The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. 

This is who we need to convince to bring in stricter controls:

13396122194_f10cc3e5aa_o.png.5fa8a3b6334b2adb2c4c6ceacbda5433.png

Honestly, you are right, after U.S, Canada and Mexico would most benefit from common sense gun laws.

How to get there, unfortunately I have no idea, especially in today’s political climate.

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Honestly, you are right, after U.S, Canada and Mexico would most benefit from common sense gun laws.

How to get there, unfortunately I have no idea, especially in today’s political climate.

i honestly think that you need to use the "death by 1000 cuts" method, much like the religious right in America is doing to Roe v. Wade....restrict certain types of weapons....certain capacity magazines, in certain states.....

BTW: Anyone see the story about "Roe" being paid to come out against abortion?

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess it comes down to that, doesn't it? a border really too big to control and the worlds biggest arms manufacturer next door. 

We may simply have to wait for the US to force their own gun manufacturers to bring in things like traceability. I hate the idea of just being passive about it but that might be the reality here. 

Completely different target demographics. 

It's still the criminal element that's doing the trafficking.  The primary target consumers for illegal weapons are people wishing to engage in illegal activities (drug dealers, criminals, etc).  

The guy going out to hunt, shooting at targets, etc aren't looking for smuggled weapons to purchase.  

While both groups involves firearms.... completely different purposes and completely different sources.  There may be a few overlaps here and there... but they're just smallest of fractions.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Completely different target demographics. 

It's still the criminal element that's doing the trafficking.  The primary target consumers for illegal weapons are people wishing to engage in illegal activities (drug dealers, criminals, etc).  

The guy going out to hunt, shooting at targets, etc aren't looking for smuggled weapons to purchase.  

While both groups involves firearms.... completely different purposes and completely different sources.  There may be a few overlaps here and there... but they're just smallest of fractions.  

actually the NS shooter overlapped for a long time. The big fail there was, why didn't the RCMP pay the guy a visit after multiple reports of him being unstable and showing off his stockpile?

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually the NS shooter overlapped for a long time. The big fail there was, why didn't the RCMP pay the guy a visit after multiple reports of him being unstable and showing off his stockpile?

Not really any overlap is his case.  He wasn't allowed to own guns, period.

A person banned from owning any firearms.... purchase illegally obtained firearms sourced from the US. 

Not sure how that relates to the run-of-the-mill firearms community.  

It's like blaming the pharmacists at Safeway for the fentanayl crisis at the DTES.  Sure... both involves "drugs"..... but vastly different overall.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Not really any overlap is his case.  He wasn't allowed to own guns, period.

A person banned from owning any firearms.... purchase illegally obtained firearms sourced from the US. 

Not sure how that relates to the run-of-the-mill firearms community.  

It's like blaming the pharmacists at Safeway for the fentanayl crisis at the DTES.  Sure... both involves "drugs"..... but vastly different overall.  

because he did have pal and a legal gun, but the RCMP ignored the reports on this guy for some reason. So he was both a criminal and a legal gun owner.

• Wat 1

Guns aside, it's pretty clear that this clown was involved in domestic abuse.

This is a huge red flag, which I've brought up in dozens of these kinds of incidents. IMHO, a restraining order, or charge of domestic/spousal abuse should result in the automatic seizure of all firearms, legal or not.

This should also apply to persons convicted of animal cruelty as well. This sort of lack of empathy is an all too common trait with these guys who "go postal"....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

because he did have pal and a legal gun, but the RCMP ignored the reports on this guy for some reason. So he was both a criminal and a legal gun owner.

Just proves that all the laws and rules in the world are only effective if enforced properly.  

Tons of regulations already on the books to clamp down on illegal guns and those using it in an illegal manner.  

If the police and the courts actually used the laws in place and actually went after criminals, it would have prevented lots of shootings and murders in this country.  Hence why many LAGO are against this ban or additional laws.  A safer society doesn't require more laws, it just requires competent people in charge actually doing something useful.  

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No offence Jimmy, but that question can only come from someone who has no idea about law enforcement.

