The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

After listening to Linden and Benning I think they will hire Green. It makes sense for where the club is at right now. If green turns into a solid NHL coach then he will be here for the long hall.

They refuse to say rebuild but it is clear that they are in this rebuild for the long hall. No big high priced UFA's but will look for supporting players. Sounds like the Toronto model.

I can't blame them after how the Eriksson signing turned out. That was a woopsie for sure.

Linden and Benning both said that experience is not a requirement.  Benning talked of how there are more and more young coaches making the jump to the NHL.

That's probably why they are keeping Doug Jarvis - he brings the experience to help out a less established NHL coach.

Just now, mll said:

Linden and Benning both said that experience is not a requirement.  Benning talked of how there are more and more young coaches making the jump to the NHL.

That's probably why they are keeping Doug Jarvis - he brings the experience to help out a less established NHL coach.

Which screams Travis Green as new head coach (after the AHL season is done) IMO.

Just now, rypien=hero said:

I wonder if they would consider promoting Jarvis to head coach and bring in Green as an assistant to start out?  He could be mentored by Jarvis for maybe just a season.  Im not sure that going right into another rookie head coach is the best idea

They said they would like to keep him as assistant but it would be the decision of the new coach - Jarvis is clearly not a consideration for head coach.

1 minute ago, rypien=hero said:

I wonder if they would consider promoting Jarvis to head coach and bring in Green as an assistant to start out?  He could be mentored by Jarvis for maybe just a season.  Im not sure that going right into another rookie head coach is the best idea

Green has already said he would not leave a head coaching job in the AHL for an assistant/associate coaching position in the NHL. Right or wrong, unless his stance on that has changed significantly, I don't see that happening.

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

After listening to Linden and Benning I think they will hire Green. It makes sense for where the club is at right now. If green turns into a solid NHL coach then he will be here for the long hall.

They refuse to say rebuild but it is clear that they are in this rebuild for the long hall. No big high priced UFA's but will look for supporting players. Sounds like the Toronto model.

Like a Parrenteau for a year?  Instead of going for Skille - take someone with a bit more of a scoring touch.

41 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Battle for the Bench!

@BananaMash and @Green Building

Showdown for head coach. We'll sit down, have a burger and a beer, we'll talk systems and deployment, and from there CDC will vote one of us in as head coach. 

This sounds like a lovely evening.

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Like a Parrenteau for a year?  Instead of going for Skille - take someone with a bit more of a scoring touch.

Sign someone that could be moved at the deadline. A bit of a reclamation project. Trade a veteran D and sign a UFA to fill the hole. Then move said D man at the deadline.

Next years draft is said to be deeper. Accumulate as many picks as possible.

I'd say it'll be Green most likely. He was looked at last year by several clubs and he is good at what he does. Works well with young players, gets things done with little, seems to be a pro. I've only seen a few Utica games but he didn't seem to make poor line choices or put out the wrong lines at the wrong time or just get out coached in a noticable way. For me, that was the main issue I had with WD. He got out coached and made odd choices that gave the advantage to the other team. I haven't seen enough of Green but if even as a rookie NHL coach he doesn't make those same mistakes consistently then I'm down with trying him. You can be great with young players but if you are constantly out done by the other team's coach you shouldn't be a coach.

What CDC should also keep in mind is an experienced coach also has to be lured here. We had WD for three years and fired him, Torts was what a single season? We haven't been kind to coaches. We also don't have the best team with the best players. We have some young guys and some prospects but this team is going to be down for the next little while so you have to find a coach who'd want in on that. It won't be an easy sell.

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

@mll @appleboy Gentleman please. I'm all for discussing free agents and the draft, but there are other subforums/threads for that. This thread is for discussing who the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks should be. Thanks! ;)

It is all part of an on going discussion about the future the team. To bounce back and forth between different forums is silly.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It is all part of an on going discussion about the future the team. To bounce back and forth between different forums is silly.

You're right. Let's no longer have any different threads or subforums.

We will just have one massive thread that we can wade through for all information lol ::D

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

We will just have one massive thread that we can wade through for all information lol ::D

We all get side track from time to time and I will try to keep things organized for you.

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Will there be a search button or is that going the way of the dodo?

3 hours ago, Davathor said:

Hitchcock 

enough rookies in management. 

every game will be let's fall asleep now while we play 60 minutes of D.   Originally I gave you a negative vote but then decided you didn't deserve one because everyone has their own opinion.    You might not like Crawford and that is who I want!!!

Archived