The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I'd be okay with Gallant, Green, or some other coach who is known for handling youth very well.

I do not want Crawford. I don't feel like he would work with our team. The Crow is the coach for a team that's ready to win. Our team isn't, at least not yet.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready to win now (and I would think that many of the players are too).  We fell off drastically at the end but let's not forget that we were in contention for a playoff spot only a couple of months ago.  We aren't that far away.  I don't want another babysitter, I want a real NHL coach who can produce some real NHL wins.  I think that Crawford would do just fine.  GCG!

1 hour ago, IBacon Strips said:

I really like Green as a coach, but I have a hard time seeing the brass appoint a 2nd straight rookie coach given the pressure on them to get the ship steered in the right direction. Whichever coach we get is going to have to be okay with playing a young roster, doing with a lot of mistakes, and most likely finishing with another top ten pick. As much as the experience of Ruff and Hitch might be useful, I don't see them wanting to come here so I picked Crow. Crow knows the team, knows the president, knows the city, knows how to coach young guys, and badly wants to be a head coach in the NHL again. 

Crow also benches young players way more than Willie and the sh#t show that will happen on here will be hilarious. 

Just now, nux_win said:

I don't know about you, but I'm ready to win now (and I would think that many of the players are too).  We fell off drastically at the end but let's not forget that we were in contention for a playoff spot only a couple of months ago.  We aren't that far away.  I don't want another babysitter, I want a real NHL coach who can produce some real NHL wins.  I think that Crawford would do just fine.  GCG!

I personally feel that the twins won't improve next year and I don't see our d-core of Edler and Tanev improving much either. I believe that some people underestimate how dependent on them our success is. We have guys like Horvat and Baerstchi who are starting to take the reins, but it will take a few years before the team is fully ready to be great I think. Our d-core also lacks any top 2 players outside of Tanev and perhaps Edler. Unless we get surprising improvements from Hutton, Stecher, or Tryamkin, I see a lack of leadership from the defense in the coming years. We might get lucky and have several of these guys improve quickly, but based on the average length of a rebuild, I'd say it'll be 2 or 3 more years before we really see success. As far as I know, rebuilds tend to take 5-7 years most of the time. Ours started when we traded Bieksa and Kesler, so we've got a few years left to go.

I'd like to see Travis Green as the head Coach.  I think they should bring Hitchcock in for some sort of managing role.  I would like to see him working with Linden.  I think having someone with Hitch's experience could be a big benefit to our management team.   

Second choice for coach would be Kevin Dineen. 

Well, wont be Javis from what Benning said. 

Said they want to keep him on , and think he is good in an ASSISTANT role. Said when they hire a coach , they will have to check to make sure the head coach wants to keep Jarvis as an assistant. 

That pretty much ends that possibility. 

1 minute ago, stuman491 said:

I'd like to see Travis Green as the head Coach.  I think they should bring Hitchcock in for some sort of managing role.  I would like to see him working with Linden.  I think having someone with Hitch's experience could be a big benefit to our management team.   

Second choice for coach would be Kevin Dineen. 

What is with all the Green crap? Do you even know how he coaches? If you think Willie is a defence trap coach then you're gonna hate Travis Green, he loves to play the trap and does not even coach any offence at all. Who has he even developed as a young player in his term with Utica? No one.  

We need an offence type of coach that likes to instil confidence in our young players and knows how to develop them, that would be Marc Crawford. Look what he did with Mathews. Crow is the man for the job.

28 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Why do people here, and more important the fools @1040, keep bringing Hitchcock up as a candidate?  It's been well documented this was his last year coaching. 

Even if he wasn't retiring he would be a god awful choice considering the state this team is in.

But I liek him

I like Gallant He worked well with the youth in Florida and is a good tactician.

One positive with Green is in remembering how well AV worked with the young guys that essentially came with him from the Moose, guys like Burrows, Bieksa and Kesler. Maybe guys like Virtanen, Subban and Demko would do well do eventually graduate to the NHL with their coach who already is familiar with them.

Speaking of AV......he may become available if the Rangers bow out early in the playoffs. That's not too much of a long shot, it could be wise to consider adding him the the potential candidates. 

