The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Mon-Edm, Mon-Van

@Nuxfanabroad mentioned in another thread of a Edmonton/Montreal trade.  Made me think the Canucks could actually be a good fit to help facilitate that trade.  The original suggestion I posted in the other thread, but the more I thought of it, the Canucks addition makes sense.  Thoughts?

To Edmonton:

Shea Weber

To Montreal:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Edmonton First Round Pick (2018 lottery protected in case they don't make playoffs.  2019 top 5 protected).

Why: Edmonton gets a veteran anchor defenseman who brings a great presence to their locker room, helps mentor the young defensemen and instantly makes them a better team.  He stabilizes their back-end and is a proven warrior.  Montreal gets a young talented centerman in RNH who still hasn't entered his prime.  He and Drouin can be a top two punch at center for a long time.  They also get a first round pick, which is always valuable to add for the future.  The pick might be high for Edmonton this year if they don't turn it around so they have protections. 

THEN...

To Montreal: 

Erik Gudbranson

Thomas Vanek

To Vancouver:

Alex Galchenyuk

Why: Alex Galchenyuk has long fallen out of favour in Montreal.  They part ways with him in return for a defenseman of a similar age who fills Weber's spot in the lineup (clearly no where near as good as Weber).  They also really struggle at scoring so Vanek gives them a short term option to help fix that, and an asset to trade at the deadline if they'd like.  For the Canucks they take a shot at a young talented winger who needs a chance to succeed.

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, underrated said:

@Nuxfanabroad mentioned in another thread of a Edmonton/Montreal trade.  Made me think the Canucks could actually be a good fit to help facilitate that trade.  The original suggestion I posted in the other thread, but the more I thought of it, the Canucks addition makes sense.  Thoughts?

To Edmonton:

Shea Weber

To Montreal:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Edmonton First Round Pick (2018 lottery protected in case they don't make playoffs.  2019 top 5 protected).

Why: Edmonton gets a veteran anchor defenseman who brings a great presence to their locker room, helps mentor the young defensemen and instantly makes them a better team.  He stabilizes their back-end and is a proven warrior.  Montreal gets a young talented centerman in RNH who still hasn't entered his prime.  He and Drouin can be a top two punch at center for a long time.  They also get a first round pick, which is always valuable to add for the future.  The pick might be high for Edmonton this year if they don't turn it around so they have protections. 

THEN...

To Montreal: 

Erik Gudbranson

Thomas Vanek

To Vancouver:

Alex Galchenyuk

Why: Alex Galchenyuk has long fallen out of favour in Montreal.  They part ways with him in return for a defenseman of a similar age who fills Weber's spot in the lineup (clearly no where near as good as Weber).  They also really struggle at scoring so Vanek gives them a short term option to help fix that, and an asset to trade at the deadline if they'd like.  For the Canucks they take a shot at a young talented winger who needs a chance to succeed.

Thoughts?

Montreal is most likely going to miss the playoffs. They're not moving a young. Cost controlled 30 goal scorer for 2 pe sing UFA's. One of whom already had an unsuccessful stint in Montreal. 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal is most likely going to miss the playoffs. They're not moving a young. Cost controlled 30 goal scorer for 2 pe sing UFA's. One of whom already had an unsuccessful stint in Montreal. 

Gudbranson is a RFA and RNH is signed for three more seasons after this.  And Galchenyuk does have one 30 goal year but he had 17 last year, 4 this year, and moves up and down the lineup.  He's completely fallen out of favour in MTL.  With this deal they get a young top centerman, a young big defenseman and a first rounder...plus a scoring forward they can flip at the deadline.

@qwijibo I agree it makes them weak on D.  Weber into Gudbranson is a big downgrade, but they also get a lot younger, get better up front, get a first round pick and sell on Weber before he starts his career decline.  They aren't competing this year so selling makes sense.  And if you look at all that Duchene got in return as a young #1 centerman, young top centerman are very hard to trade for and have very high value.

3 minutes ago, underrated said:

Gudbranson is a RFA and RNH is signed for three more seasons after this.  And Galchenyuk does have one 30 goal year but he had 17 last year, 4 this year, and moves up and down the lineup.  He's completely fallen out of favour in MTL.  With this deal they get a young top centerman, a young big defenseman and a first rounder...plus a scoring forward they can flip at the deadline.

@qwijibo I agree it makes them weak on D.  Weber into Gudbranson is a big downgrade, but they also get a lot younger, get better up front, get a first round pick and sell on Weber before he starts his career decline.  They aren't competing this year so selling makes sense.  And if you look at all that Duchene got in return as a young #1 centerman, young top centerman are very hard to trade for and have very high value.

