The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Out of possible Canuck choices I wanted:

1- zadina

2 - Hughes 

3 - wahlstrom 

and I thought for sure 1 and 2 would be gone and was praying they would take Wahlström as he will be a first line sniper and I thought the chances were slim we would get Wahlström Bc JB would pick one of the D ahead of him.

im exstatic we got Hughes 

Edited by brian42

It's important to temper expectations on Hughes - most likely he will require time before he makes the pros.

With this fanbase though you just know that if any of the D picked after him make it pro faster or if Hughes shows any sign of struggle next year (wherever he plays) there will be people calling him a "bust" :rolleyes: .

20 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Question guys. Do you think with the Hughes selection that this potentially opens us up to acquiring a top 2 right dman down the road? Built around Juolevi? 

If we have 

Hughes

Tryamkin? 

Edler (signs extension)

Brisebois

Sautner

I like Juolevi, but damn would a Hughes - Mcavoy pairing be deadly. 

Would rather keep Juolevi. Maybe work something around Gaudette + Tanev if possible. Might not get a top-pairing RHD but a top-4 or #2/#3 RHD would be good.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Would rather keep Juolevi. Maybe work something around Gaudette + Tanev if possible. Might not get a top-pairing RHD but a top-4 or #2/#3 RHD would be good.

I think Gaudette is a player thats worth keeping. But have to pay to get the players you want. I would try to angle things around Lind + Tanev + pick type deal. 

6 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I never respond to the boards because so much is not really good.

You want to trade a basically free player we drafted in the fifth round.  I think the kid is a terrible skater. but he obv  has fire

and u want to move the new franchise dman

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Love how is brothers talk about him here... super skilled.. super great person. He definitely had an influence on why Jack is such a stud IMO

Jack also says he knows that Quinn wanted to get picked by Van, hockey market, etc.. seems like the type to relish under pressure. It will be interesting as I'm sure a lot of people are counting him out based on size. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/draft--hughes-brothers/t-277437438/c-60656903 

Spot on. I was one... My concern was his size. But JB picking him at 7 tells me all I need to know. 

Welcome to Vancouver Canucks Quinn..... You'll be adored up here like nowhere else. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does anyone else think our management might've had Hughes at #3 or #4?

Benning says they had Hughes over Zadina and that after the top two there was "probably one other guy.. or two other guys". Kinda answered the question and caught himself after saying just one. Pure speculation but the "1 guy" was probably Tkachuk, other being Kotkaniemi but they knew he wouldn't be there and they probably still like Hughes more.

Benning said they had him higher, Hayton was the off the board pick before them & they liked Hughes more than Zadina, so. I would not be surprised if they had Hughes #3. 

I heard somewhere Canucks had Hayton rated highly as well but not sure how high

8 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

This pick makes the Gadjovich pick that much more important. We need Gadj to be the big body to keep an eye on the Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser’s. 

I’ve loved the Gadjovich pick since day 1. He’s going to be a beast on our 3rd line in 2 years.