The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] LA wants Lucic, Brown possible casualty

Boddy604

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎18 at 0:29 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Speed is not as big of a factor as you're suggesting. You're stating it like everyone is going to be buzzing around at 40 km an hour. The league is already fast and players keep flourishing in spite of that.

I also see players like Iginla and Doan still being effective at their age.

Lucic can put up points. He has throughout his career which includes the playoffs. 

He has been very healthy despite being one of the most physical players in the league.

I only want him here at a hometown discount which is unlikely in my eyes.

I am just saying do not downplay him. He is the type of player that helps you win cups. LA got him for that reason and are trying to sign him for that reason.

Doan and Iginla have puck skills and high end hockey IQ. That's why they can still play. Lucic has neither. And he's WAY overpriced. Get a young tough guy with a decent skill set ready to earn his job and you'll have Lucic at half the price.

Don't want Lucic or Brown.

Both dirty, cheapshot scumbags on their way down who would poison the new team which is being built.

Much better to look for younger players who are developing... and we don't need forwards, we need back end.

BIG TOUGH D-MEN WHO CAN SCATE ARE WHAT WE NEED.

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Let me know when they find the cap space to keep Lucic. 

Knowing the Kings and Lombardi, they'll probably find a way to cheat the system. With the Kopitar extension, I think the Kings will have 10 million to spend on 7 roster spots. 

As long as no one takes Dustin Brown's dumb contract, it's all good. 

37 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Knowing the Kings and Lombardi, they'll probably find a way to cheat the system. With the Kopitar extension, I think the Kings will have 10 million to spend on 7 roster spots. 

Out of those 7 spots a minimum of 3 defense and a goalie is mandatory. The backup, Schenn, McNabb, McBain, and Ehrhoff expiring on the back end. And both their AHL goalies are expiring too so they can't even just call one up. Signing 3 defense and a goalie is gonna eat up an absolute minimum of 5 or 6 million and that's if you sign AHL guys. If they don't dump a big contract, no way Lucic stays.

1 hour ago, Jiggs50 said:

Good point there. After they got away with the Richards drama I wouldn't be surprised if they "found" a way. But yea like I said, looking more and more likely the big man comes home this summer.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14619198/nhl-kings-milan-lucic-loving-life-los-angeles

"I hope it's here, just because of how great everything has gone and good the transition has gone," said Lucic, who is fourth in team scoring with 12 goals and 17 assists for 29 points through 45 games. "I truly, truly deep down in my heart hope that I do get to remain a King after this season. Obviously, there haven't really been any [contract] talks yet. They've had a lot on their plate with the [Anze] Kopitar contract, but we'll just wait and see what it's going to look like moving forward. I would love nothing more than to remain a King."

IDK but this seems pretty convincing to me.  

We are almost zen like entering the twilight zone with the team now having the ability to shed CAP while already building for the future with real good promising young players.The allows for a real hard look at the UFA upcoming market and meassure the potential to plug n play perhaps as many as 3 good UFA's as well as accumulating our fair share of draft picks at this Junes table .

This to me would be an ultimate coup to pull off the rebuild retool in three short seasons all the while flirting with a playoff spot in the anemic sweathog Pacific soon to be the crown jewel of the west again.It would be like I died an went to heaven an have not seen this before.

PS wake me up when the party starts

6 hours ago, HenButton said:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14619198/nhl-kings-milan-lucic-loving-life-los-angeles

"I hope it's here, just because of how great everything has gone and good the transition has gone," said Lucic, who is fourth in team scoring with 12 goals and 17 assists for 29 points through 45 games. "I truly, truly deep down in my heart hope that I do get to remain a King after this season. Obviously, there haven't really been any [contract] talks yet. They've had a lot on their plate with the [Anze] Kopitar contract, but we'll just wait and see what it's going to look like moving forward. I would love nothing more than to remain a King."

IDK but this seems pretty convincing to me.  

