The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

King Makers or Pan Handlers?

TheGuardian_

An interesting thought coming up to the trade deadline.

The Canucks could trade some veteran players that could help more than a few teams especially if they retain salary which the team will be positioned to do for a couple of years. Trade Hamhuis and Vrbata to any team below the Flyers cap numbers, about 13 teams or so, of course taking back salary would increase that number.

They could even do a deal to take back salary to improve their draft position with a cash crunched team...Columbus?

The Canucks have to...well I guess they don't have to but, I would like to think they are, determining whether or not they can be merely playoff contenders or cup contenders.

If making the playoffs is the end all be all and drafting mid round players is the goal, then they are set up for the next decade, just about good enough but not quite, just like the 70's, 80's through to 91 where winning a round was like having a parade.

If the plan is to be cup competitive within the life times of some fans, then some difficult decisions need to be made and with the Canuck buck looking more like the peso again, perhaps the better route is to be bad enough for two seasons to be good enough afterwards to look beyond the 1rst round of the playoffs.

If the team keeps the assets and doesn't use it's current financial clout to get improved draft positions or prospects, then it will be a decade of pan handling and maybe even another, "it only takes a quarter to move this team".

Burke took the team to the bottom to get the Sedins, Quinn did too (Linden), Keenan traded boldly, Nonis made the Luongo trade, Gillis added the guidance and polish.

Looking around the other teams in the league, how did Panarin ever slip past this teams elite scouts? Or even some of Chicago's other undrafted players?

Really, any idea what that might be?

Make the playoffs?

Build a cup contender?

Simply get younger?

Use the AHL to groom home grown prospects?

Trade draft picks for other teams unsuccessful picks?

Trade top assets for low round picks?

Get tougher?

Get more guys that hit?

Yeah, I know it's only been two years just about.

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Canucks could trade some veteran players that could help more than a few teams especially if they retain salary which the team will be positioned to do for a couple of years.

The Canucks have to...well I guess they don't have to but, I would like to think they are, determining whether or not they can be merely playoff contenders or cup contenders.

If making the playoffs is the end all be all and drafting mid round players is the goal, then they are set up for the next decade, just about good enough but not quite, just like the 70's, 80's through to 91 where winning a round was like having a parade.

If the plan is to be cup competitive within the life times of some fans, then some difficult decisions need to be made and with the Canuck buck looking more like the peso again, perhaps the better route is to be bad enough for two seasons to be good enough afterwards to look beyond the 1rst round of the playoffs.

If the team keeps the assets and doesn't use it's current financial clout to get improved draft positions or prospects, then it will be a decade of pan handling and maybe even another, "it only takes a quarter to move this team".

Burke took the team to the bottom to get the Sedins, Quinn did too (Linden), Keenan traded boldly, Nonis made the Luongo trade, Gillis added the guidance and polish.

Looking around the other teams in the league, how did Panarin ever slip past this teams elite scouts? Or even some of Chicago's other undrafted players?

The same way he slipped past 29 other team's scouts. While he looks to be a good young player, how much of his success is from riding on Kane's coattails?

As for the Canucks, I don't care about where they draft. I like playoff hockey and I like the Canucks to be in it. It seems everyone is always focused on next season rather than trying to win the current one. When you have improved scouting, you can find better overall players and don't need to rely on the top of the draft table to hit your gimme homeruns. Sure I would like a shot at Laine, Puljaarvi or Matthews but it's no big deal if the Canucks are in the playoffs.

Seriously another thread for this? Why don't you just post this in any of the other numerous threads about us selling players at the deadline. You can mope about Jim Benning not having to press release with his exact plans for the next 5 years down to every detail there too. 

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

The same way he slipped past 29 other team's scouts. While he looks to be a good young player, how much of his success is from riding on Kane's coattails?

As for the Canucks, I don't care about where they draft. I like playoff hockey and I like the Canucks to be in it. It seems everyone is always focused on next season rather than trying to win the current one. When you have improved scouting, you can find better overall players and don't need to rely on the top of the draft table to hit your gimme homeruns. Sure I would like a shot at Laine, Puljaarvi or Matthews but it's no big deal if the Canucks are in the playoffs.

