The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] LA wants Lucic, Brown possible casualty

Boddy604

nobody knows if he,s gunna resign inLA yet and thats ok, gives us time to look for that elusive two way enforcer type player this team needs. our current 2 enforcer type players are costing us stupid penalties and were not the PK team we used to be.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

His attitude towards Vancouver never changed. He still trains and makes his home here, in the off-season. One quote that was taken out of context, and people assume he hates Vancouver. He did apologized afterwards and said he still loves the city and the people.

Fans has painted Lucic as the villain, ever since the 2011 playoffs, but he has done nothing wrong. In fact, the people who harass Lucic are the villains

It doesn't help when people do things like this

Lucic-Church-Vandalism-photo.jpg

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

His attitude towards Vancouver never changed. He still trains and makes his home here, in the off-season. One quote that was taken out of context, and people assume he hates Vancouver. He did apologized afterwards and said he still loves the city and the people.

Fans has painted Lucic as the villain, ever since the 2011 playoffs, but he has done nothing wrong. In fact, the people who harass Lucic are the villains here. 

The Vancouver Villains.

Let the bidding begin! I suspect the issue for Lucic will be term in his new contract. Probably a minimum of 6 years. The bidding will take care of the money side which will likely be ridiculous. He is not the big center that Van needs. Since a 1C is not likely thru trade or UFA it means Benning has to draft. Also realizing that a 1D is also on the need list it also means drafting.

Benning should continue moving the vets out and accumulating picks. The real gutsy move would be moving Miller. If the team continues to climb the standings then perhaps Benning can trade up.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Let the bidding begin! I suspect the issue for Lucic will be term in his new contract. Probably a minimum of 6 years. The bidding will take care of the money side which will likely be ridiculous. He is not the big center that Van needs. Since a 1C is not likely thru trade or UFA it means Benning has to draft. Also realizing that a 1D is also on the need list it also means drafting.

Benning should continue moving the vets out and accumulating picks. The real gutsy move would be moving Miller. If the team continues to climb the standings then perhaps Benning can trade up.

Do you think there's actually a market for Miller? 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Why not? Different reasons for getting him by different teams. A possible upgrade for some playoff bound teams but also a short term signing for a bridge goaltender. It would be all about the return as he can play the same role as Markstrom takes over. My fear would be how well Miller will accommodate the transition. IMHO Van waited to long with the Schneids/Lui deal and had to take a 9th for Schneids. The NHL knew what Schneids was worth but also knew Van had to deal. It cost the org as a result.

Moving Miller would be risky but for a org that is short on prospects it might be worth it depending on the return. Also consider that Miller does not have a CUP and might love the opportunity with another club.   

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

A healthy Miller can steal a playoff series on a decent team. There would be interest.

Maybe we can snag another first from St.Louis for him. :lol:

.. Or one of their sturdy D men.

dont know if he would go to St Louis DeNiro ? .. Is there a Trade Clause? 

Death Valley might be more suitable for family reasons,. (actress wife and new son)

On 16/01/2016 at 11:56 AM, Hugor Hill said:

I hope no one touches Brown and they fail to keep Lucic. 

Of if they do sign Lucic hope it's like $7M for 8years or something crazy.

Screw LA.

ps I hope Lacavalier doesn't retire and keeps eating cap space.

He's going to get that kind of contract from some team for six years.

People begging for Lucic don't realize he's going to be an albatross contract after the 3rd or 4th year

Just now, SilentSam said:

.. Or one of their sturdy D men.

dont know if he would go to St Louis DeNiro ? .. Is there a Trade Clause? 

Death Valley might be more suitable for family reasons,. (actress wife and new son)

I know, I don't think St.Louis would trade for him either. He didn't really have the best experience there. I'd hardly fault him for that though. 

He has a limited no trade clause. I can't remember if it's 5 or 10 teams. I'm sure he'd be a little more flexible going into the last year of his contract. We'd likely have to keep some salary to get a decent return too.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know, I don't think St.Louis would trade for him either. He didn't really have the best experience there. I'd hardly fault him for that though. 

