The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - MTL

With the recent acquisition of Drouin to the Habs, as well as the rift between Galchenyuk & mgmt./coaching.

MTL now looking to add defense to be more competitive for Price, etc.

Also we know in the past GMJB had discussions with GMMB about Subban.

VAN needing a centre to take future weight off of Bo, how about a deal around Tanev for Galchenyuk.

Then it allows VAN to get their center & him being only 1 year older than Bo fits with the youth of the team.

Also it allows us to trade/expose Sutter & draft another top D-prospect with our 5th pick.

Fwiw someone asked Ferraro on twitter - his answer:  NO.

Montreal needs a LD with speed to play with Weber because Markov-Weber is too slow and for now Markov is not even signed.  Emelin-Weber is not a 1st pairing.  Beaulieu is on the trade block.

Per Julien and Bergevin - Galchenyuk is not ready to play C for now.  Julien says right now it hurts him and the team to have him at C.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Hutton for Chucky is actually very fair.  Similar ages too.  

Hutton, 55th for Chucky. MTL won't get a better offer, and we still can pick a C at the draft, or see what we have with him next year in a full time C role and pick Makar if he's still around. 

59 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Hutton, 55th for Chucky. MTL won't get a better offer, and we still can pick a C at the draft, or see what we have with him next year in a full time C role and pick Makar if he's still around. 

Okay, say we do that. Which fwd do you expose..Baer?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Even exposing .Baer, the Knights still (most likely) take Sbisa.  Baer is really only a place holder here anyway, isn't he?

It's not humongous-big in terms of implications. But assuming GM's have to calculate all variables at play.

edit: forgot to add..wanted this Mtl deal in concert with the Tanev one(to big D).

Protect Sbisa. Give McEneny/Pedan more of a shot for depth 7/8 slot.

57 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Okay, say we do that. Which fwd do you expose..Baer?

has to be. And thats actually OK, the choice between him and Sbisa or Gaunce is a bit harder for Vegas and the F upgrade is a big step. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Even exposing .Baer, the Knights still (most likely) take Sbisa.  Baer is really only a place holder here anyway, isn't he?

I like Baer a lot but on most other teams he's a 3rd line guy at best, so if "Chucky" was somehow traded here its a big upgrade. I also wonder how different he would be from Sam Reinhart, they both seem to be in a similar-ish spot, not quite ready at C and playing wing a lot. But as others have said MTL needs L-side D more than right so we'd end up losing Hutton and Sbisa unless Jim made a deal with Vegas to take Bear instead and maybe a 5th rounder. 

31 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I like Baer a lot but on most other teams he's a 3rd line guy at best, so if "Chucky" was somehow traded here its a big upgrade. I also wonder how different he would be from Sam Reinhart, they both seem to be in a similar-ish spot, not quite ready at C and playing wing a lot. But as others have said MTL needs L-side D more than right so we'd end up losing Hutton and Sbisa unless Jim made a deal with Vegas to take Bear instead and maybe a 5th rounder. 

Interesting comparison. I like Rhino. Expansion-ineligible(I think?). Local boy, & a righty.

Likely slightly more costly, I'd venture?

Three way Deal between Van/Mtl/Col-makes sense for all teams' needs. Likely have to throw some picks in there to offset age/contract difs

Tanev to Colorado - common sense they need dmen -solves part of their black hole on the back end

Duchesne to Mtl - Win now, close to 60pt player on a weak team, has offensive skill and can play a 1c role and will likely see closer to 70pts with a better team in MTL, we all know he has superb skills that are stifled somewhat by his lack of support as he's not a one one one player like McKinnon

Galchenyuk to Van - solves our future 1c problem (and we have both of his junior wingers already so there is existing chemistry - Goldobin and Boucher)

Harder to manage a 3 way deal but this deal makes so much sense to me as each team gets a void filled - a good hockey trade for all imho

Done before Draft so we can Protect Sbisa

Then draft a dman at #5 Heskeinin or Makar, whichever is available

1 hour ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Three way Deal between Van/Mtl/Col-makes sense for all teams' needs. Likely have to throw some picks in there to offset age/contract difs

Tanev to Colorado - common sense they need dmen -solves part of their black hole on the back end

Duchesne to Mtl - Win now, close to 60pt player on a weak team, has offensive skill and can play a 1c role and will likely see closer to 70pts with a better team in MTL, we all know he has superb skills that are stifled somewhat by his lack of support as he's not a one one one player like McKinnon

Galchenyuk to Van - solves our future 1c problem (and we have both of his junior wingers already so there is existing chemistry - Goldobin and Boucher)

Harder to manage a 3 way deal but this deal makes so much sense to me as each team gets a void filled - a good hockey trade for all imho

Done before Draft so we can Protect Sbisa

Then draft a dman at #5 Heskeinin or Makar, whichever is available

Pretty nice..Mtl should send a bit of cap to Colorado..Emelin maybe(1 yr left)?

11 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I like Baer a lot but on most other teams he's a 3rd line guy at best

How on earth do you figure this?

1) He's young and getting noticeably better.  He should probably expand on his ppg totals by some 5-10% next season.
2) Even given last year's stats, he was a .51 ppg player.  Expand that to 82 full games and that's just over 42 points.  That is absolutely NOT 3rd line material for even a high-scoring team like the Penguins.  In fact, average 2nd line winger scoring is less than 34 points.  With 42 points, that puts him in elite 2nd line scoring company, and closing in on low-end 1st line scoring.

Don't get me wrong - I would never suggest he's a 1st line player at this point nor am I convinced he ever will be, but the stats don't lie as far as his capability on the 2nd line.

As far as the trade proposal goes, I think the value is about right.  Only thing that worries me about Galchenyuk is his inconsistency, and poor faceoff ability.  

Archived