The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rally in Front of Calgary City Hall Turns Violent

nucklehead

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Isn't Calgary the Texas of Canada?  Or have I had the wrong impression of it all of these years?

Having lived there for 15 of my years, you're not far off.

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not sure i would ever want to live in Calgary. 

Edmonton seems like a much better city to me...

4 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

As an Edmontonian, you are definitely correct. 

Isn't Edmonton constantly the most violent city in Canada? 

9 hours ago, Violator said:

Northern Ontario gets pretty redneck.

And I was trying to be funny cause your a buffalo fan

Buffalo looks like they tried to give the city back to the lake but the lake didn't want it.

Most of upstate New York, and indeed the entire rust belt area including Michigan and Pennsylvania and Ohio are crumbling wrecks. Outside of major metro areas there is a crippling sense of poverty and a lack of pride. I have been to every province and territory save Nunavut and most if not all the northern states and it is a significantly different feel south of the border. If you are in the back country of the Canadian Shield or the Canadian Prairies and see on the map that up ahead is Moose Knuckle, Manitoba or some such you can kind of instinctively guess what will be there- A gas station, probably a Timmies, and some nice friendly people. Even if the town is poor or forgotten there will be a sense of pride and care. The houses may be small but will be generally clean and in decent repair like somebody lives there and has a pride of ownership.

... This is not the case in the northeastern states. I spend a lot of time in this area for work. Outside of the metropolitan areas (and usually inside them as well) little towns are broken with broken homes and broken windows; Peeling paint and busted cars. You can play a game called 'count the sofas missing half their cushions in the front yard'. There is a sense of a complete lack of pride for ownership. The roads and surprisingly terrible for a country that bills itself as the richest in the world. When you talk to them, stopping for gas or whatnot, they are often harsh and rude in a low level ingrained sort of way- like it has been bred into them. I realize a lot of this is varying cultural dimensions as they pertain to this aspect but it is jarring. It is as if they have taken their individualism and internalized it to the exclusion of all others outside of their immediate ingroup of kin. 

You don't see this down the pacific coast through Washington, Oregon or California, not to this extent. You don't see this in Arizona or Texas or even Florida (they have their own issues). It appears to be localized to the northeastern corner and it disappears immediately once you cross the border back into Canada. I honestly believe they built the stadium in Buffalo 2 minutes from the border so that the large GTA market would not have to go through the city of Buffalo just to watch games there.

The only places in Canada that have this same feeling of having given up that I have been to, and I have been to most cities and regions in Canada, is Hamilton and Windsor (though I have a small sample size for Windsor). While other cities might be poorer or in worse situations or have worse crime (many towns in Nova Scotia or Northern BC get ripped for this) it's not the same- I realize I am talking about something subjective but they don't have the same feel about them.

9 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

To be fair I've got family in BC, Ontario and Alberta and they all say Calgary is a bit redneck, so I can see where he's coming from with that stereotype even if it might not necessarily be true.

Both Calgary (and most of southern Alberta) and Saskatchewan have a little country feel to them... But while Saskatchewan emulates more of a kinder, politer country feel you would expect from the Dakotas through Oklahoma where it is a quaint, more comfortable agrarian feel of conservatism- southern Alberta has more of the Texas about them where they are rather a bit rowdier and louder about it. Don't get me wrong- they are all great people, it just the personality of the area.

Edmonton doesn't have this. Edmonton has a unique feeling all to itself.

12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Isn't Calgary the Texas of Canada?  Or have I had the wrong impression of it all of these years?

nope thats kind of accurate, at least for a slice of the community there that gets a lot of attention (oil, rodeo, etc). There's a lot more diversity there than appears on the surface though. 

12 hours ago, nucklehead said:

"The gathering was billed as In Defence of Christianity hosted by the group Canada For Jesus Christ, and was to feature controversial anti-LGBTQ and anti-abortion activist Bill Whattcott. "

they forgot to mention the pancake breakfast and free face painting hosted by the skinheads. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

"The gathering was billed as In Defence of Christianity hosted by the group Canada For Jesus Christ, and was to feature controversial anti-LGBTQ and anti-abortion activist Bill Whattcott. "

they forgot to mention the pancake breakfast and free face painting hosted by the skinheads. 

Let these people express their ideas, and hold their rallies.  I think it's better knowing who the likes of these people are, and their views, than have them squirrelled away somewhere plotting.  If people would just ignore them, there would be no problem.  

I'm as open in belief as one could be.... but while I do not agree with the message of those supporting their version of Christianity.... they should be free to express themselves without any fear of violence or retribution.

