The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Wild

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, BoDangles53 said:

wow that's what 6 trolls i've got to block now? Lol 

nice clip thanks, notice mom being a mom wiping his face lol - like he's still in peewee!

obviously, based on your user name,  you like BO, so why so negative, looking forward to the future?

1 minute ago, BoDangles53 said:

finished trolling guy? don't worry im blocking your nonsense now

So you're not trying to add humour?  Well, anyway, I took this as being funny - in a good way.  

"you're wrong sorry!

oopsie im right! too bad!

you're wrong! oops"

3 hours ago, billabong said:

Bachman has looked stellar. Markstrom/Bachman tandem? For next year You say? 

Yes.  Probably not contending for the Cup next year, so even if Marky lets us down it probably doesnt mean anything.  Team tank probably would like it.  Marky is capable.  Follow through on the plan and see if he can be the man.  If not no really harm done.  Demko is coming.  

Miller is great, but he can legitimately ask for $4-5 million and will look for 2 year deal.  Spend that elsewhere. Bachman's deal is up this year and he is making NHL minimum.  Give him a two year deal, I think he likes the organization and if Dmeko is ready in second year he won't mind coming to Utica for the second year if he has guaranteed money.   

4 minutes ago, BoDangles53 said:

wow that's what 6 trolls i've got to block now? Lol 

nice clip thanks, notice mom being a mom wiping his face lol - like he's still in peewee!

Wiping her lipstick off his cheek I think...

Vintage you're making me cry a lot today ;)  

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

obviously, based on your user name,  you like BO, so why so negative, looking forward to the future?

Im the furthest thing from negative for the future, i love the group JB is putting together and defend them all (even Virtanen). I know hockey, played it at a very high level and see some really idiotic comments on here (ie about WD etc). 

Not sure why you think I'm negative on the future, in fact I have been on here defending WD to the angst of these trolls and haters, because he has done an amazing job properly bringing along our next core - so much so, we look to have  great future - but those haters can't handle it because they hate WD so much -apparently all these players are developing in spite of their coaching?

Laughable and a very ignorant view of what coaching means and the impact it has on player development

Wow lots of down votes on the WD criticism. My question is are you guys blind, can you not see and agree with the terrible deployment decisions he makes on a nightly basis?

Now I can't deny that the group has a great never give up and extremely good work ethic this season, but who's to say that is credit to Willie?? That could literally be any number of things (Youth movement, Bo, management changes, the recent unloading of vets.. to list a few).

If someone could list something that without a doubt is credit to Willie coaching this team I would be surprised.

He has shown time and time again he doesn't know how to deploy stars and up until recently has given way too many chances and ice time to underpreforming players (Vey, Meg, etc ).... Including the twins.

Stop defending him just because we have been playing hard recently, or because it's popular to defend him.

Also arguably some would say he ruined virt.

29 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Can't agree.

Surprised by how many on CDC want Tanev traded. I realize, in swapping #8 for a forward, we'd get the most bang for our buck, but Tanev is by far our best defensive D, and we're not exactly air-tight in our own end. He's also only 26 or 27, and has a lot of good years left. We have depth on D now, thanks to Benning, but we also need 1st pairing Ds. Juolevi might become that, but, as a D, that possibility probably won't be realized for some years. And Edler's best days are in the rear-view mirror.

As for exposing Edler, sure he's declined, but he'd still fetch a second-rounder, perhaps more, at, say, the trade deadline next year. He'd have to waive, I know, so there're still hurdles to overcome. But a much better option than keeping low-ceiling Sbisa, who's been absolutely brutal for us 2nd half as his ice time has gone up. 

He's a valuable player for this team. If we could get a guy like Reinhart for him, I'd do. I bet you would too. 

2 minutes ago, TheJoker said:

Wow lots of down votes on the WD criticism. My question is are you guys blind, can you not see and agree with the terrible deployment decisions he makes on a nightly basis?

