The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks - MON - FEB15 - 7PM - SNP

numb3r 16

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

The only thing that matters is what Benning/Linden THINK we can be. They seem convinced that we are a playoff team so seem tone operating on the assumption we will make the playoffs despite overwhelming reality that it is a long shot at best. Unless we are mathematically out of the playoffs at the deadline I am willing to bet they move no one of significance.

Are they gonna announce "our team sucks this year"? No. That would be the biggest blunder possible. Of course the goal is always going to be to make the playoffs. Why wouldn't it be?  What they say to media only means so much. How are ticket sales going to do in an already declining market if they say "we're probably not making the playoffs this year, try again next season"

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

1. Historical evidence last year "because we are pushing for the playoffs". Same as the stated approach this year.

2. Benning's own actions/comments regarding UFA players.

Benning is not a bluff kind of guy. If he says it he will most often just do it. What their is no evidence of is that he will do what is needed this year at the deadline. I hope I a wrong but I doubt he will.

Arent you the same guy who thinks we are playing really well this year?

This team playing well?  Depends on the day.

But to declare that none of those players are going to be moved by the TDL is really quite baseless and your points are irrelevant, especially since Benning specifically said they were going to try to trade (minimally) Higgins and Prust.  The only way none at all get traded is if nobody wants them, at all.  But considering he eventually found a taker for Kassian, it should happen.

If you're really that certain, put it as your sig for two weeks ;)

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Are they gonna announce "our team sucks this year"? No. That would be the biggest blunder possible. Of course the goal is always going to be to make the playoffs. Why wouldn't it be?  What they say to media only means so much. How are ticket sales going to do in an already declining market if they say "we're probably not making the playoffs this year, try again next season"

I think many in Vancouver would support the team through a reasonable rebuild time. This smoke and mirrors about being a playoff team, etc is only making it worse. 

As I said, Benning is not really shifty with the media like Gillis was. I think he genuinely believes what he says and his short history of how he has done things certainly supports that.

If the Canucks think the majority of season ticket holders want to keep trying for one and done playoffs then they are delusional.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

This team playing well?  Depends on the day.

But to declare that none of those players are going to be moved by the TDL is really quite baseless and your points are irrelevant, especially since Benning specifically said they were going to try to trade (minimally) Higgins and Prust.  The only way none at all get traded is if nobody wants them, at all.  But considering he eventually found a taker for Kassian, it should happen.

If you're really that certain, put it as your sig for two weeks ;)

This team is terrible. Even when they win or get a loser point they most often look bad doing it. Let me clarify. I don't consider it a positive in any way if it involves giving away or paying another team to take a player. A "trade" at the deadline (buying or selling) is one that actually makes your team better either now or in the future. If a trade does neither it is basically a buyout.

If Benning has to add a pick or take back a crappy contract to trade a guy I consider that the same or worse than just keeping the guy, like with Kassian.

I will not be at all surprised if none of our UFA players are "traded" (read: for actual value that helps us) either because they have negative trade value or because Benning holds on to them for a chance at the playoffs. Maybe he gives some of them away or pays someone to take them but that is not why I am suggesting any of them be moved, just for the sake of it. The team needs value back. 

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This team is terrible. Even when they win or get a loser point they most often look bad doing it. Let me clarify. I don't consider it a positive in any way if it involves giving away or paying another team to take a player. A "trade" at the deadline (buying or selling) is one that actually makes your team better either now or in the future. If a trade does neither it is basically a buyout.

If Benning has to add a pick or take back a crappy contract to trade a guy I consider that the same or worse than just keeping the guy, like with Kassian.

I will not be at all surprised if none of our UFA players are "traded" (read: for actual value that helps us) either because they have negative trade value or because Benning holds on to them for a chance at the playoffs. Maybe he gives some of them away or pays someone to take them but that is not why I am suggesting any of them be moved, just for the sake of it. The team needs value back. 

So if you don't like the trades, they aren't really trades.

20 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Sigh...

Just saw this on Jon Abbot's twitter.

"As for PP, Desjardins didn't think he'd try McCann on the PP in game. Feels Weber is the best option without Edler. Will evaluate tomorrow."

So Biega is benched again....

#FreeWillie

Interesting. But they never put Weber out there at practice on the first power-play unit, hmmm...

biega is getting the McCann treatment now? Guy signs an nhl 2yr extension and the waived player gets called up and supplants him? Biega has a bit of snarl to his game, something we need from more players on our roster. Dont have to be a goon to hit an finish your checks

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So if you don't like the trades, they aren't really trades.

They are trades. They are just not trades that make us any better. The reason teams trade pending UFA players is to get something in return for them rather than letting them walk for nothing. Do you think paying a team to take a UFA player makes any sense for us at all? 

No one really cares about Prust, Weber, Higgins, etc being traded because they essentially have no trade value and will not impact our future anyway whether they stay or go. I don't expect any of them to be traded though or they already would have been.

Hamhuis and Vrbata are the only trade chips we really have. Hanging on to them - even if we were in the same position as last year in points - is utterly ridiculous. But I firmly believe neither will be traded. I would expect at most a bad contract for bad contract deal happens at the deadline with one of those lesser guys or we pay to get rid of guys.

4 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

There are a lot of things to be unhappy about with that roster but I can't help but be thoroughly excited for that revamped PP unit.

Sedin - Sedin - Baertschi

Vey - Hutton

Gives me a reason to tune in.

LOL.  Excited about the Canuck power play AND Linden Vey?  You're the most positive person I've seen in a while.

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting. But they never put Weber out there at practice on the first power-play unit, hmmm...

Weber wasn't on the pp unit in practice, Mccann was.

"As for PP, Desjardins didn't think he'd try McCann on the PP in game. Feels Weber is the best option without Edler. Will re-evaluate tomorrow."

Willie didn't THINK he would, but he decided to try it.

1 minute ago, Boone Jenner said:

These have to be the most depressing line combo's ever..

I wanna start with these and if I were coach the lines would be in a blender all night long... Would be extremely entertaining to watch and listen to the pbp guys try to figure out who's playing where and with whom

Archived