The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, BPA said:

What I have read (rumors) is that the guy's girlfriend/wife was cheating on him with a new boyfriend.  And they are listed among the dead.  So that can explain the motive.  After killing them, he probably went on a killing spree (going down in a blaze of glory). 

Some comments suggested that the only way to stop this is arming good guys to protect themselves.  I am willing to bet that prior to this supposed cheating that this guy was (from all appearances) a "good guy" who just lost it.  I do not want Canada to go down the American road of having the loosey goosey gun laws.

This isn't really a gun issue per se.

IIRC, impersonating a police officer is already illegal.... it didn't stop this monster from doing it anyways.  

As much as I want to go on my usual defense of firearm ownership.... there's too little information available currently.  

Just now, Lancaster said:

IIRC, impersonating a police officer is already illegal.... it didn't stop this monster from doing it anyways.  

As much as I want to go on my usual defense of firearm ownership.... there's too little information available currently.  

just have to wait and see what he had. If he did have stockpiles and we had a way to track that easily tho that is something that could have alerted the RCMP to him being a problem. Given how planned out this must have been he probably had that angle figured out too. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just have to wait and see what he had. If he did have stockpiles and we had a way to track that easily tho that is something that could have alerted the RCMP to him being a problem. Given how planned out this must have been he probably had that angle figured out too. 

The problem is the definition of a "stockpile".

Someone who is an avid shooter a variety of guns (eg. 1 shotgun for duck hunting, a couple of handguns, 1 bolt-action for long distance at the range, a couple of semi-auto for just some fun in the bushes) may seem excessive for some, but it's just different guns for different purposes.  Or if someone has purchased a few thousands rounds because they have a bunch of different guns with different ammo types and the store was having a massive sale or something.  

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Take it FWIW, but I heard on the radio this morning that he was a "collector" of police memorabilia, which explains the uniform and how he was able to mock up his vehicle.It isn't much of a stretch from there to claim an extensive "collection" of guns as well.

And who knows? Maybe it started out as just that.....

36 minutes ago, BPA said:

What I have read (rumors) is that the guy's girlfriend/wife was cheating on him with a new boyfriend.  And they are listed among the dead.  So that can explain the motive.  After killing them, he probably went on a killing spree (going down in a blaze of glory). 

Some comments suggested that the only way to stop this is arming good guys to protect themselves.  I am willing to bet that prior to this supposed cheating that this guy was (from all appearances) a "good guy" who just lost it.  I do not want Canada to go down the American road of having the loosey goosey gun laws.

It's easier in Canada to own a firearm than in many states. So certainly there is people armed however life isn't Hollywood, one isn't expecting some lunatic to be running around killing people. 

23 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I for one never liked the good guy with a gun argument. 

People think they can shoot well but for the most part, an average Joe without extensive training has a horrible shot. Probably going to do more harm than good in situation of mass shooting. Also doesn't help when the police eventually come, they are not able to tell if one is a good guy with a gun, not like they would have a halo on top of their head. Just going to add more confusion to the situation and more than likely have a target on your back from the police. 

I doubt these situations are going to turn into a Hollywood style shootout. 

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The problem is the definition of a "stockpile".

Someone who is an avid shooter a variety of guns (eg. 1 shotgun for duck hunting, a couple of handguns, 1 bolt-action for long distance at the range, a couple of semi-auto for just some fun in the bushes) may seem excessive for some, but it's just different guns for different purposes.  Or if someone has purchased a few thousands rounds because they have a bunch of different guns with different ammo types and the store was having a massive sale or something.  

I see no valid reason why that kind of info can't be on an RCMP database. It should be something they have easy access to. Yes most people have legit uses, but some don't, and the ones that don't can do a lot of damage. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I see no valid reason why that kind of info can't be on an RCMP database. It should be something they have easy access to. Yes most people have legit uses, but some don't, and the ones that don't can do a lot of damage. 

So the gun debate has arrived. No need for the info to be on a rcmp database. More gun crime in Canada is from illegal guns or people illegally in possession of a firearm. So a gun ban is the dumbest idea as the criminals are not abiding by the law anyway, in fact all it does is make things less safe. Australia is proof of this. Gun laws in Canada go far enough imo.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It would be just going back down towards the Gun Registry policies from before.  

