The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Oct. 19, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Uh, they lost a game 1-0 (where a goal of theirs was called off).

Yet you're making a major assessment.  It's early on .. they're still in the figuring it out stage and working out some kinks.  Let's wait for a few more games before we decide what they are/aren't?  

A serious contender is not what we are. NOBODY would call us that

we are a team that with some very good luck could squeeze into the playoffs 

when we consider ourselves a contender is when we get beaten by teams like the Devils 

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Serious contenders don’t crap the bed against  other marginal teams 

the Canucks are far from being a contender...today was a reminder of that

Weird, St Louis are the defending Cup Champs and crapped the bed against us literally last game... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

No, you said serious contenders don't crap the bed against marginal teams. 

St. Louis did exactly what you said apparently doesn't happen. 

Ahhh ok got your point 

I am not a n the St. Louis bandwagon actually, never have been. I do not think they are a good team. They caught lighting on n a bottle last year

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 112 said:

ya blew it

Havent watched the game, but reading the box score and the thread it seems like our PP blew it big time, again.

I was going to watch at a more civilized time but I really don't see a point, unless I feel the need to get all frustrated.

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Serious contenders don’t crap the bed against  other marginal teams 

the Canucks are far from being a contender...today was a reminder of that

I don't think many fans think this team is a contender.  Most are just hoping they can make the playoffs this season.

You seem to be taking this loss personally.  A 1-0 loss is not 'crapping the bed'.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Forget about perimeter shots (if their not getting through), get the puck behind the net, swing it in front, and everybody crash the crease for the greasy goals. Team Jumbo.

half_rink_diagram_top.jpg

The New York Times had an article up early this year about how PP are more efficient than ever - there are far less penalties but more PP goals scored.  The coaches/players interviewed all agreed that it's because of the increase in skill level.  Washington was explaining that they just execute and try and hide what they want to do.  The hardest plays for a goalie to stop are now lateral plays.   

A season ago 2/3rds of PP goals were scored off execution and not chaos.  Also only 1 goal on 4 started with a shot from the point.  Most PP goals are now scored off quick puck movement down low - it's quickness and deception rather than a blast from the point and everyone scrambling for the puck.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Ahhh ok got your point 

I am not a n the St. Louis bandwagon actually, never have been. I do not think they are a good team. They caught lighting on n a bottle last year

Thing is, that's often the case.

A team that catches fire and stays healthy has a shot.  So any team can be a contender if things all line up...it's about getting the most wins, not the most convincing ones.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

A team that catches fire and stays healthy has a shot.  So any team can be a contender if things all line up...it's about getting the most wins, not the most convincing ones.

Also saying St Louis isn't a good team is laughable at best in fact the opposite is true, they weren't anywhere near as bad a team as their January record made them look. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yes an ugly win is still a win 

I really like our team, so much better than last year 

we do need tweaks though because I feel we could be better 

letS hope we can move Leivo or Sutter so we can get Baer and even Goldy in .... we need a bit more scoring power 

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think many fans think this team is a contender.  Most are just hoping they can make the playoffs this season.

You seem to be taking this loss personally.  A 1-0 loss is not 'crapping the bed'.

I was hoping we would play with a bit more intensity and not stink out the pp

plus it messed up my Saturday pick em pool!!!

• Haha 1