The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Council rejects crucial Arena vote

51 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

I loved Empire...the temp stadium was loads better for football. As others have commented...it was terrible for transit. I think only a few bus lines went near it? (135, 27, 16). So not too friendly in that aspect. 

I would have loved having an outdoor Waterfront stadium. A grass pitch would meant a lot of the superstars who hate turf, might actually have played here instead of claiming injury. 

Even after the renovation, BC Place feels empty and a big bag of hurt.

Rupert train station is nearby but yeah transit isn't at its best over there.

I guess other place is between BC Place and Science World in that big empty spot but doesn't someone own that section?

3 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I guess other place is between BC Place and Science World in that big empty spot but doesn't someone own that section?

Yea Rupert Station & Renfrew are near by, but fans would still need to take the 27/16 up to the Stadium.

I think Concord Pacific owns all that land (see the viaduct removal mockups)... not sure though.

4 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

It's planned for more condos.  

Considering how the folks living there couldn't tolerate the Molson Indy long weekend or even the skytrain going its regular speed ... I can't imagine them going ok for a hypothetical stadium on that spot.  

15 hours ago, tas said:

I think seattle would be a mistake for the nhl.

at best it would be 4th in line for people's sporting entertainment dollar (behind the seahawks, mariners, and sounders), and would be 5th if/when the nba comes back. that's bleak. seattle just doesnt have the population or hockey specific fan base to support it.

and then you have all the canucks fans on here saying how they would go down to seattle in droves to watch the canucks play when the canucks can't even sell out their own arena with tickets available for $25 each. 

I live in Seattle, and consume my time and spend money on going up to Vancouver for Canucks games as well as watching them on TV.  If Seattle got a hockey team, I'd buy Season tickets.

It would also be interesting based on location who will go see the Canucks and who would go to Seattle games.  Such as would people in Bellingham go to Vancouver to see the Canucks play, and would people in Victoria go to Seattle or Vancouver? I find it much easier to get to Victoria from Seattle and vice versa,  than Vancouver to Victoria - Victoria to Vancouver.

14 hours ago, canucks.bradley said:

Yea Rupert Station & Renfrew are near by, but fans would still need to take the 27/16 up to the Stadium.

I think Concord Pacific owns all that land (see the viaduct removal mockups)... not sure though.

Oh Concord now I remember.

Yeah there's not much room for non-residential expansion in this city anymore.  I live in the west end myself and I like being close to venues like BC Place and such (plus I don't drive).

7 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Oh Concord now I remember.

Yeah there's not much room for non-residential expansion in this city anymore.  I live in the west end myself and I like being close to venues like BC Place and such (plus I don't drive).

Yea, there isn't any room for expansion in Vancouver anymore. Outside of the new St Paul's Hospital site...I don't see a big chunk of land.

I wonder if the Lions/Whitecaps will one day pack up shop like the Giants did and move to Surrey. 

58 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

Yea, there isn't any room for expansion in Vancouver anymore. Outside of the new St Paul's Hospital site...I don't see a big chunk of land.

I wonder if the Lions/Whitecaps will one day pack up shop like the Giants did and move to Surrey. 

BC Place is holding back the whitecaps from being a premier team in the MLS

They need their own soccer specific stadium and they will become super successful

The saga of a proposed arena project for Sodo District took a dramatic twist Tuesday with entrepreneur Chris Hansen now saying he’s prepared to do an all-private proposal.

By going all-private, Hansen would eliminate the need to acquire an NBA team within a specific time period. His Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the city and county had required the team to be in hand by November 2017.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGu7PhiffPAhXMx1QKHV0fC1sQqQIIHDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fsports%2Fnba%2Fchris-hansen-pledges-to-go-with-all-private-funding-for-proposed-sodo-arena%2F&usg=AFQjCNFxKRUVzosBLx4GLooHt7iAU2V0VA&sig2=VinYUsZskxrSoWMFARlNwg 

2 hours ago, logic said:

BC Place is holding back the whitecaps from being a premier team in the MLS

They need their own soccer specific stadium and they will become super successful

Agreed. Whitecaps need a real grass field that they can brand and customize the experience. BC Place is just not good enough.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:13 PM, Green Building said:

The saga of a proposed arena project for Sodo District took a dramatic twist Tuesday with entrepreneur Chris Hansen now saying he’s prepared to do an all-private proposal.

By going all-private, Hansen would eliminate the need to acquire an NBA team within a specific time period. His Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the city and county had required the team to be in hand by November 2017.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGu7PhiffPAhXMx1QKHV0fC1sQqQIIHDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fsports%2Fnba%2Fchris-hansen-pledges-to-go-with-all-private-funding-for-proposed-sodo-arena%2F&usg=AFQjCNFxKRUVzosBLx4GLooHt7iAU2V0VA&sig2=VinYUsZskxrSoWMFARlNwg 

This is a game changer!!

The Ball is now in Seattle Council's Court so to speak, They will be hard pressed to reject this offer, the last vote was 5-4 against.

They only need to swing 1 vote, to allow the building of an Arena with all private funds in an Area of the City that is actually zoned for Stadiums and Arenas.  This is a very generous offer.

IMHO an NHL team will be playing in Seattle before 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Russell Wilson joins the Sodo Arena Group

SEATTLE - He's won a Super Bowl. But can he win over Seattle City Hall?

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson today announced he is partnering with the investment group that has been working since 2012 to build a sports arena in Seattle's SODO neighborhood.

http://www.king5.com/news/russell-wilson-joins-sodo-arena-group/351883984

I'm excited to announce I've partnered w/ the Sonics Arena Group to help bring the @NBA & @NHL to the best fan base in the world. Seattle.

On 10/24/2016 at 8:33 PM, brilac said:

I live in Seattle, and consume my time and spend money on going up to Vancouver for Canucks games as well as watching them on TV.  If Seattle got a hockey team, I'd buy Season tickets.

It would also be interesting based on location who will go see the Canucks and who would go to Seattle games.  Such as would people in Bellingham go to Vancouver to see the Canucks play, and would people in Victoria go to Seattle or Vancouver? I find it much easier to get to Victoria from Seattle and vice versa,  than Vancouver to Victoria - Victoria to Vancouver.

Nice to hear.

Based on the very solid support for the Washington WHL teams it seems that there are a lot of hockey fans such as yourself. None of Seattle, Everett, Spokane or Tri-Cities appear to be suffering for attendance. 

I would think that an NHL franchise would only serve to increase the popularity and acceptance of the sport.

On 2016-05-03 at 4:41 AM, StraightFlush said:

The Grizzlies were doomed when they took fat country with first ever pick. 

It it was tried and it failed. End of story

And it really didn't help that they, knowingly chose Steve Francis , who never wanted to be in Vancouver and said as much, with what....a top three pick?

basketball blows. I'd rather watch a real competitive game like rugby or Irish Hurling. 

"Oh oh no foul he touched my hand when I jumped and that guy was in my way when I tried to put the ball in the basket with my really big hands. "

The only sport that is wussier is soccer. Don't even get me started on "red cards". 

Overpaid babies who can barely grunt the English language

• 6 months later...

Press conference scheduled for 2:30pm today to discuss new ownership bid for an NHL expansion team in Seattle as per TSN1040. 

...And the mayor called us the Canoocks

Archived