years, allow businesses to adjust and consumers to benefit from increases in purchasing power. Many will say it is just catching up to inflation.

Unnecessary. Just raise the personal exemption for income tax. Save micro businesses.

That's not a bad idea too.

I think it would be far more helpful if the government helped pay for adult education.

It's hard to break out of the minimum wage cycle if you are 30 years old and stuck in a crappy job just to pay the bills.

Even if it was something like a $10,000 student loan that would be forgiven if you successfully graduate from a 2-year or longer program.

I don't believe in getting a free ride, but it would be nice if the government could help people improve their situation when they are struggling just to survive.

When I was in high school in the 1980s McDonalds, Burger King, etc didnt pay a living wage. It was a place for 17-18 year olds to make a few bucks before they went on their way. Nobody stayed there for more than 6 months it seemed. Im assuming its largely the same now.

The jobs at those places have also become much easier to do as well, and most of the time they still screw up, LOL! Not sure how they can justify wanting $15 an hour when they can't even put a burger together properly.

When I was in high school in the 1980s McDonalds, Burger King, etc didnt pay a living wage. It was a place for 17-18 year olds to make a few bucks before they went on their way. Nobody stayed there for more than 6 months it seemed. Im assuming its largely the same now.

Indeed. Same for me when I was a teen in the 90s.

Things sure do change with the entitlement era, including history. ^_^

I just want To know who actually thinks minimum wage jobs are meant to be livable wage jobs? They are not. They are great for young people living at home or part time jobs for students, or supplemental income for a spouse to earn some extra income to add to the total household income.

If you think you can raise a family or own a home and pay all the bills plus food and extra curricular expenses you are out to lunch this is not what these low skilled low paying jobs are meant to do.

Most people in this thread are potatoes.

There is a price per year for electronic drive through windows. Once the employee wage goes over they will be replaced.

Raising minimum wage in a 1st world country solves very little and creates more problems. Most of us have the freedom to go to school and educate ourselves further to become more then manual labour. That is how you increase your value, not voting in the ndp union party that would make canada min wage 15$ while promoting unions. Unions policy is this: work less for more money. For successful liberalutopia see greece and soon to be italy.

The real and ONLY solution to wage disparity and the gal between the top and bottom is education. I dont mean like 'education' i mean financial education. There is 0 reason to graduate highschool without having a solid start to understanding economics / accounting / finance. The main topics that I believe screw anyone who does t understand them is: debt and using it as a tool for growth versus a tool for consumerism, taxes and how to better tax plan for your future, and COMPOUNDING INTEREST. The last one is the main reason the 1% continues to put distance on everyone else.

For example, id estimate more then half if not wayyy more then half the population doesnt understand the banking system. If you put 100$ the bank can loan out 10000$ and every penny of interest they gain increases how much they can loan by 1$. This is why rrsp's are so promoted. Banks get your money to invest, government gets your money for investing and you get your money when you retire (lol).

Wake up. I am running for premier in 2 elections time. We will change bc and then canada. But only by investing in our education and changing the curriculum to reflect actually teaching useful information.

Oh look, next week were learning all about the byzenteen(sp) empire. Thats going to be amazing for my taxes or my retirement. Weee

The jobs at those places have also become much easier to do as well, and most of the time they still screw up, LOL! Not sure how they can justify wanting $15 an hour when they can't even put a burger together properly.

And holy sht this. How many times has my bagle with cream cheese been burnt and cut only half way though. And you want a 40ish percent raise? GFYS

And holy sht this. How many times has my bagle with cream cheese been burnt and cut only half way though. And you want a 40ish percent raise? GFYS

But they want to buy a house, car, etc. with their bagel job. Must be able to live on every wage. Otherwise, those amazing people who do nothing with their lives and work a job for teenagers might feel bad for being in the position they put themselves in.

Most people in this thread are potatoes.

There is a price per year for electronic drive through windows. Once the employee wage goes over they will be replaced.

Raising minimum wage in a 1st world country solves very little and creates more problems. Most of us have the freedom to go to school and educate ourselves further to become more then manual labour. That is how you increase your value, not voting in the ndp union party that would make canada min wage 15$ while promoting unions. Unions policy is this: work less for more money. For successful liberalutopia see greece and soon to be italy.

The real and ONLY solution to wage disparity and the gal between the top and bottom is education. I dont mean like 'education' i mean financial education. There is 0 reason to graduate highschool without having a solid start to understanding economics / accounting / finance. The main topics that I believe screw anyone who does t understand them is: debt and using it as a tool for growth versus a tool for consumerism, taxes and how to better tax plan for your future, and COMPOUNDING INTEREST. The last one is the main reason the 1% continues to put distance on everyone else.

For example, id estimate more then half if not wayyy more then half the population doesnt understand the banking system. If you put 100$ the bank can loan out 10000$ and every penny of interest they gain increases how much they can loan by 1$. This is why rrsp's are so promoted. Banks get your money to invest, government gets your money for investing and you get your money when you retire (lol).

Wake up. I am running for premier in 2 elections time. We will change bc and then canada. But only by investing in our education and changing the curriculum to reflect actually teaching useful information.

Oh look, next week were learning all about the byzenteen(sp) empire. Thats going to be amazing for my taxes or my retirement. Weee

I peed a little laughing.

I mean, good luck!

Archived