The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

7 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Still a really good second round pick, he has great physical tools and is huge. Gonna need some TLC but i think he will be a Top 4 D man. 

Isles had a great draft, even if they lose Tavares for nada, the pieces to rebuild are already being accumulated.  

The mess the Lou has taken over is nowhere near as bad as the one JB walked into 4 years ago. 

The loss of Tavares is going to

be huge.  No other way to look at it. Way worse than trading Kesler to the ducks. It will be hard to entice players to the org for a while until Lou rights the ship. 

6 hours ago, Hafizzle said:

Blind homerism.  I find most of CDC is sensible but there's one poster on these forums that's consistently out to lunch.  

One ?..........one ??????...........ONE ???????

Your quiet polite post is a breath of fresh air, but the Negative Ninjas, tough guys and Troll wanabees are ubiquitous ! ( they can be fun, but not often ).

One has to decide with just about every post whether it's an emotional or logical response. In short it's a fans' site. Opinions are all over the map. Use the 'ignore' button wisely and CDC becomes a fun place to visit !

13 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It's funny how much things change after the draft and we see where players go.

Dobson went from the best skater among the top 5 defenseman to having question marks.

Bouchard went from a perfect powerplay defenseman and very good offensive defenseman (Edmonton's greatest need) to someone who won't help Edmonton's offense. 

Hughes went from a dynamic offensive defenseman who'll get abused by bigger players defensively with questionable character after skipping the combine to untouchable on the ice and a potential leader in the future. 

It's almost like people only hear what they want to hear and only believe what they want to believe. All of this was discussed at length before the draft and then there was a paradigm shift after Friday. 

Alf =/= CDC. 

There's a reason I have him on ignore. Now if people would just stop quoting him...

6 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Do you ever wonder if consensus on an arm chair hockey forum is incorrect? You seem to be basing everything on the fact CDC agreed on what players were. There’s a reason no one here is getting paid for their analysis. It’s fun to discuss hockey and everyone does have some knowledge, but it’s just as much possible that CDC missed the reality on the consensus beforehand and then after the draft coalesced on the proper analysis. There’s a reason Benning could hardly contain himself when he got to choose Hughes and his eye in the draft has put us in the best depth we’ve had in probably decades. Benning > CDC.

Thank god JB doesn’t use the CDC for consensus about management decisions.

14 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

do we know if next years draft is as deep as this years, past the other Hughes kid?

Not yet, but this one deepened as the season went on and guys had great seasons that improved their stock greatly (Dobson moved up ten spots on the board, Bouchard close to that too) so you never know. Svecknikov was number one at the start of the year too.  

9 hours ago, TGokou said:

Dobson was my guy but I had Hughes right behind. Time will tell who will be the better defenseman but I hope both can succeed to do well in this league.

The difference between the top 4 d men not named Dahlin are overblown. These guys all

have excellent skills and promise. What makes me happy is that Montreal and Zona went off the board, giving us what we truly needed. For JB to have the choice of whomever he wanted not named Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina. We essentially moved from number 7 in the draft to number 4 without having to give up any assets.  

I a not singling out Ott.  They needed Tkachuk and we needed Hughes. If we were in the 4 spot I beleive JB would have taken Hughes over Tkachuk. 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Isles had a great draft, even if they lose Tavares for nada, the pieces to rebuild are already being accumulated.  

The mess the Lou has taken over is nowhere near as bad as the one JB walked into 4 years ago. 

The loss of Tavares is going to

be huge.  No other way to look at it. Way worse than trading Kesler to the ducks. It will be hard to entice players to the org for a while until Lou rights the ship. 

They one the draft for sure, selecting two guys that were supposed to go top ten around where we picked with 11,12 is no small thing.  MTL and ARI sure shook things up.

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The difference between the top 4 d men not named Dahlin are overblown. These guys all

have excellent skills and promise. What makes me happy is that Montreal and Zona went off the board, giving us what we truly needed. For JB to have the choice of whomever he wanted not named Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina. We essentially moved from number 7 in the draft to number 4 without having to give up any assets.  