Now I can't deny that the group has a great never give up and extremely good work ethic this season, but who's to say that is credit to Willie?? That could literally be any number of things (Youth movement, Bo, management changes, the recent unloading of vets.. to list a few).

If someone could list something that without a doubt is credit to Willie coaching this team I would be surprised.

He has shown time and time again he doesn't know how to deploy stars and up until recently has given way too many chances and ice time to underpreforming players (Vey, Meg, etc ).... Including the twins.

Stop defending him just because we have been playing hard recently, or because it's popular to defend him.

ignorance is bliss

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't Willie say (last September interview) his job as an NHL coach is not to develop players, but to win games?  

"The NHL isn’t a development league, and to try to develop at this level is tough."

whole article is here: https://canucksarmy.com/2016/05/17/willie-desjardins-talks-development-struggles-from-last-year/

I remember something like that Alf.

I think that Willie has a system and the purpose of it is really to win games. Players develop well as a by-product of that system.  The key to developing and managing players in general is to be consistent in how you treat people.  What frustrates me no end when the media and other people start saying that you have to just give the kids ice time and live with their mistakes while they learn how to play.  It's chicken and egg right?  Well, no.  People can agree that despite Willie's shortcomings, he has his players working hard and never giving up.  If you can learn to play the way he wants you to, only then will you get ice time.

1 minute ago, BoDangles53 said:

Im the furthest thing from negative for the future, i love the group JB is putting together and defend them all (even Virtanen). I know hockey, played it at a very high level and see some really idiotic comments on here (ie about WD etc). 

Not sure why you think I'm negative on the future, in fact I have been on here defending WD to the angst of these trolls and haters, because he has done an amazing job properly bringing along our next core - so much so, we look to have  great future - but those haters can't handle it because they hate WD so much -apparently all these players are developing in spite of their coaching?

Laughable and a very ignorant view of what coaching means and the impact it has on player development

No problems here, I am also a WD supporter. I thinks he has done well with the team he has. At this point, playoffs beyond hope, he has been playing the young core and I like what I see. I have been a die hard fan since 1970s and I have never seen so many prospects with potential as I have seen since JB has been at the helm.

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I remember something like that Alf.

I think that Willie has a system and the purpose of it is really to win games. Players develop well as a by-product of that system.  The key to developing and managing players in general is to be consistent in how you treat people.  What frustrates me no end when the media and other people start saying that you have to just give the kids ice time and live with their mistakes while they learn how to play.  It's chicken and egg right?  Well, no.  People can agree that despite Willie's shortcomings, he has his players working hard and never giving up.  If you can learn to play the way he wants you to, only then will you get ice time.

Its not just the system this is the part people who've never played a real sport at a high level dont get - not saying that was on you but its a common misconception here obviously

Practice is for systems, team work, pp/pk, zone entries, defensive positioning and yes if you get it wrong coaches yell at you etc but its about the team at practice. And your effort and ability to take in that information, run the drills properly, be in position, work your tail off then lead to coaches giving you ice, and if you don't screw up more ice

BUT that's not where the coaching willie does or his staff occurs on the PLAYER DEVELOPMENT side

On the development side, these coaches spend hours up on hours watching film, then sit one on one with players pointing out errors, strengths, what they need to work on etc. That is where coaching and development occur - in the film room

People have no clue here, seriously

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

But it has always been predictable. What I am saying is just because something is predictable doesn't necessarily mean it can't be effective if it has an end product. I am not saying it is as good as it was but the Sedins are a lot older now. However if we had a guy who could actually "hit the target" the numbers would be quite different.

I have never said WD was perfect, however what I see him criticised for is hardly unusual if you watch a lot of teams. Go look at some of the other teams who have poor PP % for example. We are in a massive transition and JB has virtually rebuilt the team in record time (2 seasons actually) with scant resources being present on his arrival. We have no real replacements yet for the Sedins OR Edler, to say otherwise is ridiculous imo. 

