The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

Just now, canuckistani said:

PER CAPITA. If everyone is equal, then countries with 10x the population should have 10x the gross usage. When a country that is 50x our population uses 4x the amount, it tells us that we are far greater polluters on average than they are. yet we wanna pretend we are doing it for the environment. Welcome to hypocrisy-ville. Population: lower mainland. 

yeah I know, the more useless of the consumption stats for this discussion. 

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

actually, i've cited more facts pertaining to my 'opinions' than almost anyone else on this thread. it is a fact that Vancouverites are amongst the top 10% of users of this dirty resource and i am being VERY VERY generous with the number ( as my stats showed, we are, in world averages, closer to being top 1%). Its also a fact that when the greatest doers of wrong/users of a dirty resource/guiltier than rest of the flock sermonize about the perils of the acts they are engaging in, its called hypocrisy. Yes, i know, nobody likes their hypocrisy being demonstrated.  However, the facts speak for themselves.

Cite some "facts" to back up your claim of Vancouver being a laughingstock. That was the point I refuted.

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Then stop protesting its usage for people who use it less than us. The more guilty (we) don't get to act sanctimonious over the same things others are less guilty of. 

Sorry but who is protesting it's usage??

There's nothing wrong with trying to protect the environment.  That's far different from preventing some other nation from using it.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Have you been to Edmonton?

The only good thing go come out of there is ME!  ::D 

Quite a lot actually. I've been most everywhere in Alberta from High Level to Pincher Creek and almost everywhere in between.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sorry but who is protesting it's usage??

The anti-oil lobby in Vancouver. 

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

There's nothing wrong with trying to protect the environment.  That's far different from preventing some other nation from using it.

There is everything wrong in pretending to protect the environment by trying to block access to oil for the world by the worst polluters and consumers of it. Its called hypocrisy. 

• Upvote 1

Buddy's been ragging on Vancouver all day, based on our commuter fuel usage. But more than 60% of Canada's fuel use is actually in shipping goods - its the semi's we rely on due to the massive distances we have to overcome to ship goods. On a personal vehicle basis, we're actually not out worse than anyone like he claims. 

Dude is so salty I think he's got fish sauce for blood. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Cite some "facts" to back up your claim of Vancouver being a laughingstock. That was the point I refuted.

Those facts would require actually being in touch and part of the overseas communities worldwide, something we immigrants are. 

Relying 'heavily' on anecdotal evidence was your charge, yet I've substantiated more of my claims here than virtually any other person. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Buddy's been ragging on Vancouver all day, based on our commuter fuel usage. But more than 60% of Canada's fuel use is actually in shipping goods - its the semi's we rely on due to the massive distances we have to overcome to ship goods. On a personal vehicle basis, we're actually not out worse than anyone like he claims. 

Dude is so salty I think he's got fish sauce for blood. 

So invest more in clean electricity trains before whining about oil. Whether you consume it to drive your cars, heat your home or transport goods, the consumption is due to the lifestyle you choose. 

In terms of vehicular use, Canada is still in the top 10-20% polluters per capita in the world. Rest of the world, especially Europe, Asia, Africa and South America, are not so drive-happy like we are. 

Edited by canuckistani
  • Upvote 1

Those facts would require actually being in touch and part of the overseas communities worldwide, something we immigrants are. 

Relying 'heavily' on anecdotal evidence was your charge, yet I've substantiated more of my claims here than virtually any other person. 

Sure you have....:rolleyes: When asked to back up your claim of Vancouver being a laughingstock, your answer is to tell others to "travel".

What's amazing is that here you are, going on about everyone else being "hypocritical", yet you feel your opinion supersedes others', because you come from somewhere else. You can't even see the blinding hypocrisy and hubris of something like that....:wacko:

• Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Sure you have....:rolleyes: When asked to back up your claim of Vancouver being a laughingstock, your answer is to tell others to "travel".

Yep. For thats where the answer to opinions of the world reside. You seem to think that everything is google-friendly. If you wish to play that game, i can oblige and very quickly expose you. 

Still waiting for how 'heavy usage of anecdote' is a justifiable comment if of all my claims here, this is literally the only one i havn't given you a google link to. 

What's amazing is that here you are, going on about everyone else being "hypocritical", yet you feel your opinion supersedes others', because you come from somewhere else. You can't even see the blinding hypocrisy and hubris of something like that....:wacko:

I don't see my opinion supercedes others because i come from elsewhere. My opinion supercedes others here, because i am not arguing from a hypocritical standpoint of 'lets protest the world's access to a resource we deem as dirty but are one of the worst users of'.  Me being from elsewhere simply gives me less of a social bubble that people suffer from when they don't live anywhere else in the world outside said bubble ( which unfortunately, is 99% of mankind). It gives me  different perspective, not greater validity. The greater validity of my argument is from not being Mary Antoinettes of the world like most vancouverites are re: oil shipping. 

