The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[LeBrun] Canucks Looking to Add 20 Goal Scorer Via Trade Market.

LaBamba

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/report-canucks-hoping-to-trade-for-20-goal-scorer

Report: Canucks hoping to trade for 20 goal scorer

Well, really, who wouldn’t want to add a 20 goal scorer to their lineup?

With his team struggling to score, TSN’s Pierre Lebrun reports Canucks GM Jim Benning is  after a scoring winger. Even after their early big-money splash signing of Loui Eriksson, the Canucks spent much of the summer hoping to land another scorer.

The Canucks don’t really have many trade chips. They’ve got their prize prospect trio of Thatcher Demko, Brock Boeser and Olli Juolevi, though it’s hard to imagine the team moving any of them, given how bare the cupboard is otherwise.

There’s also defenceman Chris Tanev, who’s well-rated around the league. The emergence of Troy Stecher means the Canucks are again in a nine-man pickle on defence. Tanev looks ready to return to action, so a move is expected; can they really send Stecher back to the AHL after his strong first week in the NHL? The team has been reluctant to expose Alex Biega to waivers, and Nikita Tryamkin can choose to return to the KHL instead of a minor league demotion, something we know he’s opposed to. The team is committed to Luca Sbisa and Philip Larsen so it’s hard to see them going anywhere either.

The Canucks don’t really have many trade chips. They’ve got their prize prospect trio of Thatcher Demko, Brock Boeser and Olli Juolevi, though it’s hard to imagine the team moving any of them, given how bare the cupboard is otherwise.

There’s also defenceman Chris Tanev, who’s well-rated around the league. The emergence of Troy Stecher means the Canucks are again in a nine-man pickle on defence. Tanev looks ready to return to action, so a move is expected; can they really send Stecher back to the AHL after his strong first week in the NHL? The team has been reluctant to expose Alex Biega to waivers, and Nikita Tryamkin can choose to return to the KHL instead of a minor league demotion, something we know he’s opposed to. The team is committed to Luca Sbisa and Philip Larsen so it’s hard to see them going anywhere either.

The thing about finding a 20 goal scorer: they don’t grow on trees, but there were three guys available this summer who fit the bill and all three ended up signing for very affordable numbers. Brandon Pirri didn’t sign with New York until late August, and although both Eric Staal and PA Parenteau were snapped up early in free agency, neither signed for a big contract.

Combined, the Staal ($3.5 million, 3 years), Parenteau ($1.25 million, 1 year) and Pirri ($975,000, 1 year) contracts total less than the $6 million, 6 year contract signed with Eriksson. (Parenteau, who scored 20 goals with the Leafs last season, signed with the Islanders this summer but was waived at the end of training camp as is now with New Jersey.)

"This isn't about developing players it's about winning now"

Brace yourselves, trader Jim has too many draft picks burning in his pocket. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

If it's for a young impact player like Landeskog sign me up.

If we're throwing away more 2nd round picks for 28+ year olds no thanks.

You damn well know what they are gonna do..

I feel like this will be a Derek Roy type deal but in Nov instead.

8 minutes ago, AriGold said:

You damn well know what they are gonna do..

I feel like this will be a Derek Roy type deal but in Nov instead.

There may be some deals to be had for players that are going to be expansion fodder next season.

Benning is going to have to get creative though. I'm not sure we have anything to offer more than Sbisa and a 2nd though.

Is Evander Kane still on their radar? Do they risk making a move for him?

I just don't see the point of having both Stetcher and Larsen on the roster. One is clearly better than the other and only going to improve. Larsen might even clear waivers? But there's absolutely no reason why Larsen is still on our roster. 

Having said that, JB needs to be listening to offers for all 9 of our NHL ready dmen. I don't care who it is, if they land us someone like Landeskog then you make that deal. Hell, I'd probably do Tanev + Tryamkin for Landy and a pick. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

There may be some deals to be had for players that are going to be expansion fodder next season.

Benning is going to have to get creative though. I'm not sure we have anything to offer more than Sbisa and a 2nd though.

See post above yours.  ::D

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

For some reason I have this feel (99% sure) Kane will end up in Vegas.

It won't be good for him but I feel like it will happen.

What if the trade is for someone like Boone Jenner, who can play wing or centre. Hits, is 6'2" and 215 lbs. 

Who is struggling so far and had 30 goals last year.

Don't assume you know what Benning is trading for. Then again wasn't there a rumour in preseason we were looking for a 20 goal scorer? 

Just now, AriGold said:

For some reason I have this feel (99% sure) Kane will end up in Vegas.

It won't be good for him but I feel like it will happen.

Not a chance.  He would be traded before that.  The Sabres paid too much for him to just lose him that way.  He'll be one of the guys protected by the team.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

What if the trade is for someone like Boone Jenner, who can play wing or centre. Hits, is 6'2" and 215 lbs. 

Who is struggling so far and had 30 goals last year.

Don't assume you know what Benning is trading for. Then again wasn't there a rumour in preseason we were looking for a 20 goal scorer? 

Not just a rumour.  Benning has been flat out saying it since last season.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not a chance.  He would be traded before that.  The Sabres paid too much for him to just lose him that way.  He'll be one of the guys protected by the team.

Wow.. Bold call to say not a chance, he's 26? Years old That's at least 10 more playing years of hockey.

He's a known Vegas whore!

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know of an abusive, slightly rapey, 20 goal scorer with some tender ribs at the moment that is available for trade.  ;)

Bonus: He's even from Vancouver!

Funny, sounds almost like you're describing Patrick Kane.

He's from Buffalo though. Hey maybe the Sabres should make a pitch for him. ;)

Just now, AriGold said:

Wow.. Bold call to say not a chance, he's 26? Years old That's at least 10 more playing years of hockey.

He's a known Vegas whore!

He owns a condo in Vegas.  He could be traded there, but he won't be given away for free.

Archived