The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] LA wants Lucic, Brown possible casualty

Boddy604

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

No one, that's why I said he'd be packaged as a cap dump. 

Give me a pick to take on that contract and I'd take him on my rebuilding team any day. He'd be tremendous to have around the kids, still has a reputation and respect around the league as Captain of 2 Cup teams, maybe 3 after this season.

He hasn't lost his captaincy.

Your rebuilding team better not be Vancouver.  Being division rivals, I'd hate to free them from their financial bind (I mean I'm sure they'd wriggle their way out somehow but wouldn't want to help them by any means), then go on to sign Pearson and Toffoli and have such an elite group locked up (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Toffoli, Lucic, Muzzin) with guys like Pearson and Martinez as quality supporting guys.

Maybe Toronto would take him (or an Eastern Conference team) but I wouldn't help LA reload by taking that albatross contract.   

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Your rebuilding team better not be Vancouver.  Being division rivals, I'd hate to free them from their financial bind (I mean I'm sure they'd wriggle their way out somehow but wouldn't want to help them by any means), then go on to sign Pearson and Toffoli and have such an elite group locked up (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Toffoli, Lucic, Muzzin) with guys like Pearson and Martinez as quality supporting guys.

Maybe Toronto would take him (or an Eastern Conference team) but I wouldn't help LA reload by taking that albatross contract.   

Canucks won't be competing with the Kings anytime soon. One team is rebuilding the other is winning Stanley Cups. By the time Canucks become contenders, which is many years away, LA will no longer be top tier team.

I'd love to have Brown on our team. A Captain who's won CupS to show the way to our young kids. What else could you ask for. IF LA is willing to give us a prospect or good pick to take on the contract I'd take him on.

Pearson and Toffoli aren't going anywhere. They're both RFA at end of next season not UFA. Very young players that you don't let go.

Like I said earlier, LA will package other players like Brown and Gaborik in cap dump. Not their young studs. 

Yeah I agree that TOR would pbbly take him. Good move if they can get that experience and a prospect to go with him on a rebuilding team.

Good luck moving Brown's contract. The Kings have to look realistically here, Kopitar just signed for 10M a year, they still have to sign Toffoli, Pearson, etc. I can't possibly see how they will sign Lucic. Nobody will take Brown's contract. It's terrible.

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Canucks won't be competing with the Kings anytime soon. One team is rebuilding the other is winning Stanley Cups. By the time Canucks become contenders, which is many years away, LA will no longer be top tier team.

I'd love to have Brown on our team. A Captain who's won CupS to show the way to our young kids. What else could you ask for. IF LA is willing to give us a prospect or good pick to take on the contract I'd take him on.

Pearson and Toffoli aren't going anywhere. They're both RFA at end of next season not UFA. Very young players that you don't let go.

Like I said earlier, LA will package other players like Brown and Gaborik in cap dump. Not their young studs. 

Yeah I agree that TOR would pbbly take him. Good move if they can get that experience and a prospect to go with him on a rebuilding team.

Do you honestly think a team is willing to take on that caphit for the next 6 years, even if they add in a pick (which will likely be a low pick, anyway)? GMs don't care how many Cups, you have won in the past. It's the "what have you done lately" determine trade value. Look at Bryan Bickell, who has won two Cups in the past 3 years. He's been put on waivers twice now, and is likely to go unclaimed. I'm pretty sure Bowmen tried to trade him, before the season started, but had no takers.

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Do you honestly think a team is willing to take on that caphit for the next 6 years, even if they add in a pick (which will likely be a low pick, anyway)? GMs don't care how many Cups, you have won in the past. It's the "what have you done lately" determine trade value. Look at Bryan Bickell, who has won two Cups in the past 3 years. He's been put on waivers twice now, and is likely to go unclaimed. I'm pretty sure Bowmen tried to trade him, before the season started, but had no takers.

Was TOR able to move Clarkson's albatross contract?

4 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

The only reason why they could was because it was an equally bad contract going the other way, and Columbus needed to get to the cap floor. It was a fluke. 

Ummm no, CBJ is in top 10 of cap spending teams, not cap floor team.

Horton was LTIR. His contract didn't count against the cap in CBJ just like it doesn't count in TOR.

The fact is a terrible contract, worse than Brown's was moved for a player with no Cap hit coming back. TOR got rid of the contract. 

Again I'll ask, was TOR able to move Clarkson's albatross contract? I'll take a Yes or NO. 

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Was TOR able to move Clarkson's albatross contract?

Clarkson was traded for Horton, who had a similar caphit to Clarkson. Horton's caphit was nulled, because he was put on LTIR. So, essentially CBJ got Clarkson for absolutely nothing, in hopes he turns it around. Now, CBJ is stuck with Clarkson for 5 more years. Do you think GMs are willing to risk that with Brown, for a low draft pick and a decent prospect?