• Upvote 2

Yep. For thats where the answer to opinions of the world reside. You seem to think that everything is google-friendly. If you wish to play that game, i can oblige and very quickly expose you. 

Still waiting for how 'heavy usage of anecdote' is a justifiable comment if of all my claims here, this is literally the only one i havn't given you a google link to. 

I don't see my opinion supercedes others because i come from elsewhere. My opinion supercedes others here, because i am not arguing from a hypocritical standpoint of 'lets protest the world's access to a resource we deem as dirty but are one of the worst users of'.  Me being from elsewhere simply gives me less of a social bubble that people suffer from when they don't live anywhere else in the world outside said bubble ( which unfortunately, is 99% of mankind). It gives me  different perspective, not greater validity. The greater validity of my argument is from not being Mary Antoinettes of the world like most vancouverites are re: oil shipping. 

:lol:

Translation: "My opinion supersedes others because I am right"....

Again. I'll spell this out for you in caps so you can read it: I MADE NO COMMENT WHATSOEVER ABOUT OIL. NONE. All I've asked you to do is prove your assertion that Vancouver is a "laughingstock" and you're provided exactly nothing besides opinion and anecdotes.

It's because you have nothing and you never will, because you pulled it out of your posterior....

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

:lol:

Translation: "My opinion supersedes others because I am right"....

No, my opinion supercedes the counter ones because i am not engaging in blatant hypocrisy. 

Again. I'll spell this out for you in caps so you can read it: I MADE NO COMMENT WHATSOEVER ABOUT OIL. NONE. All I've asked you to do is prove your assertion that Vancouver is a "laughingstock" and you're provided exactly nothing besides opinion and anecdotes.

Opinions and anecdotes ? Opinions of XYZ are always going to be anecdotes unless said opinion is presented with enough sample space and normalization of data to count as a statistical survey. So presenting ONE scenario as anecdotal equates to 'engaging a lot in anecdotes' ,exactly how ?

It's because you have nothing and you never will, because you pulled it out of your posterior....

LOL

Not every opinion is readily available via google. Its too bad you lack the means to gauge the said opinion and you have a vested self interest in not doing so.

Here is one measure of our laughing stock quality, right from home:

https://www.burnabynow.com/opinion/your-letters/letters-mayor-protesters-are-hypocrites-over-pipeline-1.23105782

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/bonokoski-british-columbia-sinking-in-its-own-pipeline-hypocrisy

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-can-pipeline-hating-b-c-possibly-justify-all-these-lng-projects

Edited by canuckistani
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

it wont stay that way, because as history shows us, when civilizations go through abundance and easy life, they get soft and weak. Same as here, where Vancouverites are complaining on how 'we have no alternatives so dont blame us, but we will happily use electric cars, if electric cars were 20K a piece and not 80K a piece like Teslas' while rest of the developing world's carpenters, plumbers and electricians commute 2 hrs each way on buses and trams or sometimes just walk for miles to get to and from work. Soft civilizations don't survive in the long run, either. 

I agree.  But I am happy to be at (or near to) the top right now.  What happens in the future is not going to affect me.  Civilizations rise and fall, IMO, for the betterment of our species.  The great become soft, and fall.  Others rise to the top on their new strength.  

Read "Ozymandias" by Shelley.  Nothing great survives.  The thing about our species is that another civilization rises.  And each tries to be better than its predecessor, thus advancing our species.  

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

No, my opinion supercedes the counter ones because i am not engaging in blatant hypocrisy. 

Opinions and anecdotes ? Opinions of XYZ are always going to be anecdotes unless said opinion is presented with enough sample space and normalization of data to count as a statistical survey. So presenting ONE scenario as anecdotal equates to 'engaging a lot in anecdotes' ,exactly how ?

LOL

Not every opinion is readily available via google. Its too bad you lack the means to gauge the said opinion and you have a vested self interest in not doing so.

Here is one measure of our laughing stock quality, right from home:

https://www.burnabynow.com/opinion/your-letters/letters-mayor-protesters-are-hypocrites-over-pipeline-1.23105782

That's your evidence? A letter to the editor from a guy who starts off by disparaging the NDP? :lol: Nothing anecdotal about that.

Again with the "you lack the means" garbage. Apparently you "lack the means" to realize that nobody is impressed by your "superior" education if all you do is belittle anyone who disagrees with you.

