The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton terror attacks: Police officer stabbed, four people struck by U-Haul

Toews

5 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

That is one tough cop. Gets nailed by a car, stabbed repeatedly, but still fights off the garbage. Would have been nice to see a heroic bystander step in. 

Gets hit by car, goes flying 15 feet. Somehow still gets into an altercation with the terrorist who pulls out a knife. Survives with non life-threatening injuries. Pretty damn impressive.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Why would people turn against their own because of some lunatic? 

How do you know the dudes are Muslim? If they seem like "good dudes" then why would you suspect them of being "up to no good". I am a fairly reserved person as well, I would not be interested in talking to a complete stranger. I am not trying to insult you but I think you are coming across as way too paranoid. 

ON one hand

Muslims aren't a race so its not racist

On the other hand...they looked like muslims :P

1 hour ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

If it's true that they found and ISIS flag in the vehicle we know who to blame. These terrorists will continue to destroy the public confidence in a peaceful society and we will turn on each other. It will start with those who knee jerk to the fear battling with those heads in the sand who want to believe something else. Overtime they win. 

How to report suspicious activity with profiling? I see multiple guys in my neighbourhood who appear to be muslim, who seem like good dudes, but I can't help but wonder or think if they are up to no good. I talked with two of them to try to make acquaintances but they had no interest and shuffled off. Left me more uncomfortable than when I hadn't spoken to them. 

What makes you think that they were muslim? Genuinely curious 

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I don't see @nucklehead making any connections. I think he is just saying that we should not let fear mongering and hysteria blow this incident out of proportion. At least that is how I read it. 

Is there fear mongering and hysteria in Edmonton or in the report of this incident?

Sure hope this isn't someone who can be "profiled" into any of the labels that those who want to divide everyone can use for such further division.  Hoping it is a "Bob Smith" who is an accountant and works as a volunteer at the LBGT chapter of former Edmonton Oilers or something equally non-religious or similar.   I am also happy to see the term "terrorism" used as this was terror for those innocents involved for certain.   

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I do not know but that seemed like a pre-emptive reminder rather than an assumption.

Maybe.

id rather see a post that ealry on in the thread celebrating the bravery of the officer along with some well wishes before i see a "reminder" that more deaths resulted from law enforcement in the last 24 hours....really?  What an insensitive thing to say.  I'm no cop lover but I have respect.

sjw gotta sjw without any actual thought process....

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sure hope this isn't someone who can be "profiled" into any of the labels that those who want to divide everyone can use for such further division.  Hoping it is a "Bob Smith" who is an accountant and works as a volunteer at the LBGT chapter of former Edmonton Oilers or something equally non-religious or similar.   I am also happy to see the term "terrorism" used as this was terror for those innocents involved for certain.   

Will that make it easier for you to accept?

1 hour ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

While I agree, these lone wolves likely meet or are being fed information from somewhere else. More should be done. Where did he get the ISIS flag from would be a good start. Make them illegal to own punishable by 10 years in prison without parole. 

He probably got the flag on eBay. 

I understand the sentiment, but people like this guy that likely are self-radicalized (we have to wait to find out of course but for the sake of argument for right now lets assume that) just need to go online to find what they need for "inspiration".

I believe the best course is to continue outreach programs with Mosques and local community leaders to reach kids before they get to this point, not to create new laws, we have lots of those that are adequate to the task. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

We're in Canada sir.  We don't try to sugar coat things based on religion or ethnicity or how many guns a person owns like some countries do.

An act of terror is an act of terror.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I don't see @nucklehead making any connections. I think he is just saying that we should not let fear mongering and hysteria blow this incident out of proportion. At least that is how I read it. 

Side note:

what proportion would you like to keep this in?

a man, known to police, in two separate incidences tried to kill as many people as he could, including a police officer.

yeah.  Just chill people.  No need for alarm.

Just now, riffraff said:

Will that make it easier for you to accept?

No, not for me personally - I just don't like the way we (western society) have demonized so much of the world based upon the actions of an incredibly small percentage of loser zealots.   I just don't want to see more fuel on that fire as I don't think it does any of us any good to focus on that - "bad" people with no respect for the welfare of others exist in all forms of race, religion and geography but we (media driven?) have a fixation right now that borderlines on an obsession that doesn't need any more poster-boy examples.

For me personally, I struggle to accept that one human would kill another in such a random manner.  I don't need all the shades of political agendas to make it wrong to me.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He probably got the flag on eBay. 

I understand the sentiment, but people like this guy that likely are self-radicalized (we have to wait to find out of course but for the sake of argument for right now lets assume that) just need to go online to find what they need for "inspiration".

I believe the best course is to continue outreach programs with Mosques and local community leaders to reach kids before they get to this point, not to create new laws, we have lots of those that are adequate to the task. 

Why not both?

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We're in Canada sir.  We don't try to sugar coat things based on religion or ethnicity or how many guns a person owns.

An act of terror is an act of terror.

I wish it were that simple.   You seem intelligent but that is a naive statement in my books.   Our PM is sooooo sensitized to this entire religion issue that IF this ended up being able to be labeled, he would struggle with it one would think.    Given that he has come out so strongly makes me think he knows it is not relatable to the "M" word.

Just now, riffraff said:

Why not both?

only because new law always has to go through a period of challenges, sometimes up to the supreme court before they can be put into practice. So its a very slow way of dealing with the issue. But community outreach can happen right now, today. 

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Side note:

what proportion would you like to keep this in?

a man, known to police, in two separate incidences tried to kill as many people as he could, including a police officer.

yeah.  Just chill people.  No need for alarm.

In that context one has to understand this actually happens at least once every 4 or 5 months in canada without terrorist ties.  Once every other day in America

The premeditated attack on the officer obviously the one off but people going on the attack isn't entirely unusual sadly.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, not for me personally - I just don't like the way we (western society) have demonized so much of the world based upon the actions of an incredibly small percentage of loser zealots.   I just don't want to see more fuel on that fire as I don't think it does any of us any good to focus on that - "bad" people with no respect for the welfare of others exist in all forms of race, religion and geography but we (media driven?) have a fixation right now that borderlines on an obsession that doesn't need any more poster-boy examples.

For me personally, I struggle to accept that one human would kill another in such a random manner.  I don't need all the shades of political agendas to make it wrong to me.

Fair enough.

i just struggle less.

humans are inherently with evil as they are with good.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

only because new law always has to go through a period of challenges, sometimes up to the supreme court before they can be put into practice. So its a very slow way of dealing with the issue. But community outreach can happen right now, today. 

Agreed.  But I doubt the results we want would be instantaneous as well.....

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In that context one has to understand this actually happens at least once every 4 or 5 months in canada without terrorist ties.  Once every other day in America

The premeditated attack on the officer obviously the one off but people going on the attack isn't entirely unusual sadly.

Sure. I suppose it's debatable but I don't think we can fairly compare our country to to the US in this context.

and maybe I've been missing out on news but I don't here of this happening quarterly.....certainly going back past the last five years or so.

Archived