The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Are they wild bulls?

I thought someone just cranked a strap up into their junk or something to piss it off? 

what is 'getting food lol'.....do they slaugther and prep the 'wild horses too....what the Kenny Blankenship are you going on about?

First off it's a flank strap soft rope that's it...it's also not around there junk it lines up with their flank....trying educating your self before you say stupid $xit like that....also those Bulls get treated like athletes and care for like such. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

First off it's a flank strap soft rope that's it...it's also not around there junk it lines up with their flank....trying educating your self before you say stupid $xit like that....also those Bulls get treated like athletes and care for like such. 

I thought the question marks at the end of my sentences might have implied I didn't know how the strap motivation works. 

Flank strap soft rope. Check.

Thanks for the education. You fulfilled your request of me.

They get treated like athletes....? well I just read that it's against the rules to cut the bull or horse with your spurs. They are meant for holding on to the angry animal. That's is a  legit good rule.

Edited by bishopshodan

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Too many deaths chuck wagon racing.  Perhaps those horses could have  raced  in different comps  that were safer.

If 61 kids dies playing ice hockey in Calgary over the same time period... yes questions would be asked about the activity....

Most, if not all, of the horses used by chuckwagon drivers are young (4 - 6 y/o) thoroughbreds that have already outlived their racing careers in thoroughbred racing. Because they start so young in that competition they often end up unable to carry a rider but still healthy enough otherwise to race. The ones that weren't successful enough to be used for breeding are sent to the slaughterhouse. It's not uncommon for a driver to run a team that came entirely from a slaughterhouse and nearly all of these horses are rescues. Any horse related sport will have accidents no matter how many precautions the rider or driver takes.

And while we're on the subject of roughstock events, nothing is done to the animals genitals to make them perform. If someone tied a string around your balls would you jump around and spin? No, you would stand VERY still until someone removed the goddamn string. Literally every precaution is taken to make these events safe for the animals. Those broncos and bulls? They buck for MAYBE, AT MOST 20 - 30 minutes out of an entire year. The rest of the time they're out to pasture.

The PBR even times bullriders now as they get on the bull and get their rope ready. If a rider takes too long they are automatically disqualified because standing for too long makes the bulls tired. All rodeo associations have VERY strict rules about what kind of spurs they can use and all edges MUST be dulled.

Also, a flank strap (the one that people keep saying gets wrapped around their nuts which it DOES NOT) is simply a plain, soft rope that gets wrapped around their flank (the spot where their tummy meets their hip) and gets tied just tight enough to slightly irrigating to encourage them to buck. Sort of like if you wore pants that were a little too tight, you'd be adjusting them constantly and just want them off, right? Same principle.

All animals associated with the rodeo are their owners meal ticket. Whether it's a competitor, a stock contractor, or a driver, they will make sure that that animal is in peak condition.

In short, ya'll have never spent time on a farm or around people connected to rodeo and it shows. Please educate yourself first hand rather than relying on PETA and documentaries using footage from the 80's to do your thinking for you.

If you want a comparison to see just how well animals are taken care of in rodeos in the USA and Canada, I suggest looking up rodeos in Mexico. Fair warning, it's not for the faint of heart. You will feel sick and be left wondering what's wrong with people.

As with any sport, accidents and injuries happen. Take the time to actually learn about rodeo, the competitors, and the stock contractors before you jump to conclusions. The news likes to cherry pick what it shows and for some reason only the bad stuff makes it to the mainstream.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Yah, sounds like a great life.   Big dudes jumping on you day after day with a strap tight under your belly.....

I guess that would be fun for some people.... but probably not all that enjoyable for the bull.

And i guess steers and calves love been roped , tackled and twisted up to the ground day after day as well..... 

Are they treated like athletes as well ?

Too funny but yet true....

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

As with any sport, accidents and injuries happen. Take the time to actually learn about rodeo, the competitors, and the stock contractors before you jump to conclusions. The news likes to cherry pick what it shows and for some reason only the bad stuff makes it to the mainstream.

61 dead horses at Stampede hardly seems like an accident......   more like a strong possibility.....

Pointless suffering of the horses for human entertainment.   Sad..

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

61 dead horses at Stampede hardly seems like an accident......   more like a strong possibility.....

Pointless suffering of the horses for human entertainment.   Sad..

61 horses that died doing what they loved and were bred to do instead of in a slaughterhouse before being turned into dog food.