Do you watch past the first round?

If so, wouldn't it be nice to be watching the Canucks?

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Do you watch past the first round?

If so, wouldn't it be nice to be watching the Canucks?

Yes but i'm not interested in waiting 5 years for that to happen.

This team is slowly turning around. It's the youngest team we have seen in ages and it proves you can re-whatever and compete at the same time as long as you don't have expectations of being 82-0, winning the Cup and drafting 1st overall.

4 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Seriously another thread for this? Why don't you just post this in any of the other numerous threads about us selling players at the deadline. You can mope about Jim Benning not having to press release with his exact plans for the next 5 years down to every detail there too. 

If thought out, the Nuck could move three or four veterans to a single playoff contender or cup contender, enough that the move would make a significant impact on the standings for one single team. And those players would already have familiarity with each other making their impact felt earlier.

It's really hard to imagine any of the management sees that the team is a piece or two away from being a cup contender. Playoffs, yes, cup no.

So, any movies would be more strategic and based on building to be a cup contender in say 3 years. As such, no matter what happens the tank crowd and the go for the cup crowd will likely be equally disappointed at the deadline.

18 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Canucks could trade some veteran players that could help more than a few teams especially if they retain salary which the team will be positioned to do for a couple of years. Trade Hamhuis and Vrbata to any team below the Flyers cap numbers, about 13 teams or so, of course taking back salary would increase that number.

They could even do a deal to take back salary to improve their draft position with a cash crunched team...Columbus?

LMAO : D

Guidance to who  ?  added polish to what exactly  ?

On topic though I would say JB will be extremely busy trying to move some pieces before the deadline. I doubt we can make any real splash on a top player for the simple fact those teams will want a top prospect going back, and we finally have some depth in the org and trading away youth will be a hard sell.

I see a tough finish to the reg season and falling just short of the playoffs, where we will be poised to make a draft day deal that makes us better down the road to actually compete again.

I feel we can do a little bit of both though. Help a team out for a deep run and also pan handle some assets to go a few spots up in the draft.  Maybe just maybe even make more room for a big deal ?

The great Hamhuis & Verbata is they're on expiring contracts ie there's minimal Cap hit left plys they're FA's after the season concludes....so they don't need to "eat" any salary there's bacsically no salary left....2 month at best. The bad news is how much value do they have just on skill .... so maybe a 2nd round pick is the best we will get

10 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

If thought out, the Nuck could move three or four veterans to a single playoff contender or cup contender, enough that the move would make a significant impact on the standings for one single team. And those players would already have familiarity with each other making their impact felt earlier.

Huh? Do you even engrish?

I think that some fans play so many video games and aren't as active a people used to be that aging isn't somethings that they recognize.

I suspect that some fans here see the Sedins playing the same or better a decade from now and don't know how quick older players can decline not that their effectiveness will be as rapid because they play so well together, almost like a single unit so a 50% drop in each player results in only a 25 to 30% drop in their effectiveness

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The great Hamhuis & Verbata is they're on expiring contracts ie there's minimal Cap hit left plys they're FA's after the season concludes....so they don't need to "eat" any salary there's bacsically no salary left....2 month at best. The bad news is how much value do they have just on skill .... so maybe a 2nd round pick is the best we will get

Yes, they are not going to get any immediate game changers for either of those pieces. No one would make that trade. Picks or at best prospects. but that is a good thing for the future.

1 minute ago, Quoted said:

Yes, they are not going to get any immediate game changers for either of those pieces. No one would make that trade. Picks or at best prospects. but that is a good thing for the future.

Or nothing if the Canucks stay in contention. I think we are going to see many more pending FAs play out the season with their current clubs thanks to league parity.

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Or nothing if the Canucks stay in contention. I think we are going to see many more pending FAs play out the season with their current clubs thanks to league parity.

Maybe. It would be nice to get at least a couple of additional second round picks out of the existing assets though (vs. nothing).

Archived