What is legit to one person may not be legit for another.  I just want to go the range and shoot stuff.... would that be considered as "legit" in your books?

The majority of violent crime relating to firearms are usually with those who are engaged in criminal activities and/or obtain firearms from "irregular" sources.  

This mass killing is very disruptive and emotionally charged... but it's an anomaly.   

29 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As far as I know, the gun laws in Canada are quite strict and I want to keep it that way.  I don't ever want to see a "Gun swap/buy convention" like in the USA and all you need is cash and no background check.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

As far as I know, the gun laws in Canada are quite strict and I want to keep it that way.  I don't ever want to see a "Gun swap/buy convention" like in the USA and all you need is cash and no background check.

Again, it's easier to get a gun in Canada than many states. I don't think you are familiar with their system. It's state by state where here it's federal. Alberta would like it's own gun laws but I don't think that will be possible. I think we should but I doubt it happens. That being said, gun laws are strict enough here. The United states doesn't have a gun problem, they have a cultural problem. They are a nation built on hate.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am not a gun advocate but I'm not sure that such a database would be of any help.  They currently have to take a PAL (I think that's what it is called), have written consent from spouse or significant other, and a police background check.  The only other thing I can think of adding is a psychiatric test (if that is at all possible without infringing on the person's rights).

1 minute ago, BPA said:

The majority of violent firearm crimes are usually done by those not even licensed.... 

The Law only applies to those already obeying the law.  

A bit off-track... but there was a shooting at Oppenheimer park and a illegal gun was seized by the police.  No arrests were made, no charges were laid.  

If myself, a Law-abiding Gun Owner, went to the gun range and accidentally left my gun license in the wrong jacket, I would be massively fined and perhaps ending up in jail with a criminal record. 

If the law and courts were a bit less convoluted and evenly applied, and regulations used with facts instead of emotions/politics... most firearms owners wouldn't be as antagonistic to lawmakers at time.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

With events in Nova Scotia, Fredericton, Moncton, Quebec etc. mass shootings are starting to occur more frequently in Canada.
I will leave it to the others to debate about the guns.

I wonder what's the percentage of lead pipes in those area.  

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

With events in Nova Scotia, Fredericton, Moncton, Quebec etc. mass shootings are starting to occur more frequently in Canada.
I will leave it to the others to debate about the guns.

We also have a increase in attacks in the name of islam...

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The majority of violent firearm crimes are usually done by those not even licensed.... 

The Law only applies to those already obeying the law.  

A bit off-track... but there was a shooting at Oppenheimer park and a illegal gun was seized by the police.  No arrests were made, no charges were laid.  

If myself, a Law-abiding Gun Owner, went to the gun range and accidentally left my gun license in the wrong jacket, I would be massively fined and perhaps ending up in jail with a criminal record. 

If the law and courts were a bit less convoluted and evenly applied, and regulations used with facts instead of emotions/politics... most firearms owners wouldn't be as antagonistic to lawmakers at time.  

Very well put.

13 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

A bit off-track... but there was a shooting at Oppenheimer park and a illegal gun was seized by the police

Even more off-track...but man does that Oppenheimer situation suck. So much crime coming out of there and the city vs park board dance is a disgrace. Really makes me angry. Up until a few years back it used to be beautiful. We used to do a yearly karate demo during Japanese Powell Street fest. Kids would be playing, families enjoying the park. 

On-track, yes they need to charge those in possession of illegal fire arms severely. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the gun debate has arrived. No need for the info to be on a rcmp database. More gun crime in Canada is from illegal guns or people illegally in possession of a firearm. So a gun ban is the dumbest idea as the criminals are not abiding by the law anyway, in fact all it does is make things less safe. Australia is proof of this. Gun laws in Canada go far enough imo.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Don't hand me that, it never went anywhere RS. Yes now is the time to discuss it again. 

I have yet to hear a legitimate reason for not having a database. We know every other purchase a person makes. All we need to do is make cash purchases of firearms illegal and we can keep track of stockpilers from credit card purchases. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Don't hand me that, it never went anywhere RS. Yes now is the time to discuss it again. 

I have yet to hear a legitimate reason for not having a database. We know every other purchase a person makes. All we need to do is make cash purchases of firearms illegal and we can keep track of stockpilers from credit card purchases. 

Wtf country do you want to live in? The police and government do not know my purchases. Also what does it matter how many guns I own?