He has a limited no trade clause. I can't remember if it's 5 or 10 teams. I'm sure he'd be a little more flexible going into the last year of his contract. We'd likely have to keep some salary to get a decent return too.

I keep looking at the Sharks roster and what they have produced over the past 5 years..  Almost time to bust it down and rebuild from the floor up...  I would love to see Burns become available (UFA 2017).

i think Miller is a better goalie than Jones.   Sharks maybe make Jones expendable for draft picks.. We trade Miller and 2 picks for Burns... My wish list ;) 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Lucic is a left wing. Not a Centre. If he's available, 100 percent guaranteed he comes to Vancouver and plays the 2nd line. Moving Miller also makes no sense. He has 1 year remaining. I'd rather have a Miller Markstrom tandem for next season than relying on some rental. Markstrom has shown his ability. Pretty likely that they'll share the net responsibilities closer to 50/50 next season. After which point Markstrom takes over and they either find a cheap backup or call in Bachman/Cannata to be backup until Demko is ready. Miller was picked up out of free agency, not through a trade so there's no need to recover assets if it doesn't make sense. If he is moved, it won't be until next year's deadline. And even then, only if the Canucks aren't in the playoff race.

3 hours ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

I don't really think there is a market. It's easy to think hey if we put Miller on the market there will be teams interested because he is looking good lately. But in reality when you look at each team individually,which teams would be interested? Even if there is an injury, Miller is signed at 6 mill for another year. Hard for teams to take on if they already have a highly paid goalie.

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Why not? Different reasons for getting him by different teams. A possible upgrade for some playoff bound teams but also a short term signing for a bridge goaltender. It would be all about the return as he can play the same role as Markstrom takes over. My fear would be how well Miller will accommodate the transition. IMHO Van waited to long with the Schneids/Lui deal and had to take a 9th for Schneids. The NHL knew what Schneids was worth but also knew Van had to deal. It cost the org as a result.

Moving Miller would be risky but for a org that is short on prospects it might be worth it depending on the return. Also consider that Miller does not have a CUP and might love the opportunity with another club.   

Makes sense. I hope you are right! 

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He can submit a list of 5 teams. Wouldn't be hard for him to kibosh a trade by saying Montreal, LA, Nashville, New Jersey and New York.

JB said teams inquired about Miller in the summer. I don't know if he's movable without eating some cap. JB will probably keep him and let him play out the contract. Give Markstrom a 60/40 split for games played and get him ready for full time duty the year after.

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Boddy604 said:

His attitude towards Vancouver sure changed. Gotta wonder how much of that might be in part because of Benning. Him and Lucic do go way back.

I think it has something to do with it, one of the reasons why Miller signed was Benning. Seems like Benning has great relationships with most if not all of the players he drafts or helps draft. I also think because Lucic is married now and has a kid he might be thinking of wanting to raise his family here instead of the States.

16 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Lucic is a left wing. Not a Centre. If he's available, 100 percent guaranteed he comes to Vancouver and plays the 2nd line. Moving Miller also makes no sense. He has 1 year remaining. I'd rather have a Miller Markstrom tandem for next season than relying on some rental. Markstrom has shown his ability. Pretty likely that they'll share the net responsibilities closer to 50/50 next season. After which point Markstrom takes over and they either find a cheap backup or call in Bachman/Cannata to be backup until Demko is ready. Miller was picked up out of free agency, not through a trade so there's no need to recover assets if it doesn't make sense. If he is moved, it won't be until next year's deadline. And even then, only if the Canucks aren't in the playoff race.

I wasn't suggesting Lucic was a C. My point was Van needs a big 1C for the long term. The term and price that Lucic will demand suggests it will not match Vancouver needs.

My suggestion that Benning move Miller is a gamble. It assumes that Markstrom can carry the #1 roll. The attraction is that a high draft pick in a Miller deal brings one of those key players a 1C or 1D.

Archived