The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

Willie D as the players have said is a tremendous teacher, and is very good at helping young players progress. This is exactly what the Canucks needs from their assistant coach. He's incredibly loyal to his players, and that makes them work very hard for him, but this loyalty can also be a fault as he's slow to change at times. For me he's somewhere in between a assistant and a head coach at the moment. This is mainly due to the Canucks being on the youth movement. If you gave Willie a talented team of veterans I have no doubt he could get them to give a cup a good run. Right now we don't have that though, and he's caught in between developing players, and being loyal to the vets. Not his fault, he's doing his best and it's a tough spot. Obviously it's easy for us to say try something else with our short term views, but in 3 or 4 years I want Willie coaching this team to a playoff run. 

6 hours ago, WZRD said:

Would love to hear "fire willie" chants at the next home game. 

Yes indeed!  The last game, people should wear bags on their heads and chant "FREE WILLIE" !   (BTW, is safe to assume that when WILLIE is FIRED on April 8th at 9:32 p.m. that Willie's boy - Larsen automatically goes too?)    If so, that would be a double bonus!

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know a lot of people don't agree with his benching of kids and line combinations (which I certainly don't), but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night. The systems might not be great, but he's getting some real work ethic out of these players. Other teams commentators have noticed this time and time again, and they know the Canucks are always fighting right to the end and in games - they rarely get blown out like most bad teams. Credit WD for that.

Now you add in some top-end skill like Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Boeser and hopefully a high 1st overall pick and you've got a pretty good recipe going. We just need that skill and it's coming.

I agree the work ethic is there every night, but I credit the players for that, not WD.  This team has had the benefit of good players (even better people) to carry this team.  The Sedins, Hansen, and even Burrows are goood human beings and leaders. I believe WD's greatest strength is he is a good person, the players like him and play for him.  They are winning plain and simply because of Ryan Miller.

As a "coach" I don't see WD as one who has the tools to be a good NHL coach.  I see him stuck in his ways and unable to adapt on too many nights.  He looks stressed out and over matched.  He is too loyal to some players and too impatient with others.  Seems if they do exactly as he says and he deems them "safe" he plays them.  Or in the case of players like Megna, Vey, Biega,Skille and the ilk he almost feels sorry for them cause they are bubble players and he can relate to them.  Watching Biega last night knowing who is available proved that to me.  Why can't Pedan or Subban or Grenier or McEneny get an opportunity, this season is over.  

I like WD and I think the players do too, how can you not he is a great guy.  But I have seen enough, in my opinion, that he is too set in his ways and is unwilling to adapt or take chances.  Great AHL coach, mentor and teacher. Above his pay grade in the NHL.  Like a lot of players they can't keep up with the pace of the game or skill at this level.  They get overwhelmed and resort to what they know not what the game demands. 

6 hours ago, hearditall said:

Cool, A real fan that sees it like it REALLY is.., Wow. 

Right, because here in Vancouver there are 2 classes of fans - real and pretend. 

Protip - agree with hearditall and you are real. Disagree and you are a fake pretend fan only on the team forum to troll the real fans

I'm open for trading Willie for Green, Willie can teach the boys in Utica.

but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night.

I wish I could agree with that, but almost every game they seem to give up going into the third, and in several games they only showed up in the first period.

Overall I like the job Willie Desjardins has done. The team plays hard for him, they play with discipline, and they have all bought in (with the odd exception Kassian for example).

On the whole, young players have progressed under Willie. Bo, Bear, Granlund, Tryamkin, Stretcher, Gaunce, and Hutton for example. Virtanen and Mccann were too young to be in the NHL last year. Kassian was too troubled, Kenins too unremarkable.

Coaches are always under fire when a team is losing more than they are winning. Doesn't make them bad coaches. Remember when a lot of people including the owner Francesco, wanted Vigneault's head during a certain 10 game losing streak? There were constant criticism on these boards about Vigneault's coaching in the 7 years he was here. More criticism than praise, that's for sure. A couple of successful seasons preceding a 7th game Stanley Cup appearance, then a largely successful stint with the Rangers, and now, hockey people (Ferraro) consider him one of the top 5 coaches in the NHL. Maybe he wasn't that bad of a coach all along?

The Canucks are transitioning into Benning's/Linden's team. This will be the second finish in a row out of the playoffs for this management after a brief playoff appearance in their first season. This team's transition is going to take a little longer than some others because of a lack of core players in the tweener age bracket (approximately 20-27) when they took over. I blame the poor drafting of the previous decade and a half. This team has struggled and will continue to struggle in the near future because of this. The blame for this poor showing should not be put squarely on this management or coach.

I give Willie a grade of 7 and Linden/Benning an 8.

Honestly, maybe a 3 at best.

His line combos are whack, his ice time allocation for certain players (one way or the other) is ridiculous, and he doesn't have the faintest clue how to line match.

That all said, we have seen some of our prospects take some good steps forward.  Whether that's on Willie or not is a question, but he didn't seem to hinder all of them too much.

9 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Honestly, maybe a 3 at best.

His line combos are whack, his ice time allocation for certain players (one way or the other) is ridiculous, and he doesn't have the faintest clue how to line match.

That all said, we have seen some of our prospects take some good steps forward.  Whether that's on Willie or not is a question, but he didn't seem to hinder all of them too much.

I thought Stetcher spoke well off Willies coaching style - Am I allowed to write that on this lynchmob thread?

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know a lot of people don't agree with his benching of kids and line combinations (which I certainly don't), but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night. The systems might not be great, but he's getting some real work ethic out of these players. Other teams commentators have noticed this time and time again, and they know the Canucks are always fighting right to the end and in games - they rarely get blown out like most bad teams. Credit WD for that.

Now you add in some top-end skill like Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Boeser and hopefully a high 1st overall pick and you've got a pretty good recipe going. We just need that skill and it's coming.

I disagree that he gets them to work 100% every game. Maybe for the first half or last half depending on the score but a true 60 minute effort has eluded this team for two years now.

His stubbornness is a huge cause for concern. How many times does he have to see that going into a defensive shell with a lead doesn't work? His coaching decisions in game and his over reliance on players like the Sedins and Megna show a striking inability to adjust.

17 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I'm open for trading Willie for Green, Willie can teach the boys in Utica.

I wish I could agree with that, but almost every game they seem to give up going into the third, and in several games they only showed up in the first period.

Quote us the facts on these games and I'll be happy to oblige with similar stats from other teams.

I don't think any of us here doubt that Willie is a good teacher, the young players we have has developed well, but Willie has a game to run each night and that has nothing to do with teaching.  Teaching and running strategies in a game aren't quite the same, and a teacher would usually want the kids to go out and gain some experience- in high school I took rec leadership courses and was sent out to get involved in some activities in the community around town.

You can teach me how to cook, but can't teach me how to respond to mistakes unless I actually do them.

Archived