The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) stacking up the prospect pool

First we need to eliminate the useless players in our organisation under contract...

D Biega 

C Chaput

D Larsen 

RW Megna

RW Skille 

Hanse and maybe  Burrows will not be on our team after the season so that's 1 maybe 2 spots. 

D Chad billins

D Evan mceneny

D Tom Nilsson 

RW Alex grenier (we don't use him anyways plus he's 26)

C valk 

RW Archibald 

Borna redulic 

Yan pavel lablante 

That's a lot of contract spots given to career AHLers.

Plus Utica can drop a bunch of them after the seasons over or send them to the echl.

Like whyyyyyyy??

So my proposal is we fill the prospect cabinets with as many college free agents as we can. I'm not saying we get all of these guys but the more we get the better.

Promise each of these players an NHL shot and if that doesn't work a spot in the AHL. 

First sign our own like...

Brock boeser 

Adam gaudette 

Lukas Jasek

Dmitry zhukenov

Carl Neill 

Guilliame brisebois 

Then the free agents....

Defenders: (get 2-4 here)

Danile brickley GP24 PTS27

Neal pionk GP30 PTS24

Gavin Bayreuther GP25 PTS25

Jimmy Schuldt GP30 PTS15

And adding (2-5) of any forwards of...

LW Zach Aston Reese (plays with gaudette) GP32 PTS56

C Mike vecchione GP32 PTS54

C John Stevens (plays with gaudette)

GP19 PTS21

LW CJ Smith GP32 PTS40

RW Tyler kelleher(gaudreau that passes) 

GP32 PTS57

The great thing about college free agents are that they are basically like getting prospects that have done their developing in minors and are ready for the pro game.

If canucks got as many of those guys as they could and started them all in the ahl next year utica would be stacked. Plus we'd have great prospects ready to break through like Toronto maybe better!

Utica could potentially have...

Aston-Reese gaudette boeser 

Smith Stevens Virtanen 

Labate vecchione Kelleher

Jasek zhukenov cassels 

Pedan subban 

Brickley pionk 

Neill brisbois 

Demko 

Utica is younger and way more skilled 

Ik that a lot of teams will be in on these guys but some of them we have leverage on because gaudette is their teammate. 

As Well as they are promised to not go back to college hockey.

Plus we could tell them the plan to add as many great college free agents do deepen our prospect pool.

These guys will impress and in a year or two most of them will convert to nhl hockey.

I nvr got the point of having an Ahl team with players that'll not make it. Load it with prospects and the ones that shine will be the ones making the NHL.

Btw if canucks draft anywhere from 1-5 the order should be...

Patrick 

Hischier 

Vilardi 

Mittelstadt

liljegren 

Obviously canucks wouldn't be good next year so maybe another bottom 5 again. This draft they could potentially pick up a superstar.

3-5 year's canucks will be on top of the hockey world again

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

Promise each of these players an NHL shot and if that doesn't work a spot in the AHL. 

Would much prefer if our prospects earn their shots instead of being promised them.

BTW,  EVERY single NHL/AHL franchise has career 'AHLers' - we're not the only one.   You literally cannot ice a competitive farm team without them.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Evan McEneny is looking better than Subban as a prospect right now.

"Let's just get rid of all the prospects we haven't heard of or don't care about regardless of how they're actually doing or the needs of our affiliates." Am I right?

But yeah, we aren't doing that. We certainly won't just get rid of prospects who are still RFAs and waiver exempt, and it's not so easy to sign a whole bunch of other, supposedly better prospects to replace them. Sure, we'll have newer prospects joining the pro ranks soon, but there's still lots of room to bring players in without having to dump half our AHL team.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Evan McEneny is looking better than Subban as a prospect right now. 

Yes. For the last 20 games McEneny has looked better than Subban. People need to calm their tits. How about for the past 4 years. Who's looked better?

It could just be a hot streak.

19 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Yes. For the last 20 games McEneny has looked better than Subban. People need to calm their tits. How about for the past 4 years. Who's looked better?

It could just be a hot streak.

I think you may have missed the overall point to that statement. We're not proclaiming him the second coming of Lidstrom, we're just saying it's a terrible idea to dump a prospect who's actually been one of if not our best Comet's defencemen.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I think you may have missed the overall point to that statement. We're not proclaiming him the second coming of Lidstrom, we're just saying it's a terrible idea to dump a prospect who's actually been one of if not our best Comet's defencemen.

I've watched the Utica games on TV.  McEneny has progressed to where he's a lot better than Subban.  If anything, Subban has even regressed somewhat.

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Maybe missed the overall point you guys are getting at yes. But the phrase "better than Subban" kind of irks me (I know he said "right now"). It's like saying horvat is better than sedins. Yeah maybe during the twins worst year statistically compared to Horvats best. But historically? No.

First of all mceneny sucks, let's just put that out there. But if u like him then we can keep him and get rid of someone else on the comets. 

And those adds will be better than a lot of the ppl Utica currently has. 

And I know of all of them on Utica ik them as much as I know canucks players. 

We should get rid of them if the younger better college players earn a spot. 

U can't tell me you'd rather have the AHL players mentioned than the college players. 

At least the college players can become something. A lot of those ahl players have hit their ceiling. 

We r stacking up the prospect pool and getting rid of the players just taking up space. 

Archived