The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Individual Top 10 Canuck prospect Rankings

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Man the Virtanen doom & gloom sucks.  I think he is going to be exactly what the team needs, fast, hard hitting scorer.  He;s in my top 3 

I hope so! Petterson could be exactly the kind of Center he needs and could nicely complement him back as well.

1. Pettersson

2. Boeser

3. Juolevi

4. Demko

5. Dahlen 

6. Goldobin

7. Virtanen

8. Gaudette

9. Lind

10. Gadjovic

Hm. Subban, brisbois, Lockwood, dipietro. 

Loving how deep our prospect pool is these days. Benning has done an excellent job in restocking the prospect cupboard.  In only a matter of a couple years. Can't understand the hate he gets around these boards. I think he's done an amazing job in turning around the mess he inherited and getting us in the right direction. Just need that powerplay qb next year. 

1. Elias Pettersson - Nicklas Backstrom lite

2. Thatcher Demko - Corey Schneider lite

3. Nikolay Goldobin - Nikita Kucherov lite

4. Brock Boeser - Kyle Okpso lite

5. Olli Juolevi - Marc Edouard Vlasic lite

6. Johnathan Dahlen - Viktor Arvidsson lite

7. Jake Virtanen - Dustin Brown lite

8. Adam Gaudette - Alex Killorn lite

9. Kole Lind - Jannik Hansen lite

10. DiPietro/ Garteig - Both are good goaltenders. Garteig gets constantly overlooked but is quite solid. Sure he will make the NHL as a backup at least. DiPietro has a higher upside but it's good to have depth in that position. 

1 hour ago, PassittoBoeser said:

1. Demko (he's really proving he can play at the pro level and this year should prove if he's NHL ready). Skill and impact at position wise I see him as a game breaker

2. Boeser (has much to prove but just have to see more of him at the NHL level before I would put him before Demko)

3. Goldobin

4. Juolevi (Have to see him at the next level but is elite in my books)

5. Petterson

6. Dahlen

7. Virtanen

8. Brisbois

9. Gaudette

10.  Lind

You would rather have Demko, Boeser, Goldobin, or Juolevi than a 5th overall pick in the draft. Hard to believe.

Especially Goldobin, no way anyone would trade the 5th pick in any draft for him. 

So I see Virtanen being listed at about number 7 on most lists.  Those posters that see him there could be right, but I bet if you asked people from various other boards to list the top 10 prospects for the Canucks, almost none of them would have Jake in the top ten.  He is widely used as an example of a big, fast player who is a bust because of low hockey IQ in posts not about Jake. Next year should make it clear who is right, and yes it is too early to call him a bust.

But I have to say that at this point in time I would rather hang on to prospects such as Gaudette, Lind and Gadjovich over Virtanen.  How about you?  Would you currently keep Jake over any of those three if your hand was forced?

45 minutes ago, Grape said:

You would rather have Demko, Boeser, Goldobin, or Juolevi than a 5th overall pick in the draft. Hard to believe.

Especially Goldobin, no way anyone would trade the 5th pick in any draft for him. 

what are you talking about?

I think it should be clear that players who have shown they are at least NHL capable are worth more than a player who has to gain 25 lbs and show he can even put up ppg numbers in the AHL as Goldobin has.

Where someone is drafted means nothing, the point is where they are "NOW" - so as far as rating our prospects at THIS moment in time, yes Goldobin has more value, since we have no clue yet (as good as he looks and I wanted him chosen), where Petterson tops out.

If you ask me the same question in 3 years when all of these guys have hopefully elevated to the NHL it can easily change.

1. Boeser

2. Pettersson

3. Demko

4. Dahlen

5. Juolevi

6. Goldobin

7. Gaudette 

8. Lind

9. Lockwood

10. Subban 

Seeing a lot of Gadjovic on here. I'd be cautious. He's not the first guy who uses his imposing size in front of the net to score goals against kids in a junior league.

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

So much undervaluing of elite defenceman  (OJ) in this thread already.   Nashville's recent run should've opened people's minds to the value of elite D.

I don't think anyone's undervaluing him. I don't think he's proven to be an elite defensemen whatsoever.

15 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I don't think anyone's undervaluing him. I don't think he's proven to be an elite defensemen whatsoever.

This.

While I don't doubt Juolevi will be a very good player (I'd say a top 4 Dman is pretty much a lock for him), to be an "elite" Dman, you pretty much have to be on another level and bring a boatload of intangibles to the table, as well as play a very proactive game. I like Juolevi, but I get the feeling that he's the type of player that will end up flying under the radar, being solid defensively and quietly picking up points.

22 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

I think it should be clear that players who have shown they are at least NHL capable are worth more than a player who has to gain 25 lbs and show he can even put up ppg numbers in the AHL as Goldobin has.

Where someone is drafted means nothing, the point is where they are "NOW" - so as far as rating our prospects at THIS moment in time, yes Goldobin has more value, since we have no clue yet (as good as he looks and I wanted him chosen), where Petterson tops out.

If you ask me the same question in 3 years when all of these guys have hopefully elevated to the NHL it can easily change.

Jake could turn it around next year, but his current trajectory does not suggest he is likely to do so.  That's what I am talking about.  And if you think I am the only hockey fan on Hockey's future  league wide boards that would at this moment take a prospect like Lind or Gaudette over Jake, you would be wrong,  In fact, many would make the same choice as I would. This is my opinion. You are free to yours.  This is my last post on this topic.

5 minutes ago, droid56 said:

Jake could turn it around next year, but his current trajectory does not suggest he is likely to do so.  That's what I am talking about.  And if you think I am the only hockey fan on Hockey's future  league wide boards that would at this moment take a prospect like Lind or Gaudette over Jake, you would be wrong,  In fact, many would make the same choice as I would. This is my opinion. You are free to yours.  This is my last post on this topic.

that's awesome i don't care and you're not right and i'm not right, we know who's right for for 4-5 years so go find yourself a valium ok?

"this is my last post on this topic" grrr, dude you responded to my post lmao...i wasn't even talking to you. You get all huffy because you don't like my rankings, I explain them, then you get huffy?????

Bigger things in life than someone's opinion on our prospect rankings guy

39 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Generally people rank prospects by their potential. Not by how good they are at THIS moment in time. By your logic might as well rank Alex Grenier our #1 prospect. 

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Generally people rank prospects by their potential. Not by how good they are at THIS moment in time. By your logic might as well rank Alex Grenier our #1 prospect. 

Laughable and overly simplistic, comment but enjoy your life

Not sure how you can rate a prospect who's never stepped on the ice with NHL'ers as better than one that has and scored some pretty nice goals, etc..

But ok, whatever floats your boat guy, go argue with your sea monkeys if you need to 'get it out'

Just now, PassittoBoeser said:

Laughable and overly simplistic, comment but enjoy your life 

Once again, none of the 31 teams would trade the 5th overall pick in the this year draft for Goldobin, I would literally bet millions of dollars on this. No one. Why? Because Goldobin has lower value. Having Goldobin ahead I would argue is laughable. 

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Once again, none of the 31 teams would trade the 5th overall pick in the this year draft for Goldobin, I would literally bet millions of dollars on this. No one. Why? Because Goldobin has lower value. Having Goldobin ahead I would argue is laughable. 

cool, you done?

Archived