The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

R2-D2 Is Dead

SabreFan1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

K.  I just watched a few YouTube videos about the Dr. Who robot dog and just .... no.  He isn't even close to R2-D2.

You have to remember that K-9 was conceived by people that thought a toilet plunger made a pretty cool looking weapon. I think with a Hollywood budget, it's not totally outlandish to think R2 was done a similar way. It wasn't, but I think it could have been.

Just now, X-PatLostInEdm said:

You have to remember that K-9 was conceived by people that thought a toilet plunger made a pretty cool looking weapon. I think with a Hollywood budget, it's not totally outlandish to think R2 was done a similar way. It wasn't, but I think it could have been.

The toilet plunger reference is lost on me since I'm not a Dr. Who fan.  I'll Google that to though.  I may have been only 3 in 1977, but I do remember early-mid 80's robotics.  A company named Tomy used to sell robots as toys back then.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

The toilet plunger reference is lost on me since I'm not a Dr. Who fan.  I'll Google that to though.  I may have been only 3 in 1977, but I do remember early-mid 80's robotics.  A company named Tomy used to sell robots as toys back then.

It's not really worth wasting your time on. One of the recurring characters was known as a Dalek. One of it's built-in weapons strongly resembled a toilet plunger.

Just now, X-PatLostInEdm said:

It's not really worth wasting your time on. One of the recurring characters was known as a Dalek. One of it's built-in weapons strongly resembled a toilet plunger.

I remember my older brother liked Dr. Who for a short time, but I never got into it as a kid.  Tom Baker played the main character.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm surprised someone was in there for the prequels (2 and 3). By that time, they CGI'd everything. 

from what i understand, the original cast was always re-signed to play bit roles like that sometimes only for a few minutes of screen time. just to have the name on the credits. that's what they did with the new chewbacca, too

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This was what 10 years after Star Wars?

Not a robot, but a remote operated vehicle. 

Johnny 5!!  Basic robotics took a leap in the 80's.  I remember people freaking out when robotics started being used in factories for manufacturing.

Once profit is involved, businesses pony up the cash.

6 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Big difference between NASA and a young George Lucas with a limited budget.

It all depends on what you believe. I suppose your right NASA's budget would have been bigger than Lucas's.

I mean just imagine the possibilities if NASA employed a band of little people in mechanical suits.  

One small step for a man. One giant leap ect....

8 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Big difference between NASA and a young George Lucas with a limited budget.

You're making it seem like anyone who thought that was possible is an idiot, so I'm just saying that it isn't entirety out of the realm of possibility to think that they could have made a remote control robot that span around. Obviously they didn't have NASA money <_<

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

It all depends on what you believe. I suppose your right NASA's budget would have been bigger than Lucas's.

I mean just imagine the possibilities if NASA employed a band of little people in mechanical suits.  

One small step for a man. One giant leap ect....

Forget NASA, that sounds like a movie that I'd watch. :lol:

36 minutes ago, Incursio said:

You're making it seem like anyone who thought that was possible is an idiot, so I'm just saying that it isn't entirety out of the realm of possibility to think that they could have made a remote control robot that span around. Obviously they didn't have NASA money <_<

That's not what I'm saying at all.  That's more than a tad harsh to think about someone on a subject that one would give zero thought to before in their lifetime.

Now using the word "span" instead of "spun".... :lol:

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's not what I'm saying at all.  That's more than a tad harsh to think about someone on a subject that one would give zero thought to before in their lifetime.

Now using the word "span" instead of "spun".... :lol:

I used to think you were nice :(

7 hours ago, Incursio said:

I used to think you were nice :(

Sucker!!!!!!!!  :lol:

Actually I am pretty nice.  That's why I wouldn't think that anybody, right or wrong, who joins a discussion about robotics is an idiot.  I was a little surprised when you thought that I was saying that about you or others.

Archived