The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in D Matt Benning

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Before anyone asks, he is the nephew of Jim Benning.

Then he is coming here, and Benning will NEVER trade him.

Talent Analysis

Benning is the son of former NHL defenseman Brian Benning and the nephew of Canucks' GM Jim Benning. He is a rugged defensive defenseman with some offensive elements to his game. He has average height but is heavy and strong and can be a devastating hitter. His skating needs work and his overall game must continue to develop during his college career. His ability to step right into the lineup at Northeastern and play a key role in his first two seasons suggests he can be a late-round sleeper.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/matt-benning/#rimvoYC5TWb3a1o8.99

I like the heavy hitter part. Sounds like he could use a couple seasons in the AHL though.

54 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

whats the good word on him ??

From what my friends tell me, he's a big heavy kid that likes to play a big heavy game. Definitely has leadership skills, but for sure not the Captain Serious type-- he likes to keep things light in the locker room. I'll try to find out more when the semester starts which is 2 and a half weeks from now. 

Funny enough I have a friend who goes to BU and she was literately in the same class as Charles McAvoy last year in the Fall. 

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How is he a free agent exactly? He's only gone to college for 3 years no?

Good news if true. He had pretty solid numbers in his 14/15 season. Teammate of Gaudette's and obviously Benning would know his character pretty well. 

A team can only hold the rights to 90 players. I am guessing the Bruins decided not to include this guy in their list.

Archived