Vancouver isn't a laughingstock. It's consistently one of the best cities in the world to live in and consistently attracts foreign nationals who want to live there. Even entitled, opinionated, condescending ones like yourself....

BTW: I don't live in Vancouver. Never have.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's your evidence? A letter to the editor from a guy who starts off by disparaging the NDP? :lol: Nothing anecdotal about that.

Opinions are ALWAYS going to be anecdotal. I presented two more. If you seek not anecdotal evidence, then you cannot seek evidence of opinions on most matters outside of a statistical survey with enough parameters to qualify as an academic paper. 

Again with the "you lack the means" garbage. Apparently you "lack the means" to realize that nobody is impressed by your "superior" education if all you do is belittle anyone who disagrees with you.

I am not here to impress. And yes, it does seem you lack the means to find out what the world thinks of the people in this corner.

Vancouver isn't a laughingstock. It's consistently one of the best cities in the world to live in and consistently attracts foreign nationals who want to live there. Even entitled, opinionated, condescending ones like yourself....

The bolded part is not mutually exclusive. One can be a laughing stock of innane worldviews and still be one of the best cities in the world to live in. I already answered this and you ran away from addressing it - show us where the parameters towards being rated the best city in the world includes what the world thinks of the political/social views of said city. 

BTW: I don't live in Vancouver. Never have.

Vancouverite-in-spirit i suppose, then. BC NIMBY pride activated because I am calling out the 'jewel of BC' as a bunch of NIMBY-istic idiots , is the most likely explanation towards your faux outrage.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  But I am happy to be at (or near to) the top right now.  What happens in the future is not going to affect me.  Civilizations rise and fall, IMO, for the betterment of our species.  The great become soft, and fall.  Others rise to the top on their new strength.  

Read "Ozymandias" by Shelley.  Nothing great survives.  The thing about our species is that another civilization rises.  And each tries to be better than its predecessor, thus advancing our species.  

Read that in grade 10. Look on my works ye mighty and despair!

• Upvote 1

You want Canadian Oil to be available to the world.  So what is the current % of Canada Oil purchased from India and Indonesia (2 countries you cited)? 

If the pipeline does happen,  I'm pretty sure that China will gobble up any available oil out there.  So how will that improve the purchase power of India and Indonesia?? 

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Opinions are ALWAYS going to be anecdotal. I presented two more. If you seek not anecdotal evidence, then you cannot seek evidence of opinions on most matters outside of a statistical survey with enough parameters to qualify as an academic paper. 

I am not here to impress. And yes, it does seem you lack the means to find out what the world thinks of the people in this corner.

The bolded part is not mutually exclusive. One can be a laughing stock of innane worldviews and still be one of the best cities in the world to live in. I already answered this and you ran away from addressing it - show us where the parameters towards being rated the best city in the world includes what the world thinks of the political/social views of said city. 

Vancouverite-in-spirit i suppose, then. BC NIMBY pride activated because I am calling out the 'jewel of BC' as a bunch of NIMBY-istic idiots , is the most likely explanation towards your faux outrage.

I don't think I do. If Vancouver were a laughingstock, there would be ample evidence to support the theory. Critical articles and the like. They just don't exist, except in your mind.

I agree they aren't mutually exclusive, I just disagree that what you say is correct. I also disagree that your opinion on the matter is more valid than anyone else's because that's all it is: an opinion.

Again, incorrect. Vancouverites irritate me to no end when they talk as though the rest of the Province doesn't exist. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's just plain wrong to call it a laughingstock. It is not.

And to add a little anecdotal evidence of my own, as a former traveling musician, I've been virtually everywhere in Western Canada. Just as I sometimes do, westerners get annoyed with Vancity, (just like they do Toronto) but no-one thinks of it as a laughingstock.

You're wrong on this one, and no amount of differential equations is going to make you right. This is the last I'll say on the topic, because we're derailing the thread, If you wish to carry on with the narrative, knock yourself out. I think anyone reading the details of our "debate" will know what's what.

I don't think I do. If Vancouver were a laughingstock, there would be ample evidence to support the theory. Critical articles and the like. They just don't exist, except in your mind.

Ok. To prove said hypothesis - show us critical articles of laughing stocks from other corners of the world. If you can, then you can have the point. If you cannot, then you must consider the possibility that the evidence you seek, isn't available in the medium you intend to seek it in. 

I agree they aren't mutually exclusive, I just disagree that what you say is correct. I also disagree that your opinion on the matter is more valid than anyone else's because that's all it is: an opinion.

An opinion that isn't a logical hypocrisy is inheritently worth more than an opinion which is. No amount of moral relativism will absolve this paradigm.