Police have been turned into mental health / social workers because the Canadian government across the entire country has closed pretty much every mental health centre for hard core crazy dangerous people like we used to have. So police end up apprehending the same dangerous crazy people day after day after day. So much so that the average day for a cop in Canada is spent at least 50% on dealing with those crazies. The entire mental health system knows about them because the cops bring them into their facilities day after day and the mental health facilities release them.

Now with respect to your question about why police didn't find some "stockpile". Well lets see:

1. the crazy killer obtained them illegally from the usa

2. if the cops ran the killers name it would not show he had a firearm license. Please tell me what legal grounds the police have to just go search for some imaginary stockpile? 

3. so many crazy dangerous people get apprehended each day the cops would be searching each of their homes, assuming they had one, over and over and over.

People in this country would go nuts if police had the cart blanche ability to search someones home for no reason at all for guns just because the police dealt with them.....as the Canadian citizens should. That would mean people had no right to not have an illegal search and seizure by the state...the exact thing our Constitution says we are protected against.

So while I kind of get what you say, in the real world nothing works that way.  So no, the RCMP did not fail at anything.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Really?  What is your source?

My link says he had no PAL. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-have-good-idea-guns-used-in-n-s-mass-shooting-were-not-licensed-1.4908168

Edit: you are a good poster...please DO NOT make s&%$ up!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Here is another link:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-shooting-firearms-1.5552773

The ban will NOT prevent the kind of shooting that happened in NS.

Every person who knows anything about the legal situation in Canada in relation to firearm licenses and firearms acquisition knows this.  Even CBC states it...

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just proves that all the laws and rules in the world are only effective if enforced properly.  

Tons of regulations already on the books to clamp down on illegal guns and those using it in an illegal manner.  

If the police and the courts actually used the laws in place and actually went after criminals, it would have prevented lots of shootings and murders in this country.  Hence why many LAGO are against this ban or additional laws.  A safer society doesn't require more laws, it just requires competent people in charge actually doing something useful.  

The NS killer had no license Lancaster. That other poster is wrong.

Illegal guns illegally obtained. The ban would have done nothing.

• Upvote 1

I know this.

You can order high powered weapons over the internet without any age questions etc...

Can take out large game, whisper quiet. I would have thought that you would need some sort of vetting.

Love to shoot these, soo much fun.

IMG_20200521_153236.thumb.jpg.5817e8e41b3f8b4c327d645b132d643d.jpg

26 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Really?  What is your source?

My link says he had no PAL. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-have-good-idea-guns-used-in-n-s-mass-shooting-were-not-licensed-1.4908168

Edit: you are a good poster...please DO NOT make s&%$ up!!

easy man. I thought we had established earlier in this thread that one of his guns was obtained in Canada legally, not trying to make anything up. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

2. if the cops ran the killers name it would not show he had a firearm license. Please tell me what legal grounds the police have to just go search for some imaginary stockpile? 

So while I kind of get what you say, in the real world nothing works that way.  So no, the RCMP did not fail at anything.

By following up on a credible report that he had a stockpile. If they ran his name and found no license, then that would give them credible grounds to assume its illegal. 

The RCMP did fail on this, there's no way around that. Multiple credible people reported his behaviour and guns and no one followed up. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

easy man. I thought we had established earlier in this thread that one of his guns was obtained in Canada legally, not trying to make anything up. 

That was incorrect. Sorry...just got to read the last page....been working.

It was from Canada illegally. He had no firearm license.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

By following up on a credible report that he had a stockpile. If they ran his name and found no license, then that would give them credible grounds to assume its illegal. 

The RCMP did fail on this, there's no way around that. Multiple credible people reported his behaviour and guns and no one followed up. 

Police get told every day that some schmuck or another is gonna go on a rampage.

That gives police ZERO reasonable grounds to believe an offence is about to occur and it certainly gives them no legal avenue to go search someone's house.

You are wrong on this.  

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Police get told every day that some schmuck or another is gonna go on a rampage.

That gives police ZERO reasonable grounds to believe an offence is about to occur and it certainly gives them no legal avenue to go search someone's house.

You are wrong on this.  

what? the RCMP can take the information from a credible person, an argue its reasonable grounds for a search. In this case, we had a very credible career military person who reported being both intimidated by and shown his illegal stockpile. Yes, they did drop the ball in not obtaining a search warrant. 

• Wat 1