I'll take that trade.

Edited by RowdyCanuck
Clarification
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

61 horses that died doing what they were bred to do instead of in a slaughterhouse before being turned into dog food.

I'll take that trade.

Exploitation of animals for entertainment  is never a trade that i would make / accept. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought the questions marks at the end of my sentences might have implied I didn't know how the strap motivation works. 

Flank strap soft rope. Check.

Thanks for the education. You fulfilled your request of me.

They get treated like athletes....? well I just read that it's against the rules to cut the bull or horse with your spurs. They are meant for holding on to the angry animal. That's is a  legit good rule.

You do know those Bulls and Broncs go to vet for almost every lil thing and in the pbr they have a vet at the rodeos.... You ever ride a horse? Or a bull? look at it like this grab a suit case strap or handle and you see how that handle sits in your hand well that's pretty much the size of the rope bull riders use so yea spurs are needed....bull riding Spurs pinch the hide and if you've ever worn a leather jacket you know it's thick. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Exploitation of animals for entertainment  is never a trade that i would make / accept. 

There's a difference between exploiting an animal and competing with an animal though. Would call barrel racing exploitation? Calf roping? Thoroughbred racing? Which is a far worse offender, tbh.

Exploitation involves degrading or making the animal behave irregularly for profit. The animals that compete in rodeo love what they're doing, including the roughstock.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, sounds like a great life.   Big dudes jumping on you day after day with a strap tight under your belly.....

I guess that would be fun for some people.... but probably not all that enjoyable for the bull.

And i guess steers and calves love been roped , tackled and twisted up to the ground day after day as well..... 

Are they treated like athletes as well ?

Too funny but yet true....

Big dudes lmfao it's not like bull riders are 300 pounds lol also those Bulls are breed for it and I've seen bulls enjoy hell I've seen a bull stop when it heard the whistle and then leave the arena. 

To be honest steer wrestling and calf roping is the one part we agree I've never cared for them  but team roping doesn't actually hurt the animal. 

Honestly your right there but I don't care what you say about the timed events just don't bad mouth the rough stock events

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

These horses are treated extremely well and truly love what they do.  Take away these races and you take away their purpose and joy. 

I always find it strange when people who's never been 10 feet from a chuck wagon horse feel their opinion supercede the people who live with, love and treat these horses as if they are their own family member. 

I'd encourage you to look into how well these all animals at the stampede are cared for.

https://corporate.calgarystampede.com/animal-care/animal-care-questions-answers.html

I've lived in Calgary for over a decade, but haven't gone to the Stampede once. Not for any moral reason, just that it doesn't interest me (at least, not to the extent where I wanna shell out the dollars required).

But I have friends who raise and love horses, and they also love the rodeo. They know these animals better than most, and don't see any problem with it whatsoever.

It's kind of silly to have people who have little experience with any of this say it should be banned because it would be wrong to do this to a dog. Guess what? A horse is not a dog. (And a dog is not a person...but that is for another thread.)

Don't like it? Don't go then. And by all means, tell others why. But IMO the mere mention of trying to ban what other people enjoy - many of whom have significantly more knowledge and experience - is disrespectful.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

I've lived in Calgary for over a decade, but haven't gone to the Stampede once. Not for any moral reason, just that it doesn't interest me (at least, not to the extent where I wanna shell out the dollars required).

Great to read that you don't support the exploitation of animals. Great decision.

Next time try to read the thread.  The title can give you a club.

It is about the rodeo evolving.......    Can you grasp what that could possibly entail.

LOL.  

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Punishment is not the way to teach your dog.

So how do you teach a dog? do you let it pee on the floor and tell its a good boy/girl And hope to god it stops peeing on your floor?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, VanNucks1 said:

So how do you teach a dog? do you let it pee on the floor and tell its a good boy/girl And hope to god it stops peeing on your floor?

Proper pet owners use positive reinforcement to effectively train animals....   

5 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

Good boy you shat on the floor. Do you want a doggy treat?

Probably more effective   in the long run that your strategy of shoving your boot up the dogs a.........

• Wat 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:58 PM, VanNucks1 said:

Are you sure you don't have a boot shoved up your a.....

Yah, caring how animals are treated is such a crappy thing. 

Oh yeah i forgot. The horses are well fed and got extra carrot every saturday...

Edited by kingofsurrey