12 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Yeah... we are that far away bud. How many legit top 6 forwards do we have? 3? One when the Sedins retire? Plus Miller likely signing with a better team.... I think you should prepare yourself for another couple seasons of stinking up the league. Many people on here think every rookie is going to turn gold for us and run the show next year, but we'll be lucky if half become legit for us, the other half will likely be AHL bound.

Mark my words, we're a bottom 5 team next season.

9 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I personally feel that the twins won't improve next year and I don't see our d-core of Edler and Tanev improving much either. I believe that some people underestimate how dependent on them our success is. We have guys like Horvat and Baerstchi who are starting to take the reins, but it will take a few years before the team is fully ready to be great I think. Our d-core also lacks any top 2 players outside of Tanev and perhaps Edler. Unless we get surprising improvements from Hutton, Stecher, or Tryamkin, I see a lack of leadership from the defense in the coming years. We might get lucky and have several of these guys improve quickly, but based on the average length of a rebuild, I'd say it'll be 2 or 3 more years before we really see success. As far as I know, rebuilds tend to take 5-7 years most of the time. Ours started when we traded Bieksa and Kesler, so we've got a few years left to go.

There is no mathematical formula for success.  Of course the Sedins aren't getting better, that's rather obvious.  That's true of all sports teams, the aging vets don't necessarily get better but other players have to step up to fill their production.  There are always ways to justify losing, pessimism always feels comfortable because there is little risk.  Optimism takes more courage because one can always fail to live up to it.  So what?  I think we Canucks fans, and players and management, need to collectively suck it up, drop the pessimism, and go all in to win NOW!  (OK, next season but you get my point, I hope)  GCG!

Just now, Rocksterh8 said:

What is with all the Green crap? Do you even know how he coaches? If you think Willie is a defence trap coach then you're gonna hate Travis Green, he loves to play the trap and does not even coach any offence at all. Who has he even developed as a young player in his term with Utica? No one.  

We need an offence type of coach that likes to instil confidence in our young players and knows how to develop them, that would be Marc Crawford. Look what he did with Mathews. Crow is the man for the job.

I think Marc Crawford is a great guy, but an average coach.  The teams he won with in Colorado were exceptional teams.  Your right I haven't watched much of the Comets, so I don't know a ton about Green.  He is familiar with our organisation, has had some success in Utica with little talent.  The Canucks are not going to be good for a while, so why not hire a coach who's job has been to develop players for our organisation.  Sign him for 2 years.  See how he does and reassess what is good for the team moving forward.

47 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

There's a good one I forgot. Added.

Source?

This is from three years ago but there hasn't been much chatter since because this situation pretty much cemented Steven's job in LA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/john-stevens-not-given-interview-permission-by-kings--heir-to-darryl-sutter-200147938.html

Just now, MikeyBoy44 said:

This is from three years ago but there hasn't been much chatter since because this situation pretty much cemented Steven's job in LA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/john-stevens-not-given-interview-permission-by-kings--heir-to-darryl-sutter-200147938.html

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

Yeah... we are that far away bud. How many legit top 6 forwards do we have? 3? One when the Sedins retire? Plus Miller likely signing with a better team.... I think you should prepare yourself for another couple seasons of stinking up the league. Many people on here think every rookie is going to turn gold for us and run the show next year, but we'll be lucky if half become legit for us, the other half will likely be AHL bound.

Mark my words, we're a bottom 5 team next season.

Even if that is true, it is still pessimism.  Pessimism is psychologically easy because there is no risk to one's ego.  Optimism requires courage.  There is little courage on this forum.  Of course people will fall back on this reason or that reason why we are bad and will continue to be bad for a long time but that is all just noise from fragile egos (and parroting the negative media who so desperately need to sell ad space).  If we can't think that we can win, we never will.   Attitudes matter in sports.  Getting it right between the ears is necessary before we get it right on the ice.  I'm glad you're not a player, coach, or management (if any of them said "Mark my words, we're a bottom 5 team next season" how well do you think that would go over?).  

We will never win anything if we don't think we can.  That applies to hockey and just about everything else.

GCG!

20 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, wont be Javis from what Benning said. 

Said they want to keep him on , and think he is good in an ASSISTANT role. Said when they hire a coach , they will have to check to make sure the head coach wants to keep Jarvis as an assistant. 

That pretty much ends that possibility. 

that pretty much ends many possibilities.

Only in Vancouver does the head coach have to fit the assistant.

Archived