The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In less then 36 years, most of Richmond, YVR, some of Surrey, Langley will be under water. Middle East to become uninhabitable.

hsedin33

3 hours ago, 6YPE said:

I think it depends on which scientists you are talking about. There are those that agree with what you're saying, that human activity has a huge impact on the climate, and others that say its not nearly the impact that others are saying... Pretty sure a lot of those "scientific findings" are dollar dependant. 

This is almost as bad an argument as those people who say vaccines cause autism and when given irrefutable scientific evidence contrary to the point go on to talk about how they're just being bought off.

There is an overwhelming amount of scientists (literally over 97% from most polls) who agree that climate change has been exasperated by human interference. This isn't just some random belief that spread - its backed by millions of pages of scientific evidence. Yet for some reason some of you would rather believe some bottom of the rack media outlet that its all made up.

38 minutes ago, Fateless said:

This is almost as bad an argument as those people who say vaccines cause autism and when given irrefutable scientific evidence contrary to the point go on to talk about how they're just being bought off.

There is an overwhelming amount of scientists (literally over 97% from most polls) who agree that climate change has been exasperated by human interference. This isn't just some random belief that spread - its backed by millions of pages of scientific evidence. Yet for some reason some of you would rather believe some bottom of the rack media outlet that its all made up.

Human impact on the earth, in a geological context, is pretty minimal.  We're barely a blink in the history of the planet and it will go through millions of cycles long after humans have disappeared.  

I'm not saying that we shouldn't minimise our impact, of course we should, but it's certainly egocentric of us to think that We're going to have a long term impact on earth.  Nature will eradicate us long before that, if we don't don't it to ourselves first.

4 hours ago, 6YPE said:

I think it depends on which scientists you are talking about. There are those that agree with what you're saying, that human activity has a huge impact on the climate, and others that say its not nearly the impact that others are saying... Pretty sure a lot of those "scientific findings" are dollar dependant. 

It's 99.7% of peer reviewed papers in favor and .3% against.  Yeah, it's totally same thing both sides though.

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

appreciate the common sense post.

How many times do we have to hear this city, that city, this place will be 10 feet under water....No doesn't work like that, takes time and yes things will be done to work with it to a degree.

Common.  Sense.

Yes, it's totally feasible to build a wall along the coasts of every landmass.  Or are we just going back to walled cities everywhere that becomes below sea level?

How is either of those ideas remotely common sense?

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'll be dead by then fortunately or at the very least in assisted living with most of my marbles lost so it really doesn't affect me. 

&^@# you, I got mine.

3 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

It's 34 years away, you could be in the same room as me molesting the cute nurses...  :lol:

I'll probably be dead by then(72 is getting a little old for someone who parties as hard as I do) but I still care.  I would care even if I didn't have a kid on the way.  &^@# you I got mine is a terrible attitude.  I don't want human civilization to crumble.

17 hours ago, hsedin33 said:

I would assume that as the oceans rise, the waves will penetrate deeper and deeper inland to the point where there will be a massive evacuation of that area. Storms might also cause excess flooding, nothing permanent I would assume. An earthquake around this time 'the big one' would be catastrophic however, think Japan several years ago.

My biggest concern would be in the US however, with half of Florida including Miami going under water. You can't simply move 100+ million people overnight. At some point the water will flow inland and at that point the US government better has it's poop together and have places for those people to go.

I hate that people look to the government to solve the problem du jour that they knew was an eventuality.  People know that the sea levels are rising there and they keep buying real estate. If they aren't buying then they seem to not care and are staying put. Why should it be other taxpayers paying for these peoples idiocy? If the government should be doing anything it should be giving incentives for people to move away. Even that I don't support but see the logic in. 

1 hour ago, Jimayo said:

Common.  Sense.

Yes, it's totally feasible to build a wall along the coasts of every landmass.  Or are we just going back to walled cities everywhere that becomes below sea level?

How is either of those ideas remotely common sense?

?

The post was common sense re: not going to happen overnight or without ability to come up with solutions  and prepare to leave certain areas over time.

Obviouslyw people will not bud walls everywhere lol....unless well that turd gets into office down south haha

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Human impact on the earth, in a geological context, is pretty minimal.  We're barely a blink in the history of the planet and it will go through millions of cycles long after humans have disappeared.  

I'm not saying that we shouldn't minimise our impact, of course we should, but it's certainly egocentric of us to think that We're going to have a long term impact on earth.  Nature will eradicate us long before that, if we don't don't it to ourselves first.

You're not wrong that the time period that humans have been on earth has been minimal - but the impact we're leaving is beyond anything the planet has experienced before.

The Anthropocene has seen more extinctions than any other period in the planet's history - this includes the Ice Ages, any meteor strikes and any other disaster faced by the planet. The temperature in the last 50 years has risen at a rate exponentially faster than during any other period in the Earth's history. Climate critics always fall back to the "the Earth has always naturally had changing climates" argument - and they're partially correct. The Earth's temperature has always shifted over millions of years - the problem is that the rate the planet's temperature is rising at directly correlates to the Industrial Revolution and the following evolution of green house gas technology by humans. So to pretend like we aren't impacting or doing damage to the planet is silly. Humans are resilient and we'll find a way to survive - as long as there is a rock beneath or feet. The problem is that I disagree with your last statement. I believe we can do irreparable harm to this planet long before it can wipe us out completely.

6 hours ago, Fateless said:

The 97% is a good example of repeating something often enough hoping that it becomes fact.  Here is a no spin graph of sea level rises for the last 136 years.  It shows an average rise of about a sixteenth of an inch per year, a bit more since 1940  Scary eh....lol. slr_epa_1880-2014_chart.png

5 hours ago, Jimayo said:

It's 99.7% of peer reviewed papers in favor and .3% against.  Yeah, it's totally same thing both sides though.

I think you spend too much time watching the CBC.

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

You're not wrong that the time period that humans have been on earth has been minimal - but the impact we're leaving is beyond anything the planet has experienced before.

The Anthropocene has seen more extinctions than any other period in the planet's history - this includes the Ice Ages, any meteor strikes and any other disaster faced by the planet. The temperature in the last 50 years has risen at a rate exponentially faster than during any other period in the Earth's history. Climate critics always fall back to the "the Earth has always naturally had changing climates" argument - and they're partially correct. The Earth's temperature has always shifted over millions of years - the problem is that the rate the planet's temperature is rising at directly correlates to the Industrial Revolution and the following evolution of green house gas technology by humans. So to pretend like we aren't impacting or doing damage to the planet is silly. Humans are resilient and we'll find a way to survive - as long as there is a rock beneath or feet. The problem is that I disagree with your last statement. I believe we can do irreparable harm to this planet long before it can wipe us out completely.

More than a meteor strike?  Really?  That's what you're going with?

1 hour ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

I'm not a hippy by any means, but I want a solar powered house along with a wind turbine for the winter and be completely off the grid just so I wouldn't have to support or rely on Government power 

I pretty much want a space station complete with micro brewery.

1 minute ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

sounds good in theory but what happens when you puke?

9/10 times I pass out before that happens.

however I think that's when the advantage of zero gravity will come into play.  In that event I'll send the dog after it.

Archived