People need to concentrate more on what WD is doing right and a lot less time watching for every LITTLE thing he does wrong IN THEIR OPINION. That is why I defend him. He has done a remarkable job in the circumstances and for people who know something about the game that is reason enough to defend him. 

I see intelligence and insight in all of your opinions and appreciate this thorough and well thought out response. 

Having said that I would argue that many people who understand the game have also shared my growing opinion that the coach has been late to realise at times when change has been needed and part of that is because he, as a coach, is a "players coach" and is at times loyal to a fault while also, simultaneously being reticent to give others a chance. 

I understand that a lot of his decisions this season are due to the fact his job could possibly be on the line and the safer options such as playing defensively sound Chaput whilst limiting offensively capable Boucher is more likely to limit scoring chances against and more helpful in MAYBE grinding out a win. 

But youth must be served eventually and we are seeing it now mostly due to injury. So I'm glad for the infusion of youth and talent over limited ceiling yet safer players. Just feel Willie D was a little late to the dance in this regard as well as in changing a stagnant powerplay.

Sorry I riled you up a couple posts ago as I believe you to be one of the more insightful posters around these parts  and I truly believe Willie should be given a chance next season. I am very excited to see what he can do with all these young players when he is not mandated by the higher ups to make the playoffs at all costs. Next season could be a very interesting and entertaining one! 

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're comparing Willie D to Babcock?  Plus, you're not arguing with me; you're arguing with Willie D.  Read the interview.  It's clear Willie D is NOT here to develop players.  He's here to win games.  If the mandate changes from management to develop the youth, then (maybe?) Willie could develop the youth.  

I'd suggest he is here to do both Alf. But primarily he, like every other coach in NHL history without exception, is here to try to win every single game. 

That's what big league coaching is. Developmental coaching is generally reserved for, well, developmental leagues like the AHL, CHL, NCAA etc.

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No problems here, I am also a WD supporter. I thinks he has done well with the team he has. At this point, playoffs beyond hope, he has been playing the young core and I like what I see. I have been a die hard fan since 1970s and I have never seen so many prospects with potential as I have seen since JB has been at the helm.

same - and oddly none of them seem to be 'busting' - well concerns over virtanen are fair, seems to be more a maturity issue which is correcting itself in utica

can't say many coaches can take players like baer who was 1/2 way to europe the way he was playing, granny who everyone said who and screamed who we gave up for him, stech, try, hutton, sbisa etc and turn them into what he has in such a short period and still not get any credit from fans

we're we supposed to fire AV a couple of years in too? 

4 hours ago, nucklehead said:

I wouldn't count on it. it's a mean nothing game with no pressure and young guns with something to prove. I see it as an anomaly.

What the f... is wrong with you and these negative $&!#e comments...

WE just won a game, our newest prospect scored the GWG... what did you expect? Get a life or get laid... you surely need something to cheer you up.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So you're not trying to add humour?  Well, anyway, I took this as being funny - in a good way.  

"you're wrong sorry!

oopsie im right! too bad!

you're wrong! oops"

Hope he blocks me too. Guy can't be disagreed with. Gets all worked up and resorts to personal insults.

37 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning has prepared us for this possibility.  I don't know if he is aware that most fans think that drafting a centreman with his first pick is a slam dunk.  Is that why he's made those comments?

What's harder to find, a Norris quality offensive d-man or a stud #1 centre?  We saw an interesting swap last year of Johansson for Jones.  Nashville had always taken defense first and never had the firepower up front to get to the top level.  Poile's comments about never having the opportunity to draft a top centre were intesting.  Davidson in Columbus I think wants to build from the D on out.

So, come the draft, I guess it depends on who is available when the Canucks pick.

Nashville has been good at developing Ds but they pick BPA in the 1st.  They were actually expecting to pick Barkov but he went 2nd and Jones somehow was available and despite needing a C they picked him because he was BPA.  

They go BPA because it's so hard to predict if players will develop into NHLers so they aim for the best chance to get a player regardless of position.  It then allows to trade for need re the Jones-Johansen trade.  

Archived