The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign Emerson Etem

On 2017-07-06 at 5:24 AM, samurai said:

in this league there are always second chances.  Good for him.    Etem is at the stage where it is now or never.   He defo has the tools for a bottom guy but he's got to realize what that means.   

Hodgson

Jensen

Etem

Kassian

Grenier

Schroeder 

Gaunce 

What a disaster 

lol

Hodgson / Kassian are one asset dealt for each other - the same / one 'disaster'.

Jensen and Etem likewise - and btw referring to a 29th overall pick that is a borderline NHLer as a 'disaster' is very dramatic.

Grenier - LOL - was a 90th overall pick - 2nd last pick of the 3rd round.....what a BUST.

Schroeder is another late 1st in a mediocre draft with handfuls of first round misses.

Gaunce - silly and premature to write a guy off after a season as a 22yr old.

You obvioulsy have very unrealistic expectations.  Still have guys like Hutton and Rodin out of those 'disaster' years of drafting late - so all is not lost.

Best of luck to Etem - talented young player that could still put a good NHL career together.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

lol

Hodgson / Kassian are one asset dealt for each other - the same / one 'disaster'.

Jensen and Etem likewise - and btw referring to a 29th overall pick that is a borderline NHLer as a 'disaster' is very dramatic.

Grenier - LOL - was a 90th overall pick - 2nd last pick of the 3rd round.....what a BUST.

Schroeder is another late 1st in a mediocre draft with handfuls of first round misses.

Gaunce - silly and premature to write a guy off after a season as a 22yr old.

You obvioulsy have very unrealistic expectations.  Still have guys like Hutton and Rodin out of those 'disaster' years of drafting late - so all is not lost.

Best of luck to Etem - talented young player that could still put a good NHL career together.

'Unrealistic expectations' - are you aware that we rank as one of the worst drafting teams if not the worst team prior to Benning.  

Sorry, disagree about the one disaster 1+1=2.  

2 hours ago, samurai said:

'Unrealistic expectations' - are you aware that we rank as one of the worst drafting teams if not the worst team prior to Benning.  

Sorry, disagree about the one disaster 1+1=2.  

I'd say the disasters were more in the form of car accidents that took that life of one of the best D prospects the franchise ever drafted - and seriously stunted the career of another promising D.

But you also have to factor in how poor the drafts you are referring to were in general - and what the success rates of late picks are - and when you do, you realize it wasn't such a 'disaster', they just didn't overcome any poor odds (with a few exceptions).  And Gaunce is no disaster - you're being prematurely dramatic - nor is Grenier - he was never anything but a longshot.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd say the disasters were more in the form of car accidents that took that life of one of the best D prospects the franchise ever drafted - and seriously stunted the career of another promising D.

But you also have to factor in how poor the drafts you are referring to were in general - and what the success rates of late picks are - and when you do, you realize it wasn't such a 'disaster', they just didn't overcome any poor odds (with a few exceptions).  And Gaunce is no disaster - you're being prematurely dramatic - nor is Grenier - he was never anything but a longshot.

Just take a look at the 11 draft and all the good players that came after Jensen at 29. Also look at players Tampa, Jackets, Ducks picked up later.   Good try but I don't think what you say makes much sense.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2011-nhl-re-draft-gaudreau-jumps-to-no-1/c-280996940

10 minutes ago, samurai said:

Just take a look at the 11 draft and all the good players that came after Jensen at 29. Also look at players Tampa, Jackets, Ducks picked up later.  

This is utter nonsense. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html

The first round hit at about 50% and about 30% outside the top 10

The 2nd round hit around 20%.

The third round hit horribly at around 5%.

That is the round you identified Grenier as a "disaster" lol.

Ermagerd, there were 1 or 2 good players in each round thereafter.  What a winfall of a draft.  Johnny Hockey!!

Wadr,, I don't think you have much perspective on this matter.

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I was pretty surprised during a playoff interview with Chris Letang that he spoke of Luc Bourdon for some time. He siad that Luc had the potential of being a top 3 d-man in the entire NHL. They grew up together and played hockey together. 

16 hours ago, samurai said:

Just take a look at the 11 draft and all the good players that came after Jensen at 29. Also look at players Tampa, Jackets, Ducks picked up later.   Good try but I don't think what you say makes much sense.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2011-nhl-re-draft-gaudreau-jumps-to-no-1/c-280996940

Looking at your draft, there are a LOT of later round picks out-performing the first round. That's kind of evidence that it was a bad year dude.

If you're going to use evidence, maybe make sure it's evidence that actually like... supports your argument and not goes against it. lol

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Looking at your draft, there are a LOT of later round picks out-performing the first round. That's kind of evidence that it was a bad year dude.