Check again. Gudbranson is a pending UFA. The other UFA I was referring to is Vanek. So. As I said. Galchenyuk for teo UFA's makes no sense.  They say no to the Vancouver deal instantly.   I don't think the value on the Weber trade is bad. But it guts Montreals D 

I guess any trade can happen but I doubt this one, as structured would happen.

Edmonton is already in Cap hell for next year and this trade would add another $1.8M onto their books for quite a number of years. Edmonton would insist on Montreal taking a cap dump back to at least offset the $1.8M.

If Montreal were to make this trade it would certainly indicate that they have not given up on making the playoffs this year. Therefore, I doubt they would be further inclined to trade away Galchenyuk unless they were to receive maximum value. If the Canucks were to be involved with trading Gudbranson to them I think it is more likely that the Canucks would be interested in either Edmonton's or Montreal's own 1st round pick.. I really think Montreal would have zero interest in Vanek.

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Check again. Gudbranson is a pending UFA. The other UFA I was referring to is Vanek. So. As I said. Galchenyuk for teo UFA's makes no sense.  They say no to the Vancouver deal instantly.   I don't think the value on the Weber trade is bad. But it guts Montreals D 

Ah my bad.  I was looking at nhlnumbers.com and they had him listed as an RFA.  I agree that changes things if he's a UFA.  Originally I was thinking a Tanev for Galchenyuk deal but decided against it cause it wouldn't be worth it for us.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I guess any trade can happen but I doubt this one, as structured would happen.

Edmonton is already in Cap hell for next year and this trade would add another $1.8M onto their books for quite a number of years. Edmonton would insist on Montreal taking a cap dump back to at least offset the $1.8M.

If Montreal were to make this trade it would certainly indicate that they have not given up on making the playoffs this year. Therefore, I doubt they would be further inclined to trade away Galchenyuk unless they were to receive maximum value. If the Canucks were to be involved with trading Gudbranson to them I think it is more likely that the Canucks would be interested in either Edmonton's or Montreal's own 1st round pick.. I really think Montreal would have zero interest in Vanek.

Maybe Sekera could be a part of the deal going to Montreal for defensive and cap purposes, when he returns from the torn ACL injury.

I wouldn't see Montreal as viewing this trade as going for it this season.  They'd be trading a 33 year old for a 24 year old.  To me, it would signify that they don't want to completely rebuild (ie trade just for draft picks and prospects) but they want to trade aging veterans for guys about to enter their prime.  This way they can still try to make a run with the Price/Pacioretty core of players.

2 minutes ago, underrated said:

Maybe Sekera could be a part of the deal going to Montreal for defensive and cap purposes, when he returns from the torn ACL injury.

I wouldn't see Montreal as viewing this trade as going for it this season.  They'd be trading a 33 year old for a 24 year old.  To me, it would signify that they don't want to completely rebuild (ie trade just for draft picks and prospects) but they want to trade aging veterans for guys about to enter their prime.  This way they can still try to make a run with the Price/Pacioretty core of players.

If they were to make the trade at the TDL and maximize the trade value for Weber then I could buy into them simply wanting to get younger. But, if they would be looking to make the trade in the here and now, that would signal to me that they are trying to turn their season around and make the playoffs. I think they still believe they can make the playoffs now based on the hope that Carey Price comes back and plays like Carey Price and not Hardy Astrom.

God no, Shea Weber in EDM? Sure, it would be nice to offload Vanek and Gudbranson for Galchenyuk, but as others have said, MTL is bad this year and may not be a playoff team. Not sure they'd want Vanek, and Guddy would be a downgrade on Weber. MTL would probably want Tanev, if anyone.

I think any deal involving price or patches would have to be centered around Pulvi.  If its price I'd expect nuge, talbot, pulvi, and a 3rd minimum.  I will probably get trolled for even saying that lol.  I would like to see Draisitl be part of that discussion.  Drailstil would only ever move if Price was coming back.  I would personally protect drai and mcjesus myself.  Move nuge, pulvi, talbot, and maybe another asset.  I'm curious if edm has their eyes on any of mtl's assets where they could package patches and price but I don't think their gm would be wise to package them both as they are their biggest trading chips.

The salary cap is a big deterrent. Although one of the Canuck goalies could help Edmonton, the team would still have Demko.

Depending upon what exactly the Canuck management is planning to do could make a difference. If they are planning to draft another or promote dman this year then possibly moving Tanev and/or Edler to Montreal/Edmonton. It would not help the Canucks today but could be a huge bump in a year or two. Well beyond just doing it themselves.

As these teams continue to struggle these players may become more valuable to them. but with the Canucks being capped out it likely means there will be no trades on the burner at all for the Canucks.

At any rate if salary was not a consideration it could be a win/win/win idea.

Archived