The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Oh i wasn't going to bash Cody until you led me to do so. He's not a fighter.

you started it with
I like Gaunce's willingness to scrap, even with proven fighters. This is something Hodgson would never do. 'Heart of a Canuck?'
there was no reason to bring up cody, at all. you chose to do so, why? I'll never know.

A continuing comparison to Cody is fair. Esp. when both are young centers from Markham, Ontario. At the moment i guess i baited you into 'defending Cody's honour' in the Gaunce thread and for that i am sorry.

The overall fighting or no fighting debate will go on, and while the Sedins are of course honourable with 'heart', the Marchand incident in particular was very shameful, imo. Heck, even Lidstrom, Sundin or Forsberg would've dropped 'em there. Or at least tackled him. Meh. Old news.

You can thank the teams in front of us for going off the board. That's the only reason he fell to us. Not to be a homer, but he goes 2nd overall in NHL 13.

Calgary's pick still make me lol. Kid was playing in a high school league. Thanks Feaster, the mediocrity in cowtown shall continue...

• Upvote 1

Gaunce was ranking a lot higher up in the draft early last season, but he obviously fell. The question is why. Foot speed?

Gaunce was ranked #13 NA skater by CS.

And some people did go off board - most noticeable being the Calgary Flames who took Mark Jankowski out of nowhere. Also, Philadelphia took Scott Laughton who I had hoped we would land at 26 because I thought Gaunce for sure would have been taken.

Foot speed probably has something to do with him dropping, but also that it was a deep draft with lots of defensive talents, and two exceptional goaltending prospects in Vasilevski and Subban - both of whom were taken before Gaunce.

You can thank the teams in front of us for going off the board. That's the only reason he fell to us. Not to be a homer, but he goes 2nd overall in NHL 13.

Calgary's pick still make me lol. Kid was playing in a high school league. Thanks Feaster, the mediocrity in cowtown shall continue...

Jankowski's supposed to be pretty good though, no?

Jankowski's supposed to be pretty good though, no?

pretty good? yes. better than anyone else taken between cow town's 1st and 2nd pick? lol, no. he could have gotten jankowski in the 2nd, most likely even their 3rd round. everyone was scratching their heads on that one. hell I think half the flames management team on stage was a little perplexed. Edited by avelanch

Guest Gumballthechewy

everyone was scratching their heads on that one. hell I think half the flames management team on stage was a little perplexed.

Yeah, I'm surprised nobody lost their job over that one.

Gaunce is not having the best of starts to the season, but I hope he can pick it up.

And I'm pretty sure Jordan Subban is leading Gaunce's team (Belleville Bulls) in scoring and he's a defenseman - not only that, this is his draft year meaning he's only 17 years old. I'd like to see Gaunce lead his team in that category ...

Apparently Gaunce got hurt in Friday's game against Sudbury.

@News1130Sports #Canucks #1 draft pick Brendan Gaunce will be sidelined for 3-6 weeks with a second degree shoulder separation in the OHL.

Gaunce sidelined three to six weeks

Bulls Head Coach and General Manager George Burnett announced Tuesday that team captain Brendan Gaunce will be sidelined for the next three to six weeks with a second degree shoulder separation suffered late in the third period in Friday's 3-2 loss to the Sudbury Wolves.

Gaunce, who has played an integral role in the leadership and chemistry of the team early on this season, will undergo treatment and rehabilitation in the coming weeks in the hopes of making a safe and smooth return to the Bulls lineup.

With four goals and five assists through his first eleven games, Gaunce has also played a large role in the early season success of the Bulls penalty kill that ranks first in the OHL with a 91.4% efficiency rate. The club's penalty kill has been so effective, that it is five percentage points ahead of the second placed Saginaw Spirit.

The unfortunate news comes just after Gaunce was named to Team OHL for the upcoming Subway Super Series being held in Guelph and Sarnia on November 8th and 12th.

Edited by elvis15