If you're going to use evidence, maybe make sure it's evidence that actually like... supports your argument and not goes against it. lol

'But you also have to factor in how poor the drafts you are referring to were in general - and what the success rates of late picks are - and when you do, you realize it wasn't such a 'disaster', they just didn't overcome any poor odds (with a few exceptions)'

This is what you said not me.  My point is that in each draft there are a lot of good players that do make it to the show.  You suggest wrongly that our poor drafting is the result  of poor draft pools - this is simply just not the case.    Grandlund and Pedan are in the year 2011 as well.  

We could have drafted them instead of Jensen and also taken guys like these who are very very good players from that draft that went later.

Johnny Hockey

Gibson

Palat

Shaw

Kucherov

Trocheck

Ritchie

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

'But you also have to factor in how poor the drafts you are referring to were in general - and what the success rates of late picks are - and when you do, you realize it wasn't such a 'disaster', they just didn't overcome any poor odds (with a few exceptions)'

This is what you said not me.  My point is that in each draft there are a lot of good players that do make it to the show.  You suggest wrongly that our poor drafting is the result  of poor draft pools - this is simply just not the case.    Grandlund and Pedan are in the year 2011 as well.  

We could have drafted them instead of Jensen and also taken guys like these who are very very good players from that draft that went later.

Johnny Hockey

Gibson

Palat

Shaw

Kucherov

Trocheck

Ritchie

Check who you're talking with. oldnews said that, not me. I simply said that your evidence isn't really evidence that helps you out. It actually goes against your argument.

But, to answer what you said anyway, you can have "woulda coulda shoulda picked blahblahblah" every draft, and every team is going to have that. This is all based on hindsight in the end, which doesn't help much in my opinion as no one has a crystal ball and wouldn't have known this stuff back then.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Check who you're talking with. oldnews said that, not me. I simply said that your evidence isn't really evidence.

not evidence that there were good players available after Jensen and in that draft as a whole?  Hmm

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

This is utter nonsense. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html

The first round hit at about 50% and about 30% outside the top 10

The 2nd round hit around 20%.

The third round hit horribly at around 5%.

That is the round you identified Grenier as a "disaster" lol.

Ermagerd, there were 1 or 2 good players in each round thereafter.  What a winfall of a draft.  Johnny Hockey!!

Wadr,, I don't think you have much perspective on this matter.

How can it be nonsense because the players listed in that draft have NHL careers - our Grandlund as well. 

On 2017-07-06 at 0:16 AM, oldnews said:

A guy loses a year to injury and you'd think they were a complete write off.

Good enough for Anaheim to claim - and good enough to get a contract after missing an entire season.

Apparently not as bad as some of you think.

i dunno

when one player bounces around to that many organizations in a shorter time period

and cannot seem to stick

there is clearly something missing ... he is displaying deficiencies on the ice or off it

just not good enough it appears

and to think his upside appeared so good that canucks could not get him as part of the kesler trade

22 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i dunno

when one player bounces around to that many organizations in a shorter time period

and cannot seem to stick

there is clearly something missing ... he is displaying deficiencies on the ice or off it

just not good enough it appears

and to think his upside appeared so good that canucks could not get him as part of the kesler trade

that's an assumption.  what makes you think the Canucks wanted him in that deal?  The other pieces they got were pretty solid value regardless.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that's an assumption.  what makes you think the Canucks wanted him in that deal?  The other pieces they got were pretty solid value regardless.

well it is more repeating rumour than an assumption

but they obviously were interested in him and got him later

that made the rumour seem a bit more credible

i did not intend to otherwise comment on that trade

but i think given the unique and trying circumstances imposed by kesler

the canucks did ok

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

well it is more repeating rumour than an assumption

but they obviously were interested in him and got him later

that made the rumour seem a bit more credible

i did not intend to otherwise comment on that trade

but i think given the unique and trying circumstances imposed by kesler

the canucks did ok

dealing Jensen for him doesn't necessarily mean they wanted or couldn't get him in the Kesler deal.

who knows - they may have preferred the 1st round pick instead - or Sbisa - (and certainly Bonino).

I like Etem's game - I don't really know anything about his struggles of the past year - and I don't necessarily judge a player based on having been traded twice (Anaheim claimed him back after all and got a pretty goodreturn for him in the first instance - Hagelin).

He can put the puck in the net, very good skater with good size, solid two way forward - not sure if he fades away for who knows what reasons but if he does make a solid comeback he wouldn't be the first guy to not get his footing in the NHL until age 25 or later.

Archived