That's debatable, different lists had Hughes going 7-10 too, not 4.  I'm stoked we got him, I liked Bouchard and know he's polarizing but like Hughes he does some things at an elite level, unlike Dobson who was a safe pick without as much upside.  So he's my second favourite defenseman that was available and even better will be a joy to watch. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's debatable, different lists had Hughes going 7-10 too, not 4.  I'm stoked we got him, I liked Bouchard and know he's polarizing but like Hughes he does some things at an elite level, unlike Dobson who was a safe pick without as much upside.  So he's my second favourite defenseman that was available and even better will be a joy to watch. 

I was an avid supporter of Bouchard and he will be very effective breaking out 

McDavid with the stretch pass for years to come.  

With Hughes and Pettersson the Canucks will have a entirely different dynamic and many teams will be for off guard when they hit the NHL. 

The book on the nucks has to be thrown out.  The Twins style never changed, now Green has an opportunity to create the dynamic skating attacking team that he wants. 

With this draft, I thought we would be left with the guys passed over from 4-6 and that was not the case. Add in Woo, already a fan favourite and you can see that he will be a positive influence in the dressing room. The guy has skills and would have gone much higher had he not been injured. 

I wanted Bode Wilde, but was unaware of off ice issues.  Big red flag especially in a fish bowl like Vancouver. 

With Samualson going to Buffalo Woo is a great fit in Vancouver.  If Trymakin returns, we won’t need Samuelson anyways. 

24 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

On 2018-06-24 at 8:16 AM, IBatch said:

This is exactly what the scouts say so I believe we should temper our expectations.  He's Beiga 2.0 with more upside, third pairing guy.

On 2018-06-24 at 8:47 AM, aGENT said:

Woo definitely has far more upside than 3rd pairing or Biega +. Probably a lot closer to Bieksa in his projection. Good, physical 2nd pair D with complimentary offense.

All in all great draft by the Canucks.  I know this is going to upset everyone but I thought the Humbolt tribute wasn't needed, that whole award presentation was kind of awkward .  Why not do that at the awards last week?  Everyone knew Bettman was going to get boo'ed, it just made the whole thing cringe worthy.  I digress, glad the Canucks got Hughes but as stated they have better make sure they got the right Dman as they had the pick of the litter sans Dahlin. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

The experts were also shocked when we took Pettersson...

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

One interesting thing Benning has said in his most recent sportsnet interview, they had both Hayton and Kotkaniemi also in their top 7. Which means their list was something like this:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Hughes
Zadina
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Hayton

I've heard JB say, in the last couple weeks, many times, that "D and Centers" are more valuable assets than wingers, and are "much harder" to get.  He said you almost have to draft and develop your own.  I agree with your list.  It's obvious, but the reactions on JB's and Brackett's faces, how surprised and happy they were to have Hughes fall to them.

I was not at all surprised Zadina fell. He's a winger, and Tkachuk and Svechnikov are better.

Hughes was by far the Dman after Dhalin, with the highest ceiling.  And Boqvist was the next highest ceiling.  

11 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Do you ever wonder if consensus on an arm chair hockey forum is incorrect? You seem to be basing everything on the fact CDC agreed on what players were. There’s a reason no one here is getting paid for their analysis. It’s fun to discuss hockey and everyone does have some knowledge, but it’s just as much possible that CDC missed the reality on the consensus beforehand and then after the draft coalesced on the proper analysis. There’s a reason Benning could hardly contain himself when he got to choose Hughes and his eye in the draft has put us in the best depth we’ve had in probably decades. Benning > CDC.

You misunderstood my post. 

I don't expect anyone on CDC, including myself, to be accurate in these types of things. We're just doing this passively with little information compared to the professionals. If someone had a list that looked exactly like the way it shook out on Friday, props to them (it wasn't me).

What I'm talking about is the way people instantly change their opinions after seeing where players go. It took some people 1 day to come around on Hughes and all of a sudden see his talent level after campaigning for Bouchard/Dobson/whoever for 2 months prior. I'm probably taking it a little bit more personally than I should because I was a very vocal supporter Hughes all year and now there are so many people jumping on the wagon after 1 weekend. I'm not saying you shouldn't support the Canucks' pick, but some consistency would be nice. 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Alf =/= CDC. 

There's a reason I have him on ignore. Now if people would just stop quoting him...

I think Alf actually called the situation the Canucks would be in exactly, but yeah.

I was actually talking about literally anyone else because I have Alf on ignore too. 

Archived