Fair enough. Lucic's comments pretty much state the obvious. 

He views coming to Vancouver as being a saviour. That statement alone smacks of a misplaced arrogance this team doesn't need. Regardless of how big and strong he is, a head that fat never gets smaller. 

Benning has to read that and see that Lucic is set on staying in LA. The focus now should be on setting the defence for the future. 

Once again I trust in Benning. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. Lucic's comments pretty much state the obvious. 

He views coming to Vancouver as being a saviour. That statement alone smacks of a misplaced arrogance this team doesn't need. Regardless of how big and strong he is, a head that fat never gets smaller. 

Benning has to read that and see that Lucic is set on staying in LA. The focus now should be on setting the defence for the future. 

Once again I trust in Benning. 

Well, to be fair, what else is he supposed to say? That he hates living LA and will get out of there as soon as possible? When he was a told a trade to Vancouver was close he said he almost wanted that to happen. 

Well if Lecavalier keeps performing (3 goals and 1 assist in 7 games playing limited minutes with LA) he might decide not to retire :)  Being back on the horse might make that $6.5 million over the next two years seems more attractive.

Boy would that screw the Kings!

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well if Lecavalier keeps performing (3 goals and 1 assist in 7 games playing limited minutes with LA) he might decide not to retire :)  Being back on the horse might make that $6.5 million over the next two years seems more attractive.

Boy would that screw the Kings!

I've been thinking about that. The thing is, with the 50% retention from Philly, Lecavalier's cap hit is only 2.25. If he manages to maintain his level of play since joining the team (not just 4 points, but, 52% FO, 5 blocks...) he's actually kind of a bargain. Where else are they going to find an effective veteran 3rd line center for such a reasonable amount?

I wouldn't be surprised if - again, assuming he can maintain this play - L.A. tells him he's free to come back for another year. So really, the team that would get screwed there would be the Flyers, who assume they'll have his salary off the books at the end of this season.

43 minutes ago, Pears said:

Well, to be fair, what else is he supposed to say? That he hates living LA and will get out of there as soon as possible? When he was a told a trade to Vancouver was close he said he almost wanted that to happen. 

He's playing to whatever crowd likes him. I get it. 

I don't think he's really interested in coming here to be honest. The "saviour" comment was a very thinly veiled hint to that effect. 

He has it good in LA where he is back with a championship caliber team after being traded away from the Bruins. 

And if LA wasn't able to fit him under the cap, do you think he'd automatically await Benning's offer, or do you think he'd instruct his agent to take an offer that puts him with a contending team?

I don't think he's as interested as many think he is. Vancouver is a desperate city sometimes when it comes to generating news worthy material, especially from a sports perspective. He knows this from growing up in the fishbowl and probably decided to throw the local fandom a bone so they felt special. 

At least that's how I see it. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's playing to whatever crowd likes him. I get it. 

I don't think he's really interested in coming here to be honest. The "saviour" comment was a very thinly veiled hint to that effect. 

He has it good in LA where he is back with a championship caliber team after being traded away from the Bruins. 

And if LA wasn't able to fit him under the cap, do you think he'd automatically await Benning's offer, or do you think he'd instruct his agent to take an offer that puts him with a contending team?

I don't think he's as interested as many think he is. Vancouver is a desperate city sometimes when it comes to generating news worthy material, especially from a sports perspective. He knows this from growing up in the fishbowl and probably decided to throw the local fandom a bone so they felt special. 

At least that's how I see it. 

I agree with what you say but I think he is just what we need..him and Dorsett as forwards and Pedan on the D would take care of our toughness.....but I wont lose sleep either way.

32 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I agree with what you say but I think he is just what we need..him and Dorsett as forwards and Pedan on the D would take care of our toughness.....but I wont lose sleep either way.

Sure. But as per the article, it sounds like Lucic has his mind made up. 

And same as you, I won't lose sleep over it. 

Archived