The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

Excited to see how the Comets look like next season. Need to re-sign both Archie and Grenier. If not, at least one of the two. They're consistent scorers and bring everything they got on the ice every shift. They play their hearts out every time and it will be interesting to see if Utica re-signs. Grenier has been phenomenal but I doubt if he'll be brought back. Got a couple games with the Canucks and he was basically a non factor. I'd sign him to a AHL contract just to see if he can step up and become a solid NHLer. Worth the risk. Robak is also a nice worthy candidate to stick around. Showed some leadership qualities as he wore the A late on for Green and the Comets. Really rock solid defensively. Billins was good late as well but you can find guys like him easily in free agency. I really think Cassels, Carcone, Jake can take the next steps in their development and be key contributors to the team if they don't re-sign Archie, Grenier. Then you have some stellar netminding by Demko who stepped up big time when Bachman was called up after Marky' injury. Garteig can easily be Demko's backup in Utica if the Canucks don't re-sign Miller. Also the team needs a coach. I really think King will be the next head coach. No real candidates right now and no one has the desire to coach the Comets. Lots of prospects to look forward to as well. MacEwan, Zhukenov, Chatfield, potentially Holm, Dahlen, Goldy though they're probably NHL bound the way our roster and a few more. Either way, excited for next season to see what the Comets have in store!

• -AJ- pinned this topic

I know I posted this in last year's thread, but there were three games remaining at the time and I've added those in now. Here are the top 21 point scorers in Utica's All-Time history. I bolded the names of the players who were on the active roster at the end of last season, to the best of my knowledge (I had no way to be 100% certain).

CometsAlltimeStats.png.0f87f2b87cab5012181686abe70eae04.png

And here's an updated single-season records table. Archibald set some new records last year and Subban tied Sanguinetti's goal record, but Sanguinetti did it in less games, so I give the edge to him.

CometsAlltimeSingleSeasonRecords.png.19ff27d0c4092de72a3ac7eadccf8ff7.png

Boes

Virt

Dahlen

McEneny

Subban

Cederholm

Cassels

Brisebois

Labate

Carcone

Molino

Mckewan

McKenzie

Chatfield

Zhuk

all could be starting the year with Utica.......have they ever been able to make a claim on so many decent prospects?  They will need to find some guys to play C, however.

20 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I'd be stunned if they didn't re-sign LaBate, he deserves a long look in camp to see if he can hang on that fourth line. Even if he doesn't make it he should be the first call-up for a grinding role.

10 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

@stonecoldstevebernier  Nice job with the 2017-18 Comets thread.  Just need to get a mod to pin it for you. 

Thanks, UH! It appears someone's done that now which is good to see.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

[....]

all could be starting the year with Utica.......have they ever been able to make a claim on so many decent prospects?  They will need to find some guys to play C, however.

If even a third of those guys can pan out and play a meaningful amount of NHL games, that'd be great. I really like the forward depth we added this draft too. Most drafted prospects don't ever make an impact but you can stomach a few misses when you have the kind of deeper prospect pool we're developing. Very excited for next season.

36 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gonna be a tough one to replace if true. Archibald brings so many intangiles to the ice along with being a fan favourite and original Comet, it'll be sad to see him go.

I think Archie will get another chance at a two way NHL contract just not with Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

They will have good depth.

Megna, Chaput and Boucher could all end up down there too.

Utica fans should be excited for next year.

Megna, almost for sure.  I think Chaput and Bouch stay in Van though

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

They will have good depth.

Megna, Chaput and Boucher could all end up down there too.

Utica fans should be excited for next year.

To be honest if Benning is done from a Utica standpoint we were completely ignored today. When I followed the free agent signings on Twitter today I watched Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Montreal and Ottawa all with AHL teams in the Comets division all sign free agents specifically meant for the AHL.  Not a single Vancouver signing was for an AHL player.

Sure I understand the extra NHL depth that was signed will potentially push a couple guys down to Utica but unless some quality AHL guys are signed to either NHL or AHL contracts this team is going to be weak again.

Archived