The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

should mccann and/or virtanen go to the world juniors?

billabong

McCann and/or Virtanen to represent canada?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would be better for their development, but theyre already such a big part of our team that them being gone for a month would really hurt our playoff chances. We didnt even send Horvat last year even though he wasnt nearly as big a part of our team as Virt and McCann are now (he wasnt at that time in the season) For that reason I doubt we send either. 

If I was the coach/GM, I would ask and get their input on what they think is best for them. If both stay, or don't stay, it doesn't really matter from Canucks' perspective as there are other options and they have depth up front. From both McCann and Virtanen's perspective, there isn't really a bad option, if they stay - that's fine as they will feel they're a regular NHL'ers now, if they don't - they get to represent their country!

I agree. And I personally would like to see them go!

It would also give a chance to bring up guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce & Grenier, even Jensen to fill holes. No better carrot than getting paid $10K a game instead of $700. Plus the experience...

The key is how many injuries we have at the time we have to make the call?

i dont understand why people think the world juniors will be any better for their development than just sending them back to the juniors would have been. More talented kids in one place but even so they will still be playing kids, and not the nhl game which is what they need to learn.

Important tournaments do a lot for confidence - great coaching, great competition etc. As of now, I say both these guys should go. By my estimation, neither of them has looked to grow substantially at the NHL level, instead both play their respective games and grow in small steps that are much more subtle. Let them apply what they have learned. This is the advantage of playing overage years at the major junior level: learning to dominate with a more mature game. 

Many of you are pointing out that they belong here. I agree with you, but there are certain players that will benefit greatly from applying what they've learned in the NHL at events like these. As of now, let them go dominate their peers and apply what they have learned. 

I'd be afraid to answer it if I were them (at least if the answer was that I want to go to the WJC).  I'd think it was some kind of test or trick question.

Then stress to them that it's not a trick question and that there will be no implications if they do decide to go. :)

I say as long as we aren't completely decimated by injuries, let them play.  They are good players, but it's not like we're sending the Sedins over there.  The long term benefit of the World Juniors outweighs the miniscule difference in outcome for a few regular season games.  Good coaching, the opportunity to gain confidence from a leadership role, the opportunity to play in a championship situation.  Having them out of the lineup for a bit won't make or break the team, but playing in the World Juniors does have potential to really boost their skills and mental toughness.

Important tournaments do a lot for confidence - great coaching, great competition etc. As of now, I say both these guys should go. By my estimation, neither of them has looked to grow substantially at the NHL level, instead both play their respective games and grow in small steps that are much more subtle. Let them apply what they have learned. This is the advantage of playing overage years at the major junior level: learning to dominate with a more mature game. 

Many of you are pointing out that they belong here. I agree with you, but there are certain players that will benefit greatly from applying what they've learned in the NHL at events like these. As of now, let them go dominate their peers and apply what they have learned. 

Yet on the other hand they could go to the tournament, play like crap and it sets them back.

I want neither to go. They have already proved they can hang in the NHL. What more is there to gain? You are playing in the premier league already.

i dont understand why people think the world juniors will be any better for their development than just sending them back to the juniors would have been. More talented kids in one place but even so they will still be playing kids, and not the nhl game which is what they need to learn.

They will still get to learn the NHL games regardless, they're missing a very small chunk of time in the grand scheme of things. I think the World Juniors are more beneficial than regular junior hockey, not for the caliber of play (playing for Canada against teams like Slovakia, there's far more talent on your own team than the other team anyway) but for the experience of playing under extreme pressure in a championship situation.  You really need to have your $&!# together to win a world junior championship, with all the media hype, momentum swings, do or die games, etc.  Could help in a Game 7 down the road.  Also would help establish them for future international competitions such as the Olympics (as long as the NHL keeps sending players).

Both have the skill for the NHL, not gonna learn the physical side of being in the NHL in the WJC. As cool as it would be to watch them, their development is better served here.

the way McCann has been treated by Hockey Canada would he even get a call?

I say send them both. They'll get a lot of playing time, some valuable experience and gives us a chance to put Gaunce and Shinkaruk into the line up and see how they respond. It sure helped Duclair last year when the NYR sent him, look what he's doing now in Phoenix.

Duclair finally snapped a 7 game pointless drought the other night. I guess he learned how to overcome that by playing against pimply faced teens at the WJC?

The WJC is one of the most over-hyped tournaments around in terms of player development. It's more or less just a showcase for young players to show their talent to everyone else who hasn't already heard of them.

Duclair finally snapped a 7 game pointless drought the other night. I guess he learned how to overcome that by playing against pimply faced teens at the WJC?

The WJC is one of the most over-hyped tournaments around in terms of player development. It's more or less just a showcase for young players to show their talent to everyone else who hasn't already heard of them.

I think it really comes down to representing your country. That's most likely the biggest thing going through a teen's mind.

Archived