The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] LA wants Lucic, Brown possible casualty

Boddy604

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

I've been thinking about that. The thing is, with the 50% retention from Philly, Lecavalier's cap hit is only 2.25. If he manages to maintain his level of play since joining the team (not just 4 points, but, 52% FO, 5 blocks...) he's actually kind of a bargain. Where else are they going to find an effective veteran 3rd line center for such a reasonable amount?

I wouldn't be surprised if - again, assuming he can maintain this play - L.A. tells him he's free to come back for another year. So really, the team that would get screwed there would be the Flyers, who assume they'll have his salary off the books at the end of this season.

It would be a decent value except they would have less than 8 million to sign seven players just to get to the 22 man roster.  Assuming you need around a million for short term injury coverage, that is a million per guy.  Of that seven, they need a replacement for Lucic as well as four D.  Defence tends to be more costly as even a 3rd pairing guy who isn't a complete pylon is a couple of million dollars.

One huge issue LA has is that they have a lot of young players that are going to be looking for big raises. If they re-sign Lucic, they are primed for offer sheets to be going to some of these.

I can just imagine the offers going to players like Toffoli and Muzzin down the road if they can't fit under the cap. I don't think it's that easy to go aggressively after Lucic without looking at the future of the team.

Archived