The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

torts comments are bang on

linden17

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No, what he is doing is only for his own selfish intention, and is more totalitarian in nature.  

Now, where do we find common ground?  

Yeah, donating to charity, and getting people to discuss where patriotism ends and peoples rights begin is real totalitarian. 

Like standing, to a song and a sheet of brightly coloured cloth, and being a good corporate drone means you're a good patriot.

Before Colin started this who was talking about it? NO ONE. How is that selfish and totalitarian? 

How many people stand and remove their hats at a bar? Or at a restaurant where a game is playing? How many people are in the stadium are stuffing their faces with food, or beer, or in line, or taking a bio break?

Sometimes you have to make a stand. Like in 1968. 

On 9/10/2016 at 5:42 AM, Mr.53 said:

And I still disagree with him 100 percent. I'm with Kaepernick. The flag and the anthem are not the end goal. The people of the country are the end goal. If a person wants to use their high profile position with millions of fans and people who watch to send a message to make the country a better place for all citizens, you have no business trying to keep them from saying it and therefore, doing right by their community because you personally disagree. He's basically saying that you can express yourself but you can't disrespect the flag and the anthem because men and women have died for that flag. No they did not. They died for the country and what the country was supposed to be. A country where every citizen is treated with dignity, respect, and has the right not to be killed in the street without due process guaranteed by the constitution. Right now that's not happening. The flag is not the be all end all. The country and it's citizens are. If someone wants to use that flag, and their first amendment rights, you have no business trying to stop them, and no business benching them. Tortorella is still wrong, and I have still lost respect for him.

that is the best post in this thread. two thumbs up.

What I find funniest about this debate is how many people are railing against these imaginary "Sitters" like it already happened (in  a hockey game). It did not. But many comments including one by our friend Twinkie Sparkle  sound as if it did.  

OUTRAGE over an imagined transgression.  Torts is the same. It has not and will not happen.   

In the words of Shakespear "Much ado about nothing"

I do like the last paragraph in the quote you quoted, was that Torts?

On September 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah, donating to charity, and getting people to discuss where patriotism ends and peoples rights begin is real totalitarian. 

Like standing, to a song and a sheet of brightly coloured cloth, and being a good corporate drone means you're a good patriot.

Before Colin started this who was talking about it? NO ONE. How is that selfish and totalitarian? 

How many people stand and remove their hats at a bar? Or at a restaurant where a game is playing? How many people are in the stadium are stuffing their faces with food, or beer, or in line, or taking a bio break?

Sometimes you have to make a stand. Like in 1968. 

I was commenting on your  suggestion that " the purpose of democracy is to find common ground", so I chose the opposite extreme to you.  When peoples' opinions are so polar opposite, I seriously question their finding common ground.  

My apologies if my post made no sense.  :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, lmm said:

that is the best post in this thread. two thumbs up.

What I find funniest about this debate is how many people are railing against these imaginary "Sitters" like it already happened (in  a hockey game). It did not. But many comments including one by our friend Twinkie Sparkle  sound as if it did.  

OUTRAGE over an imagined transgression.  Torts is the same. It has not and will not happen.   

In the words of Shakespear "Much ado about nothing"

I do like the last paragraph in the quote you quoted, was that Torts?

The part where he talked about others doing the 'real stuff'? Yeah I think that was Torts. Thanks for the support. But yeah, we were all basically talking in hypotheticals but it still does say something about what people find to be important. I'm of the mindset that the most important part is helping the citizens and progressing he country, much more so than blind allegiance to a piece of fabric or a song, every time. But this is much ado about nothing because it didn't happen and won't happen. That much I can agree. 

Archived