The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

R2-D2 Is Dead

SabreFan1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

You thought that the world had functioning 4 foot robots in 1977?

No, but I didn't think that someone was in a costume. I guess I just never really though about it >____>

3 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

There was a person inside of that?! HOLY $&!#

Now that two of you have said it, I'm curious as to how many people thought that the technology was there to build a believable robotic approximation in 1977.  Basic remote controls for a TV were still a relatively novel idea.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Now that two of you have said it, I'm curious as to how many people thought that the technology was there to build a believable robotic approximation in 1977.  Basic remote controls for a TV were still a relatively novel idea.

I'm surprised someone was in there for the prequels (2 and 3). By that time, they CGI'd everything. 

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think as a kid I probably figured it was a puppet of some kind, not an actual robot.

Plus if we can go space in 69, why not have a robot that spins around in the late 70s?

15 minutes ago, Incursio said:

I think as a kid I probably figured it was a puppet of some kind, not an actual robot.

Plus if we can go space in 69, why not have a robot that spins around in the late 70s?

Well for one the cost of all Apollo missions was well over $20 billion, not to mention funded by US government and their military. The robot could have been built if those 2 entities combined for a badass R2D2. 

48 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Big difference between NASA and a young George Lucas with a limited budget.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Big difference between NASA and a young George Lucas with a limited budget.

And now there is a big difference between George Lucas and NASA with a limited budget. Sadly most people believe Lucas has delivered more than NASA.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Dr Who introduced the K-9 character in '77. There was nobody in that. Radio controlled. I know it did less than the R2 character, but not a lot less.

Just now, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Dr Who introduced the K-9 character in '77. There was nobody in that. Radio controlled. I know it did less than the R2 character, but not a lot less.

The only thing that I know about Dr. Who is that he was a guy who time traveled in a phone booth.  I'll Google the character and check it out.

The technology just wasn't there in 1977 for R2-D2.  Like @Green Buildingsaid, if NASA and the military put funds into it, it would have been super expensive but do-able.  For Hollywood it was just cheaper to stuff people in suits for these things.

8 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

K.  I just watched a few YouTube videos about the Dr. Who robot dog and just .... no.  He isn't even close to R2-D2.

Archived