The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

Willie has been our coach since 2014 and I thought it's time that we do an overall evaluation of this guy. Sure, he took us to the playoffs in 2015, but so what?

We took a major step back last season and now this season again, we've played our selves out of the playoff picture and have finally triggered a much needed rebuild.

My question is how do you guys rate Willie D's performance from a scale of 1 to 10 and why tf did you guys want him hired in the first place? I would've taken Lindy Ruff over this dude. He doesn't seem to trust the young guys, however, when your going through a transition/rebuild like the Canucks are, you have to let the young guys play.

When AV first came in, he was somewhat criticized for not playing our young players enough (Kesler hansen etc. at that time) however, AV was a smart dude and he knew how to play a guy to his strengths. Willie D doesn't seem to have a clue with what he's doing and I think it's time we get rid of him either now, or once the season is done. What are your thoughts?

I'd rate him an -5 right now.  If you asked me how I'd rate him in 2014/15 season, I'd rate him 8 out of 10.    If you asked me last season, I'd rate him 4 out of 10 but this year, he has regressed so much with his line-up decisions, actually worsen because he has become so insecure with his job and actually did the opposite of what the management wanted at that time.   JB had to force Willie to insert Bo in the line-up, had to do whatever he asked Willie to do and did the opposite and that has to be frustrating for Benning.   So I wouldn't be surprised that Willie could be gone tomorrow when the cooler head has prevailed and realized that he is not a right man for this team.  He wouldn't last the season with the way he treated the young players.  

A lot of people came into their own under Willie: Horvat, Hutton, Tryamkin, Stecher, Granlund, Baertschi. Now, I don't think any of the aforementioned players success hinged on Willie himself, but this is a significant amount of players developing at a decent rate in a short amount of time. Was it all because of Willie? Probably not, but he must have played a hand in it. You just can't have a terrible coach develop kids like this, so I don't think it's all true to say he doesn't know how to play to the player's strengths. 

But the way he has deployed the young guns at times have been questionable at best. Scratching of both McCann and Virtanen erratically last year was borderline infuriating. Favouring depth players over promising players in development. The way he has used Goldobin, Boucher, Markstrom this season. Mismanaging power play minutes, such as Bo being off the PP for the longest time. This all seems like a step back from the coach who was great with young guys he was touted to be. 

I get that this is a team in transition so there's this giant black hole of prospects that should have hit their prime right now, so I don't hold Willie to fault for everything; the torch is literally being given from a 36 year old to a 21 year old, it's too much of a gap. Willie has had to work with a lot of raw, unrefined talent but also stay competitive in order to keep a job; so I sympathize a tad bit. I always liked the guy, but I feel that we can do better given the direction we're going.

13 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

did the opposite of what the management wanted at that time.   JB had to force Willie to insert Bo in the line-up, had to do whatever he asked Willie to do and did the opposite and that has to be frustrating for Benning.

Are U on 3 WAY when this talk is going on???

I heard JB say that he likes what WD is doing & thinks he's doing a great job.  That's why WD is still here...

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

As much as people through around Mike Keenen...this guy may go down as the worst. 

I truly believe he is bat $hit crazy and needs a psychiatric evaluation...tonight solidified that.

Yup, when the coach WINS & people still :frantic:,a psychiatric evaluation is needed all right....:wacko: 

12 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'd like everybody who rips on WD for failing our youth movement to name all of our prospects/rookies/sophomores that he has coached, and explain how they're progressing thus far. I don't expect many answers.

I'm not ripping on WD for failing our youth movement but just for fun:

Horvat: Doing great.

Baertschi: Doing great.

Hutton: Doing good.

Stecher: Doing pretty good.

Tryamkin: Doing great.

Gaunce: Doing average, maybe below average considering his 1st round status.

Virtanen: S*cks a$$ right now

McCann: Better than Virtanen but not as good as expected.

Vey: Where is this guy now?

Kenins: Disappeared.

Rodin: Injured

Granlund doesn't count, as he was already beyond sophomore season when he arrived.

Anyhow, I think the players that are doing great are doing great because the players have worked hard not because of WD. The players that aren't doing great are because, they are not great players or have not tried hard enough. Virtanen has the tools but hasn't been able to put it together so far; it's not because WD that he isn't good at the moment. Gaunce lacks speed and offensive instincts; again, not WD's fault. Vey had some skill and good vision and hockey IQ but was below average in skating and physicality... WD tried so hard for Vey and yet, Vey failed him. Kenins was just fluke. Rodin just unlucky.

Edit: I give credit to WD for developing Baertschi though. The others, I think they came into their own basically by themselves. 

I'd give WD 5/10.

As we saw in 2014/15, give him pieces and he will get good results. His idea of rolling 4 lines definitely is nice especially if your team lacks a superstar and to be honest, that's how JB is building the team. A team that is deep top to bottom but one that may not have a superstar like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, etc. Anyhow, so this makes me think that he is at least an average coach. Of course, we saw how he failed at the match up game against Calgary.

He is reasonable to some level. If you watch his press conference, he always has a reason for his decisions -- be it right or wrong. If he is wrong, I think he is not afraid to admit and willing to adjust.

I don't think he is a good coach because good coaches can make up for lack of talent with effective system. He has shown that he isn't able to build one. Not yet anyways. He isn't strategic either.

So 5/10 -- an average coach.

I know a lot of people don't agree with his benching of kids and line combinations (which I certainly don't), but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night. The systems might not be great, but he's getting some real work ethic out of these players. Other teams commentators have noticed this time and time again, and they know the Canucks are always fighting right to the end and in games - they rarely get blown out like most bad teams. Credit WD for that.

Now you add in some top-end skill like Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Boeser and hopefully a high 1st overall pick and you've got a pretty good recipe going. We just need that skill and it's coming.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know a lot of people don't agree with his benching of kids and line combinations (which I certainly don't), but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night. The systems might not be great, but he's getting some real work ethic out of these players. Other teams commentators have noticed this time and time again, and they know the Canucks are always fighting right to the end and in games - they rarely get blown out like most bad teams. Credit WD for that.

Now you add in some top-end skill like Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Boeser and hopefully a high 1st overall pick and you've got a pretty good recipe going. We just need that skill and it's coming.

Cool, A real fan that sees it like it REALLY is.., Wow. 

Archived