Those Antifa are as fascist as any Black/Brown-shirts they claim they are against.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Let these people express their ideas, and hold their rallies.  I think it's better knowing who the likes of these people are, and their views, than have them squirrelled away somewhere plotting.  If people would just ignore them, there would be no problem.  

I agree that people are free to express their ideas and hold rallies just like the protesters are free to come and protest these rallies.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I'm as open in belief as one could be.... but while I do not agree with the message of those supporting their version of Christianity.... they should be free to express themselves without any fear of violence or retribution.

Those Antifa are as fascist as any Black/Brown-shirts they claim they are against.  

The story doesn't state who started the violence. It could be either side, I find it funny that every time something like this happens the right immediately starts spinning the narrative of the "violent left". Both sides have their fair share of radicals, and it only takes one idiot to throw the first punch before all hell breaks lose.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I agree that people are free to express their ideas and hold rallies just like the protesters are free to come and protest these rallies.

The story doesn't state who started the violence. It could be either side, I find it funny that every time something like this happens the right immediately starts spinning the narrative of the "violent left". Both sides have their fair share of radicals, and it only takes one idiot to throw the first punch before all hell breaks lose.

It's true, it doesn't state who actually initiated the violence, but violence does seem to be the MO for almost every single Antifa counter protest.  Not saying those Christians can't be violent, but their intention is to address the government.... Antifa is specifically addressing the initial group.  

Just now, Lancaster said:

It's true, it doesn't state who actually initiated the violence, but violence does seem to be the MO for almost every single Antifa counter protest.  Not saying those Christians can't be violent, but their intention is to address the government.... Antifa is specifically addressing the initial group.  

This seems like right wing propaganda. 

Sure maybe these Christians fundamentalists intended to address the government but some of them are unstable, angry and violent individuals. It doesn't take much to push them over the edge and take their anger out on people who are trying to impede them from getting out their message.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

no one is trying to stop them. If they want to play at being little Nazi's or god's army have at 'er. But these guys are as "christian" as ISIL is "muslim", as in neither really are. 

But it is interesting, I bet you that if this had been an Imam holding the rally there would have been a Calgary cop or two there. 

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

This seems like right wing propaganda. 

Sure maybe these Christians fundamentalists intended to address the government but some of them are unstable, angry and violent individuals. It doesn't take much to push them over the edge and take their anger out on people who are trying to impede them from getting out their message.

Lots of details online of them being violent.  Just check out any of their forums.... they're very militant.  But I can agree that they could just be the very fringe... and squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Considering the Christian group is the one being actively targeted by self-righteous individuals wearing masks to conceal their identities.... if I had to put money on who initiate the initial act of violence, it'll be Antifa.... and I probably wouldn't be earning much either as the odds wouldn't be great. 

16 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Lots of details online of them being violent.  Just check out any of their forums.... they're very militant.  But I can agree that they could just be the very fringe... and squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Considering the Christian group is the one being actively targeted by self-righteous individuals wearing masks to conceal their identities.... if I had to put money on who initiate the initial act of violence, it'll be Antifa.... and I probably wouldn't be earning much either as the odds wouldn't be great. 

I am sure if I went to one of these Christian fundamentalist forums, I would find just as many violent individuals.

Painting groups with broad strokes is something the right enjoys doing which is why a group like "Black Lives Matter" gets referred to as "terrorists" because its easy to zero in on the few thugs in the group when you don't like the overall message. Do they ever focus on the peaceful protesters that are simply trying to stop innocent African Americans from getting murdered by racist cops? Nope. 

I watched the video posted on CBC. I see people on both sides being violent. I don't see anyone with masks. Where are you getting this?

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

I am sure if I went to a Neo-Nazi/skinhead forum, I would find just as many violent individuals.

Painting groups with broad strokes is something the right enjoys doing which is why a group like "Black Lives Matter" gets referred to as "terrorists" because its easy to zero in on the few thugs in the group when you don't like the overall message. Do they ever focus on the peaceful protesters that are simply trying to stop innocent African Americans from getting murdered by racist cops? Nope. 

I watched the video posted on CBC. I see people on both sides being violent. I don't see anyone with masks. Where are you getting this?

You're right, only a few people are wearing masks... yet aren't really engaged in the actual violence, lol.  

Sure... Neo-Nazi and Skinheads are scum... but when was the last time you ever see them in number out and about protesting and vandalizing?  I don't ever recall have any skinheads/nazi-wannabees protesting in Canada.  I mean actual Neo-Nazi... not "I don't like them.... they're as bad as nazi!" types.  

In one of the video.... some of the "Christian" folks got bear-sprayed.  That means at least 1 person went there with a weapon with the intention of using it.  

Archived