The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rise of far right in Europe

CBH1926

53 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I take you live or reside in Germany then?

Yup, born and raised. 

btw there is no NDP in Germany. You mean the NPD (National-Democratic Party of Germany). It's even more right-wing than the AfD and has frequently been subject of lawsuits because their programme is always on the verge of violating the constitution. So they were close to a party ban (not sure that's the right term?) a couple of times. But they never got over the 5% threshold to get into the Bundestag.

5 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Yup, born and raised. 

btw there is no NDP in Germany. You mean the NPD (National-Democratic Party of Germany). It's even more right-wing than the AfD and has frequently been subject of lawsuits because their programme is always on the verge of violating the constitution. So they were close to a party ban (not sure that's the right term?) a couple of times. But they never got over the 5% threshold to get into the Bundestag.

I have only visited Munchen   - LOVED It.

Next on my list is Berlin.... Hopefully soon.

35 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Yup, born and raised. 

Yes that is the party I speak of.  We've the National Democratic party here in canada but they are left/far left depending on which prvince or level you look at.

In your opinion is Merkel really in as much trouble as certain politically leaning outlets here in North America claim she is?

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes that is the party I speak of.  We've the National Democratic party here in canada but they are left/far left depending on which prvince or level you look at.

In your opinion is Merkel really in as much trouble as certain politically leaning outlets here in North America claim she is?

Simple answer: no.

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

NDP = New Democratic Party.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I have only visited Munchen   - LOVED It.

Next on my list is Berlin.... Hopefully soon.

Never been to Munich myself so far. Berlin is exciting for the first couple of times because of the history, but from an aesthetic standpoint there are better cities to visit than Berlin imho. Hamburg, Cologne and the wine areas along the rivers Rhine and Moselle are worth a visit as well.

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No. Latest polls from yesterday:

CDU 35%

SPD 22%

AfD 11%

Left 10%

FDP 9%

Green Party 8%

The only question will be what the government coalition will look like. The only real options are FDP (liberal) and SPD (social democrats). They CDU would rather have a coalition with the FDP, but it's questionable if CDU + FDP would reach the neccessary majority of seats. Most likely it will be another so called "Great Coalition" of CDU + SPD. 

That might play into the hands of the smaller parties because those parties are still very similar in their programmes and people are seeking more variety (whether left or right) in politics at the moment. You can see that in the polls if you compare them to the last election results from 2013:

CDU 41.4%

SPD 25.7 %

Left 8.6%

Green Party 8.4%

FDP 4.8%

AfD 4.7%

So I doubt Merkel will be in trouble. Maybe come next election, if there will be another "Great Coalition". But still, I doubt there will be enough voters "migrating" to right wing parties because of the history of our country. I think for the biggest part of German society this is still too big an issue to fall for right wing rhetoric and consequently vote for a right wing party. Interestingly, a large part of right wing voters are so-called "Russlanddeutsche". Ethnic Germans who migrated to Russia from the 16th century onwards and came back to Germany after the Soviet Union fell.

People realize that Merkel is running a center right party right? Even if she wins by a significant margin, this could still signal a significant shift to the right. If the main party is centre right and the rivals consist of far right parties, that makes for a fairly conservative parliament overall.

12 hours ago, Toews said:

Why not? By all means you are free to express your thoughts on this forum. Just like I think the fact that your are recommending a YouTube channel as a source to be completely absurd.

"Black Pigeon Speaks" 

I am sure he thinks he is edgy and he discusses a lot of material that the "MSM refuses to cover". Everything will likely have a healthy dose of anti-Semitic conspiracy peddling, Islamaphobia and sexism. Save yourself the time folks and don't give these scumbags anymore hits.

474.gif

Edited by Rounoush
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Toews said:

Better brace yourself mate. I have been told civil war is coming to Germany, AFD getting 5% of the vote is clearly an omen. 

Slowly but surely, AfD got 2 million votes back in 2013, the arrow is pointing up.

I am fairly certain that they might get close to 10% this time around.

Austrian painter didn't take over in 1938, it took many years for him to climb to the top.

8 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

Warhippy.

What is more concerning is he doesn't even know the name to his own party.:lol:

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Pretty hard to take you serious.:lol:

Edited by Ryan Strome

47 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Slowly but surely, AfD got 2 million votes back in 2013, the arrow is pointing up.

I am fairly certain that they might get close to 10% this time around.

Austrian painter didn't take over in 1938, it took many years for him to climb to the top.

Still a pittance compared to legion of morons that currently infest your own country. `

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

Still a pittance compared to legion of morons that currently infest your own country. `

I agree there are morons in my country, just like any other country.

What I wonder is why people that  live in Canada, are so obsessed with the morons in another country.

Germany thing is concerning, but since it doesn't involve Trump i know it doesn't have your attention.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I agree there are morons in my country, just like any other country.

What I wonder is why people that  live in Canada, are so obsessed with the morons in another country.

Germany thing is concerning, but since it doesn't involve Trump i know it doesn't have your attention.

Well he isn't actually Canadian so please don't use him as the example.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, taxi said:

People realize that Merkel is running a center right party right? Even if she wins by a significant margin, this could still signal a significant shift to the right. If the main party is centre right and the rivals consist of far right parties, that makes for a fairly conservative parliament overall.

But that has been the case for years and in recent years the CDU's programme shifted more and more towards the left. That's actually the criticism of the "Great Coalition". That CDU and SPD's programmes are too similar by now. Both parties could be considered center. And in comparison to the US Republicans for example, the CDU is way more left than them. In general, I think only the AfD might be comparable to US Republicans with their programme. So in the great scheme of things, I wouldn't say we have a fairly conservative parliament in comparison to the US right now. And we won't have after this election.

And, as I said. It's not just the right-wing parties which will get more votes this election. The left-wing voters will also increase. So I don't see this as the big shift to the right as some people try to make it out to be.