The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

starve the poorest? wow man you are way out there on tangents today, I wonder what motivations you'll assign to us next? 

you want to talk about a country literally willing to starve people, begin with China please. 

Saudi Arabia comes to mind. How many have starved in Yemen, thanks to the KSA?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

starve the poorest? wow man you are way out there on tangents today, I wonder what motivations you'll assign to us next? 

you want to talk about a country literally willing to starve people, begin with China please. 

I suppose this is his Vancouver connection...

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Japan says hello. If you think skytrains are packed to the gills or that they have better safety record than the shinkansen, you are deluded.

wasn't that amazing when Japan eliminated cars? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, you're doing one of your Canukistani vortex things again today. You simply can't support this assignment of motivation. 

I already have. When the highest users of commodity X try to control its supply because commodity X is 'bad', its the classic Mary Antoinette effect on the world's poorest. I am sorry you don't like a spade being called a spade. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

I already have. When the highest users of commodity X try to control its supply because commodity X is 'bad', its the classic Mary Antoinette effect on the world's poorest. I am sorry you don't like a spade being called a spade. 

I'm happy to face reality. You've apparently constructed your own. If Vancouverites were as you say they are, we wouldn't have the highest demand for electric cars, LEED housing, or car sharing. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

oh so the developing world packs more people in their transit systems because they are unsafe...but when Japan does it, its what again ?

That’s not even what I’m saying.....seriously you don’t get this?

if I’m in India I can pack my entire family and all relatives on the top of a bus or train because nobody will stop me.  You don’t see how this “safety protocol” would cause overcrowding?

I'm happy to face reality. You've apparently constructed your own. If Vancouverites were as you say they are, we wouldn't have the highest demand for electric cars, LEED housing, or car sharing. 

highest demand means nothing when you are willing to keep guzzling oil more than 90% of the world and refuse to take alternatives that are available, rest of the world does, just because its 'inconvinient' for you. 
Its again saying ' we want our luxuries and until our luxuries are replaced to the better alternatives, we will keep using this dirty resource more than 90% of the planet, but keep trying to block its production, so that the poor of the world, with less disposable income than me, with less access to transit than me, can go screw themselves'. 

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

That’s not even what I’m saying.....seriously you don’t get this?

if I’m in India I can pack my entire family and all relatives on the top of a bus or train because nobody will stop me.  You don’t see how this “safety protocol” would cause overcrowding?

okay. so change the so-called safety protocol. FYI, bus drivers have full leeway on how much they wanna pack a bus. Only bus in Vancouver that even begins to approach Japan/India level of packed-ness, is the 99 B-line. 

okay. so change the so-called safety protocol. FYI, bus drivers have full leeway on how much they wanna pack a bus. Only bus in Vancouver that even begins to approach Japan/India level of packed-ness, is the 99 B-line. 

I’m pretty sure there are people who decide what is safe for public transit before a bus driver does.

whether said driver abides is another issue.

• Thanks 1

highest demand means nothing when you are willing to keep guzzling oil more than 90% of the world and refuse to take alternatives that are available, rest of the world does, just because its 'inconvinient' for you. 
Its again saying ' we want our luxuries and until our luxuries are replaced to the better alternatives, we will keep using this dirty resource more than 90% of the planet, but keep trying to block its production, so that the poor of the world, with less disposable income than me, with less access to transit than me, can go screw themselves'. 

Yup.  True.  We built a great country, where we have abundance, and life is easy.  I vote for keeping it that way.  Selfish, absolutely.  Maybe, though, it's human nature to compete, and dominate?  Maybe that's survival of species?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  True.  We built a great country, where we have abundance, and life is easy.  I vote for keeping it that way.  Selfish, absolutely.  Maybe, though, it's human nature to compete, and dominate?  Maybe that's survival of species?  

it wont stay that way, because as history shows us, when civilizations go through abundance and easy life, they get soft and weak. Same as here, where Vancouverites are complaining on how 'we have no alternatives so dont blame us, but we will happily use electric cars, if electric cars were 20K a piece and not 80K a piece like Teslas' while rest of the developing world's carpenters, plumbers and electricians commute 2 hrs each way on buses and trams or sometimes just walk for miles to get to and from work. Soft civilizations don't survive in the long run, either. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

time to get better training for you then i suppose. 

I was thinking more around the lines of your formal STEM education.      LOL.   

Maybe you should diversity and learn MS Access or Publisher as well ?????

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I was thinking more around the lines of your formal STEM education.      LOL.   

Maybe you should diversity and learn MS Access or Publisher as well ?????

don't worry about programmers mate, the future is ours as you can see. Worry about yours when we create robots to replace your jobs. 

::D

21 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

yeah there you go again, assigning these devious, purposeful motivations. Man you have so much disdain for Vancouver and Canada in general, makes me wonder why you came here and why you stay.

demand means everything. Its a direct window into what we want. People here want alternatives and adopt them at a rate higher than many places in North America. 

yeah there you go again, assigning these devious, purposeful motivations. Man you have so much disdain for Vancouver and Canada in general, makes me wonder why you came here and why you stay.

The devious motives are self evident. We assign it to the rich ourselves, when the rich protest taxation we make the exact same argument that I am making - they wanna keep what they have, while not giving a hoot about the poorest of the society. Well until Vacouverites, with their greater disposable income and greater access to transit than 90% of the planet, starts to not be top 10% of oil consumers, their protests are no more than ' don't do what we do but we need it, you can go eff yourself'. 

demand means everything. Its a direct window into what we want. People here want alternatives and adopt them at a rate higher than many places in North America. 

Pffft.

Demand for better, cleaner, nicer, floating palaces in the sky is everywhere. Actions speak louder than hollow words and actions of Vancouverites is nothing more than ' we will use more oil than 90% of the planet per capita, but its dirty, so we will also block it, so the poorest in the world can go eff themselves'. Thats our actions and that will not be overriden by hollow words. 

PS: I came here and i stay here, because its a soft, easy country to live in. However, i am considering sending my kids overseas to boarding school for a year or two so that they can learn not to be soft as their parents did.