The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

should mccann and/or virtanen go to the world juniors?

billabong

McCann and/or Virtanen to represent canada?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Risky for Virtanen, he will naturally be destroying kids , at some point whats stopping a euro from smashing him from behind when Canadas up 7-1.

Id say let it be the players call.

What's to stop an NHL player from doing the same thing?

He's already shown he can more than handle all that stuff at the junior level.

I'm more interested in seeing him gain confidence with his offensive game. He needs to be reminded that speed is his biggest asset. When he winds up and carries the puck with speed, he's dangerous. It would be great to see him be an offensive leader for team Canada.

The fact that it's in Finland and Virtanen is half Finnish makes it that much more special for him.

I think in the grand scheme of things it would be a great experience for both these guys. Plus the bonding experience of being able to have them both go over there together and bring back gold for Canada would be huge.

It also gives a chance to continue to see where guys like Gaunce and Jensen are at. A decision on Jensen needs to be made some time soon, so why not give him another shot. Then we'll have a better idea what players we can part with at the trade deadline.

Given the precedent set last year with Bo I doubt they would let them go. So here's where the hypocrite in me is going to come out. I was severely ticked off when Ottawa wouldn't let Mika Zibanejad return to the WJC's. I want to see the best and brightest compete. BUT, now I want to change my position on this. I would like to see them compete...for the Canucks.

i say no... both players virtanen and mccann play pivotal roles on our team much the same as bo horvat did when we questioned if he should still go... time for other players to show what they can do... time for them to shine... virt and mcann is busy shinning for the canucks!

Given the precedent set last year with Bo I doubt they would let them go. So here's where the hypocrite in me is going to come out. I was severely ticked off when Ottawa wouldn't let Mika Zibanejad return to the WJC's. I want to see the best and brightest compete. BUT, now I want to change my position on this. I would like to see them compete...for the Canucks.

originally i thought of my post as a good idea but reading yours does sound good... i wouldn't mind seeing them there .. they already made the canucks... and it would be good experience from other coaches...

Absolutely not. If the Kids belong in the NHL, keep them there. You just don't throw players off you're NHL teams just to go to a JR tournament. They are better off developing facing NHL competition than kids. Virtanen played in the WJR last year and was a non factor. McCann, if i recall correctly wasn't even invited to the camp. The only reason why they are making news, is that they're in the NHL and the Canadian media is going to do every little thing to make themselves sound better. If they don't win gold, oh well we had a few kids playing in the NHL so we were shorthanded. If they win gold, we did all this despite having our top kids playing in the NHL. It's all bull. McCann and Virtanen won't be front of center of team Canada, like some seem to believe. 

Absolutely not. If the Kids belong in the NHL, keep them there. You just don't throw players off you're NHL teams just to go to a JR tournament. They are better off developing facing NHL competition than kids. Virtanen played in the WJR last year and was a non factor. McCann, if i recall correctly wasn't even invited to the camp. The only reason why they are making news, is that they're in the NHL. 

i see that point as well... i dunno know which way to decide on this one... good thing im not a coach!

It's not a hard decision. The kids want to be in the NHL. The organization thinks highly enough for the kids to be playing in the NHL right now. There's no way they are going to play in the WJR.  Like i said again, it's the media that makes it seem like a tough decision so team canada looks good. It really isn't a hard decision. Virt and Mccaan aren't going anywhere. 

The fact that it's in Finland and Virtanen is half Finnish makes it that much more special for him.

I think in the grand scheme of things it would be a great experience for both these guys. Plus the bonding experience of being able to have them both go over there together and bring back gold for Canada would be huge.

It also gives a chance to continue to see where guys like Gaunce and Jensen are at. A decision on Jensen needs to be made some time soon, so why not give him another shot. Then we'll have a better idea what players we can part with at the trade deadline.

jensen is injured i believe  but i think  we should send mccann and virt down for worlds its great chance for them to develop and show they can dominate against their peers.  our center depth would be fine with henrik, sutter, horvat, cracknell. plus we could give shinkaruk and gaunce some looks in bigs which theyve earned in my eyes. 

Archived