11 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Clarkson was traded for Horton, who had a similar caphit to Clarkson. Horton's caphit was nulled, because his was put on LTIR. So, essentially CBJ got Clarkson for absolutely nothing, in hopes he turns it around. Now, CBJ is stuck with Clarkson for 5 more years. Do you think GMs are willing to risk that with Brown, for a low draft pick and a decent prospect?

Who set the ground rules at Low draft pick, decent draft pick? 

It all depends on what LA is willing to give up. But on a rebuilding team, which has very little chance of contending for the next 5 years why wouldn't you if you can get something good with him in the package. 

A 2 time Cup winning Captain and maybe 3 soon is gold in your locker room for a rebuilding team with 19 and 20 year old kids. 

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Who set the ground rules at Low draft pick, decent draft pick? 

It all depends on what LA is willing to give up. But on a rebuilding team, which has very little chance of contending for the next 5 years why wouldn't you if you can get something good with him in the package. 

A 2 time Cup winning Captain and maybe 3 soon is gold in your locker room for a rebuilding team with 19 and 20 year old kids. 

You did.

You said Brown + a pick, assuming it's a first, it's going to be a low pick, in the late 20s. 

I would hazard a guess that most rebuilding teams' ownership, wouldn't want a veteran guy with a caphit of 5.8M on his team for the next 6 years, while his playing skills diminish over the years. I mean, why would you want someone like that when you could sign one (Brad Richards), in free agency for 3x less than Brown.

Also, if Brown were to be traded to a rebuilding team. No rebuilding team would give up a prospect or pick for Brown, since LA won't be able to take salary back.

Just now, shiznak said:

You did.

You said Brown + a pick, assuming it's a first, it's going to be a low pick, in the late 20s.

I would hazard a guess that most rebuilding teams' ownership, wouldn't want a veteran guy with a caphit of 5.8M on his team for the next 6 years, while his play skills diminish over the years. I mean, why would you want someone like that when you could sign one (Brad Richards), in free agency for 3x less than Brown.

Oh.. when you said "low"  you meant a 1st rounder? I thought you meant a low pick as in late round. A 4th or 5th round or later.

Heck yeah I'd take Brown if LA gave up their 1st round pick. I don't care if they win the Cup and it's the 30th. 

A 1st rounder? In a heartbeat. Heck yeah, call in the trade.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Ummm no, CBJ is in top 10 of cap spending teams, not cap floor team.

Horton was LTIR. His contract didn't count against the cap in CBJ just like it doesn't count in TOR.

The fact is a terrible contract, worse than Brown's was moved for a player with no Cap hit coming back. TOR got rid of the contract. 

Again I'll ask, was TOR able to move Clarkson's albatross contract? I'll take a Yes or NO. 

they were

to some surprise on my part

the creativity out there in terms of contract finagling is pretty amazing

i was impressed that contract got dumped

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

That's better than paying Brown 5.8M for the next 6 years.

They will have enough money to sign Lucic at 7M, if they buyout Brown and trade one of Toffoli or Pearson, when they become RFAs in two years. 

Doubt they will go down this road, but it's possible, if Lombardi really wants to sign Lucic.

why would they want to trade toffoli or pearson, younger, cheaper, and more reliable offensively

After the Kopitar signing, the Kings will have roughly 10 million of free cap. Give or take a million depending how much the cap increases. And out of that, they have Lucic, Schenn, Lewis, Ehrhoff, McNabb, McBain, and their backup goalie expiring. Both of their AHL goalies are expiring too. So first and foremost, they need to resign their goalie or pick one up outta free agency. Either way, signing 3 goalies is eating up a minimum of 3 million, leaving the Kings with around 7. I figure they'll let Ehrhoff walk. Maybe Lewis. But McNabb and McBain should be extended. If not, they'll need to pick up a couple d or call in prospects. Thats gonna eat up at least 1.2 minimum, if they go with 600k AHL guys. Schenn is pretty much a guaranteed to get extended given that they traded to get him and took on Lecavalier to make it happen. Don't think Schenn signs for any less than a 2.5 show me deal but likely something closer to Sbisa's deal. So that leaves the Kings with between 3 and 4.5 million. Lucic won't be signed for less than 7. So unless the Kings move out big contracts and replace them with ELC's, I can't see how they'll realistically get Lucic signed.

@Boddy604Why do they need 3 goalies? They need a backup for around 1 mill. AHL goalie cap doesn't count against NHL team unless it's 1 way contract for the NHL which it won't be. So you can adjust that to 1 mill for a backup. 

Lucic can sign a front loaded 8 year contract. His cap hit could be held to below 6 mill. 

Archived