The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Womens USA Hockey won't play in World Championships due to stalled negotiations

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie  30m30 minutes ago

U.S. women's hockey team puts @usahockey on notice:

Hilary Knight‏Verified account @Hilary_Knight

US WNT will not play in 2017 World Championship due to stalled negotiations over fair wages and support from USA Hockey

C69uAX7XAAAtMGg.jpg

More here

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/03/15/usa-women-hockey-boycott-world-championship/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=6880491&utm_source=TW %40NHLonNBCSports&utm_tags=srm[hockey]

“The women seek a contract with USA Hockey that includes appropriate compensation,” the release said. “Nearly all of the players’ compensation outside of the Olympic period comes from the U.S. Olympic Committee, and for that, the players are thankful. In the past, USA Hockey has provided the players with only $1,000 per month during the six-month Olympic residency period. During the remainder of the four-year period, USA Hockey pays virtually nothing, despite its expectation that in each of the non-Olympic years, the players train full time and compete throughout the year, including in the World Championships. Approximately half of the players on the Women’s National Team hold second or third jobs, and many others rely on financial support from family members.”

3 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

because they don't bring in as much as the men's team by a long shot. People don't watch, that means less money. It's a business

the women's final pulled in 5 million viewers (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/02/olympics-tv-ratings-move-to-nbc-boosts-womens-hockey-final/)

yah, they deserve the same money the men get from the national programs. We're not talking about NHL salaries, these are people with jobs.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

the women's final pulled in 5 million viewers (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/02/olympics-tv-ratings-move-to-nbc-boosts-womens-hockey-final/)

yah, they deserve the same money the men get from the national programs. We're not talking about NHL salaries, these are people with jobs.

I guess I was wrong that people don't watch but still the men pull in a much larger amount of people. This is the same with Soccer, Basketball, etc. I understand that they should be getting paid more than they already are. However, I think that there is a reason for the gap. 

3 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

I guess I was wrong that people don't watch but still the men pull in a much larger amount of people. This is the same with Soccer, Basketball, etc. I understand that they should be getting paid more than they already are. However, I think that there is a reason for the gap. 

yah but its a really bad gap! basically nothing really, 6k per year? its kind of an insult. women's soccer actually makes way more in Canada, and they still get paid less.

the system should be a real, equal base living wage for both men and womens teams, and then some sort of percentage based on viewership after that. That's fair. In Canada e.g., womens soccer players would make more than the men, and they should if they bring in the ratings.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

yah but its a really bad gap! basically nothing really, 6k per year? its kind of an insult. women's soccer actually makes way more in Canada, and they still get paid less.

the system should be a real base living wage for both, then some sort of percentage based on viewership after that. That's fair. In Canada e.g., womens soccer players would make more than the men, and they should if they bring in the ratings.

I agree with you when it comes to the Canadian Women's soccer team. However, in this one instance with the US team, I believe that there is a reason for a gap. I do agree that the gap should be closer, 6k is an insult. But if the team is looking for equal pay they could be out for a while

10 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

I agree with you when it comes to the Canadian Women's soccer team. However, in this one instance with the US team, I believe that there is a reason for a gap. I do agree that the gap should be closer, 6k is an insult. But if the team is looking for equal pay they could be out for a while

Well considering women still don't make equal wages yet in any industry I think they know that.

Unfortunately the article didn't state how much the guys get, it would be interesting to know the actual numbers.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well considering women still don't make equal wages yet in any industry I think they know that.

Unfortunately the article didn't state how much the guys get, it would be interesting to know the actual numbers.

I don't want to start a big political argument... But, I think it should be known that the "wage gap" in industry has been debunked many times. 

there's also a bunch of articles about it as well 

18 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

I don't want to start a big political argument... But, I think it should be known that the "wage gap" in industry has been debunked many times. 

there's also a bunch of articles about it as well 

Its not "political". Women need to take time off to, you know, re-populate the planet. It effects what jobs and experience they get, and the end up with lower wages. Its fixable, if we have the will to do it.

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

why shouldn't they get paid the same for representing your country in a sport?

Agree.  they should get well compensated for representing their country.  3 grand a month min 

7 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its not "political". Women need to take time off to, you know, re-populate the planet. It effects what jobs and experience they get, and the end up with lower wages. Its fixable, if we have the will to do it.

Why should someone get paid the same amount of money each year for working on average 32 hrs a week, as someone who works on average 39 hrs a week?

1 hour ago, Dral said:

Why should someone get paid the same amount of money each year for working on average 32 hrs a week, as someone who works on average 39 hrs a week?

Depends on why they are working 32 vs 39. 

Good luck ever getting the same amount of support that the men's programs get lol.

The kids playing on the national teams in the men's U16 or U18 or U21 teams all potentially have a shot at the NHL someday, the women don't.

50 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Good luck ever getting the same amount of support that the men's programs get lol.

The kids playing on the national teams in the men's U16 or U18 or U21 teams all potentially have a shot at the NHL someday, the women don't.

We're not talking about making the nhl. 

5 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

We're not talking about making the nhl. 

Thanks tips.

The point is there's a reason the men's national programs get more funding/support for developing players, those players are potential future NHLers. Women aren't.

Archived