The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Night Terrors' Augmented Reality Mobile Game

elvis15

http://www.pophorror.com/night-terrors-is-the-pokemon-go-for-horror-fans/

Pokémon GO has taken the world by storm. It has introduced people to a new type of mobile gaming; getting up and walking around while your smartphone camera imposes images onto your screen in real time. I have to admit, while marketed as a children’s game, many adults (including myself) play Pokémon GO. A new, revolutionary game like this will inevitably inspire creative inception in other game developers. There is already one such game that is due for release on Halloween of this year called Night Terrors.According the title of the game, I doubt many Pokémon GO players under 12 years old will download this one.

Night Terrors was announced in May of 2015 and Pokémon GO was announced in September of that same year, so the horror model actually came first. Night Terrors, however, was an Indiegogo project that relied on donations. Pokémon GO was obviously a big studio announcement from Nintendo and Niantic. I’m sure that Pokémon GO releasing earlier than Night Terrors can only be better marketing for Novum Analytics, the developer of this ghostly new mobile game.

The premise of Night Terrors is pretty simple. While wearing headphones, you play the game at night with all the lights off and your phone projects ghostly images and spooky sounds all around you. The game can also “interfere” with your phone’s operating system, sending frightening texts and pictures. Here is the official synopsis of the game from Novum Analytics:

Night Terrors is a highly immersive, photorealistic, binaural, augmented reality survival horror game for mobile devices.  Gameplay takes place at home, after dark, with the lights off and your headphones on.

This game is the stuff of nightmares! Lucky for me and all the horror fans reading this, we like nightmares. A good nightmare is like being in a horror movie, and this game is the equivalent of live action, virtual bad dreams – hence the title Night Terrors. So instead of handing out candy or trying to pop out from behind a curtain to scare unsuspecting children this Halloween, I’ll be running around my house playing this game… probably with an adult diaper on.

tumblr_nwfq44NJo61rdredko1_500.gif

I'm halfway interested but also not interested in walking around my house in the dark and tripping over dogs and stuff. If it was something you could do outdoors as well it could be more interesting as your own house would get repetitive. Thoughts? Nopes?

I'm a big time walker, so the Pokemon Go experience has been wonderful for me. Despite still loving Pokemon Go, I'm totally excited to see what other AR games are on the horizon, especially if they encourage or require physical activity

Unfortunately, this just seems sorta shallow in comparison to Go. I love horror, so I'd love to see some other stuff similar to this, but just walking around my house terrifying myself doesn't sound like the most fun I could be having..?

I'll probably give it a try, but I wonder if it would be possible to do like a zombie apocalypse type AR game outside? similar to that "run! zombies!" app, but more along the lines of Pokemon Go?

Yeah, that's more what I was thinking, daytime or night you could be walking around with the app open and you would be notified of something attacking/frightening you. Even with the horror storyline - which is pretty A to Z as far as plot goes rather than open-ended like Go - you'd be getting the weird OS stuff and texts and leading to challenges or something similar. Not sure how best that'd work, but there's something playable there.

How about a cross between Pokémon Go and Tinder?!?:emot-parrot:

Poke & Go

huh?

huh?

you know y'all would try it...

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

How about a cross between Pokémon Go and Tinder?!?:emot-parrot:

Poke & Go

huh?

huh?

you know y'all would try it...

you're a freaking genius!