The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Winter Olympic Games Thread

CBH1926

Which country will win most medals  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Isam said:

Probably not

9 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Looks like she got rewarded for them instead :(

It's so stupid, that skate was not a world record skate. 

Sure, it was fine, but it doesn't set the world on fire. She looked like she pre-rotated her toe loop and underrotated her flip and axel, and then on her first spin she travelled significantly. 

The ISU really needs to step up and be accountable with their own scoring system.

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

Looks like she got rewarded for them instead :(

Mrs. Alf and I really enjoy the figure skating, especially the dance.  I watch and appreciate the beauty and technical merit of all the skaters.  These are subjectivity judged events, so I don’t put much stock in the placing.  All the skaters in the Olympics are fantastic!  Of course, I’m happier when we get a medal.  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mrs. Alf and I really enjoy the figure skating, especially the dance.  I watch and appreciate the beauty and technical merit of all the skaters.  These are subjectivity judged events, so I don’t put much stock in the placing.  All the skaters in the Olympics are fantastic!  Of course, I’m happier when we get a medal.  :rolleyes:

While the performance components (PCS) is judged subjectively, the technical elements (TES) are not subjective but rather is very strictly regulated. When we refer to her edge violations, we're talking about her technique which is supposed to be a definitive area. Thing is, we see her getting away with a lot of sloppy technique and incorrect jumping takeoffs, so on and so on. It's quite a sore spot for me personally. 

But yes Alf, all the skaters are fantastic here at the Olympics! It's such a fun event to watch

1 minute ago, KyoNami said:

While the performance components (PCS) is judged subjectively, the technical elements (TES) are not subjective but rather is very strictly regulated. When we refer to her edge violations, we're talking about her technique which is supposed to be a definitive area. Thing is, we see her getting away with a lot of sloppy technique and incorrect jumping takeoffs, so on and so on. It's quite a sore spot for me personally. 

But yes Alf, all the skaters are fantastic here at the Olympics! It's such a fun event to watch

Any competition where judging determines results is open to personal bias.  Years ago I accepted that, especially in boxing.  Now, I enjoy the athletes, and realize that the best performance doesn’t necessarily win.  

Archived